User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"goosebox" hitch vs my bw companion

i am new to 5er's(bought my first one this past april). i paid big bucks for the bw companion slider. a little while ago i read a forum post about a goosebox hitch. wow. i was impressed. a much smaller footprint and alot less weight. don't have any idea what these things cost.

would appreciate anyone who has converted from one to the other to help me understand if that would be a thing for me to consider. i'm still trying to get comfortable with the hitching/unhitching process(is she locked or isn't she?). this goosebox would seem to alleviate my concerns.

if a goosebox is a good idea, then i'd have a near new companion slider i'd have to find a new home for.....

thanks
    2020 Reflection 297RSTS. Equalizer 1600 hitch. 2020 Chevrolet 2500 diesel short bed. Charley and Janis. Pets Zoie and Harley.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fifth Wheel hitch to Goosebox

Quote Originally Posted by charley patton View Post
    i am new to 5er's(bought my first one this past april). i paid big bucks for the bw companion slider. a little while ago i read a forum post about a goosebox hitch. wow. i was impressed. a much smaller footprint and alot less weight. don't have any idea what these things cost.

would appreciate anyone who has converted from one to the other to help me understand if that would be a thing for me to consider. i'm still trying to get comfortable with the hitching/unhitching process(is she locked or isn't she?). this goosebox would seem to alleviate my concerns.

if a goosebox is a good idea, then i'd have a near new companion slider i'd have to find a new home for.....

thanks
    I had the B&W Companion Hitch which performed well but I tired of lifting it in and out every time I needed to use the full bed.
    Switched to Reese's Goosebox setup and am very satisfied. The cost took me awhile to justify in my mind but it didn't take long to get over that once I started using it.
    There are claims that it alleviates most of the chucking but I wouldn't necessary agree with that claim. It does appear to help some but so many of the highways around the country have gotten so crappy no rv hitch will overcome that.
    All in all I would recommend the switch.
    Takes some practice before getting the lining up down, unless you have a bed camera.
    Best pricing I found was through "Carid" but "etrailer" was close.
    Hope my comments help.
    Patrick & Sherry
    2018 Momentum 397th
    2018 Chevy Diesel Dually 4x4
    2015 Street Glide / 2017 Road Glide / 2017 BMW 800 GSA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the response. btw, maybe i haven't been paying attention, but we've been to, i don't know, over a hundred campgrounds, and i don't think i've ever seen a gooseneck hitch. is this a new thing, or are most most like me in that we didn't know such a thing existed?

i welcome your take on this...
    2020 Reflection 297RSTS. Equalizer 1600 hitch. 2020 Chevrolet 2500 diesel short bed. Charley and Janis. Pets Zoie and Harley.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems the goosebox has been out for several years.
    The one I've seen is at my storage lot. The storage owner's toy hauler has a 1st gen goosebox.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the response. btw, maybe i haven't been paying attention, but we've been to, i don't know, over a hundred campgrounds, and i don't think i've ever seen a gooseneck hitch. is this a new thing, or are most most like me in that we didn't know such a thing existed?

We travel extensively ourselves and never noticed many gooseneck type attachments either.
    I have however realized that there are quite a few conversions and that I just wasn't noticing them.
    Most though are the the simple pipe extension type and not the more substantial Goosebox system.
    Patrick & Sherry
    2018 Momentum 397th
    2018 Chevy Diesel Dually 4x4
    2015 Street Glide / 2017 Road Glide / 2017 BMW 800 GSA

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a Goosebox FB page that was started in September 2017. When I joined April in 2018 there was maybe 50 members and now 419 members. I don’t know how many actually have one, but interest in the GooseBox and ownership is growing. I bought mine in December of 18, for the same reasons that others have: more bed space and less weight to deal with when removing the fifth wheel hitch. I had the B&W Companion hitch that fit the B&W Turnover hitch system. I liked the way the Companion worked. Easy to hook up and easy to see if hooked up correctly. I have a 2017 Ram sb and use the 4” extender. I can’t do a 90 degree turn but then I don’t want to. Doing so is hard on tires. I can get to about 75 degrees. The GooseBox makes for a smoother ride.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just installed a Goose Box 20k 2nd gen replacing a Curt Q25 and took our first trip with it yesterday. Drove about 350 miles with it. I did feel that the Goose Box rode a lot smoother. I would not say that all chucking was a thing of the past, but all of the motion and transfer of energy was WAYYYYY smoother. Unfortunately crappy roads are still crappy roads but that was a truck issue, the trailer seemed to ride well.

I did almost immediately miss the simplicity of hitching up with a fifth wheel though. Having to line up the Goose Box over the goose ball was a pain but I will get better at it with practice as I get better awareness of where the ball is relative to the hitch. May get a bed camera in the future to help things along.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “I did almost immediately miss the simplicity of hitching up with a fifth wheel though. Having to line up the Goose Box over the goose ball was a pain but I will get better at it with practice as I get better awareness of where the ball is relative to the hitch. May get a bed camera in the future to help things along.”

Here’s my visual aid. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8F46867C-DECF-4F50-8C35-015C220A4FD3.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	22588
    Sorry about the pic being turned.
    Last edited by Silverbeard; 09-13-2019 at 07:41 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While driving yesterday, I was envisioning making something similar, I can get it centered well but depth is the challenging part.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    While driving yesterday, I was envisioning making something similar, I can get it centered well but depth is the challenging part.
    I place it so when the tennis ball starts to move, I’m lined up. It still takes me more that one try sometimes getting the side to side lined up but I’m not being timed so who cares.��

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast