User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wheel bearing failure

We were in Alaska when the outer bearing on my 29RS failed. Fortunately I got the TPMS hot alert and did a left turn (left rear wheel) into a rest stop and the wheel didn’t come off. When I took the tire off to inspect I was able to take off the hub because the bearing had disintegrated. After one night in the rest stop and a Good Sam provided mechanic we got back on the road and completed our trip back to Michigan.
    I’ve taken apart another wheel to check the bearings and races and they appear OK. My question is, in light of my failure of the OEM Chinese bearings do I replace the three other wheel set. Bearings, races, and seal for high class Timkens that are about $60.00?
    Or just do the annual check.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If one failed, what would make you trust your future vacations to the other 3?

At least that is how I would approach the question.

Jim
    2019 F350 6.7L PS SRW CCSB Platinum
    2021 28BH with theater seating and 2nd AC
    2019 Imagine 2400BH w/solar (sold)
    https://rolling.howardweb.info/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One failing would be my call to duty to have all of them replaced. I tend to lean heavily on the preventative maintenance side rather than the fix it when it breaks side. The main reason for this is that when stuff breaks I am usually someplace where help is difficult to obtain.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyvv View Post
    We were in Alaska when the outer bearing on my 29RS failed. Fortunately I got the TPMS hot alert and did a left turn (left rear wheel) into a rest stop and the wheel didn’t come off. When I took the tire off to inspect I was able to take off the hub because the bearing had disintegrated. After one night in the rest stop and a Good Sam provided mechanic we got back on the road and completed our trip back to Michigan.
    I’ve taken apart another wheel to check the bearings and races and they appear OK. My question is, in light of my failure of the OEM Chinese bearings do I replace the three other wheel set. Bearings, races, and seal for high class Timkens that are about $60.00?
    I have had similar issues on my previous trailer. I just replaced the bad one and serviced the rest. Never had an issue with the rest. If they look good without and marking or signs of heat just do the preventative maintenance.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it were me, I'd feel very lucky it didn't turn out worse. If it cost you 240 bucks and some time, I would do it. Especially if you are planning on more long distance towing.
    Gordo Fuchs
    Northfield, Ohio 44067
    2015 305RE Moryde I/S, Electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Makes you wonder why it failed. I've replaced all of mine when I fixed my greased brakes problem. I went with whatever etrailer had and didnt go the Timken route. After almost 20k miles with annual clean and inspects, no issues. I wonder if its possible the last time yours were inspected they didnt get greased properly or the castle nut was tightened too much. On the positive side, you didnt lose your wheel and no one got hurt.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fact that you are asking the question is your answer. Better safe then sorry.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After hearing from my peers, I decided to replace all the bearings with Timken. Got them on Amazon for 60% of the cost at the local store. Bearing packer and race setter made the job easier. Kept one of the Chinese set as a spare.

Thanks for the input.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    After hearing from my peers, I decided to replace all the bearings with Timken. Got them on Amazon for 60% of the cost at the local store. Bearing packer and race setter made the job easier. Kept one of the Chinese set as a spare.

Thanks for the input.
    can you send us the link to those parts?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off; like others suggested to be on safe side replace all bearings and races. 2nd, I started using an infrared temp gun to check temperature of hubs and brake drum at each fuel stop. Just shot light on area closes to hub or spindle(not on cap covering zerk grease fitting as this does not give you a good reading) and then shoot light onto drum area where brake shoes ride. Temps will vary from 10 to 20 degrees especially on hot day where the sun hits one side of camper more than other side.
    Last edited by Buckskin; 09-15-2019 at 06:54 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast