User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Ford F350 with an 8' bed and have the Reece Goosebox on my Momentum. Would be careful going from a traditional slider hitch to the goosebox, might not allow the turning radius you had previously. Yes, aligning up over the ball is more of a challenge than backing into the traditional 5th wheel hitch. But the hitching challenge is worth it to get your bed back and not have to try and move that traditional "large & heavy" hitch. My 2019 F350 has the Ultimate Trailer Tow camera system. I use the CHMSL camera to align side-to-side, and installed another camera in the bed of the truck, onto the "AUX", to see the front-to-back alignment. That way it is possible to hitch by yourself, but it is still a small target to get just right.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go follow Big Truck Big RV on YouTube. He had the first generation and upgraded to the second generation Goosebox and has great videos (maybe 6 or 7) all related to switching to the goosebox from a fifth wheel hitch, road tests, follow up after using for a while, etc. On YouTube search for "big truck big rv goosebox".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I have to agree with the folks that have installed the Reese Goosebox. I have had my first gen 16K hitch pulling my 29rs for almost a year and am very happy with it. I feel that that little trouble lining it it up on occasion is better than having a traditional hitch to deal with. I had a B/W turnover ball installed that keeps my bed open without snags and if you pull a gooseneck horse or stock trailer it’s a no brainer. I also have no problem with the trailer hitting the back of my cab of my f350 shortbed CC.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charley patton View Post
    i am new to 5er's(bought my first one this past april). i paid big bucks for the bw companion slider. a little while ago i read a forum post about a goosebox hitch. wow. i was impressed. a much smaller footprint and alot less weight. don't have any idea what these things cost.

would appreciate anyone who has converted from one to the other to help me understand if that would be a thing for me to consider. i'm still trying to get comfortable with the hitching/unhitching process(is she locked or isn't she?). this goosebox would seem to alleviate my concerns.

if a goosebox is a good idea, then i'd have a near new companion slider i'd have to find a new home for.....

thanks
    We purchased our first 5th wheel (a 303RLS) in in March and had the Reece gooseneck installed along with the B&W turnover ball. Since this is our first 5th wheel I cannot compare the ride or ease of hitching and unhitching, but it is pretty simple. I cannot see in the bed of the truck to line it up either but I have gotten better and faster with time. I have also use mine and my wife's cell phones and FaceTime to line up. We simply call each other on FaceTime and I lean my wife's phone against the front of the truck bed aimed at the ball. It works great for left and right alignment and my wife tells me when to stop. Much cheaper and faster than installing a camera.

Good luck!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased my 2020, 303 new and took delivery in August of 2018. I went with the generation I goosebox from day 1 to eliminate the hitch in the bed. I am totally satisfied in ease of use and performance.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tmrgreg View Post
    Go follow Big Truck Big RV on YouTube. He had the first generation and upgraded to the second generation Goosebox and has great videos (maybe 6 or 7) all related to switching to the goosebox from a fifth wheel hitch, road tests, follow up after using for a while, etc. On YouTube search for "big truck big rv goosebox".
    If I recall correctly, JD has gone back to his B&W Companion. I used his videos on the GB and on the Andersen as part of my research. I went with the Andersen as it was going to give me more adjustment options for clearance.

FYI - One additional thing to consider: How does your dealer handle non-traditional hitches when you come in for service? Mine made me take off the Andersen coupler.

Best regards,
    Chris
    2020 Solitude 310GK FBP
    2019 Ford F350 SRW CCSB AUH
    Former Rig - 2013 North Trail FBS22
    2013 Expedition EL

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am very interested in a goose box. I have a Ford short bed and I am wondering if I use the Reese ball with a 4" offset will it be enough to clear my Solitude. Anyone with experience on this setup?
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaChris View Post
    FYI - One additional thing to consider: How does your dealer handle non-traditional hitches when you come in for service? Mine made me take off the Andersen coupler.

Best regards,
    Chris
    My local service center uses a fork lift with a ball mounted to the tip of one of the forks to move the bumper-tow trailers around in his yard. He used that same setup to move my 5er with the goosebox conversion. No problem there.
    Holger & Corinne
    Granite Bay, CA

2019 Solitude 310gk w/goosebox conversion
    towed by 2012 Ford F450 Lariat crew cab 4x4
    Bilstein shocks, Air-ride air bags
    2 independent on-board Viair compressors w/2.5 gal. air tank
    Boston Whaler 21' Outrage when not towing 5'er

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too was very interested in the goose box conversion, especially after watching all the videos. Alas I probably won't convert due to the fact that it's only rated for 4000 lb max pin weight. I'm at 3860 pin weight without being loaded out for full timing. I think that's probably cutting it too close. Guess I'll stick with the B&W Companion, it's a sweet hitch as well.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WileyS View Post
    I love my Goosebox. I bought the 20,000#, from the dealer and had him remove the 5th wheel hitch and install the box. Was the same price as buying a good receiver hitch. Gives me full use of my bed, without breaking my back. I have two portable cameras that I put in the bed while hooking up. Paid $120 and it makes it a breeze to hook up.

I wouldn’t go back to a standard 5th wheel hitch again.
    Good Luck!
    Wiley
    What camera system you using?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Matt, Trish, Conner & Ethan
    2022 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 Ram 3500 Laramie
    Both Retired USAF

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast