User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Thinking About Getting a pair of E-Bikes (Electric Bikes)

Quote Originally Posted by JCZhome View Post
    You pointed out the down side of the Rad bike, what is the up side?

Also you say you can build an ebike for $500 and introduce the video however, that guy in the video already has a full supsension platform bike to start with. If you're starting from scratch as you or I would be, it's going to be much more than $500.
    The bike was brand new and included in the under $500 price. The electric kit is only $240.
    We have had several Walmart bikes and they were not junk. They were actually very sturdy and took a lot of abuse. The ones I’ve owned were aluminum and had the same Shimano components the way more expensive Rads have.

Y’all spend your money on whatever ya want, I’m just saying you can build one yourself for less than half the cost. And it won’t be junk.

But watch a video like this so you have a better idea of what you’re getting:

https://youtu.be/HW7leoCOgxI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 09-13-2019 at 11:33 AM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for your comments. We are looking closely at the Lectric XP ebikes. https://lectricebikes.com/
    Watched several Youtube reviews and haven't found anyone mention a major issue. Some list things they wish they had, but mostly personal preferences. They do come standard with fenders, head and tail lights, and rear rack. Right now they have a promotion for free pannier bags with bike purchase using a promotion code that several of the Youtube videos mentioned. I understand the Lectric XP is a competitor to the RadMini, but it is several hundred $ less, so it's looking pretty good to us. Anyone out there have the Lectric XP ebike?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We toyed with the idea for a couple of years and rented several different brands, types, different batteries, etc. Finally settled on Magnum E-bikes. Dw got UI5 Cruiser, I got the Peak mountain bike. We enjoy them and have done some pretty amazing rides that we would never had tried with standard bikes, hills are the biggest problem for us.

But be an informed shopper. There are places where E-bikes are specifically prohibited, the two that come to mind are mountain bike trails in Park City, UT and this week the Carriage Trails at Acadia National Park, also Silver Falls State Park in Oregon ban them. There can also be some confusion about the definition of "Pedal Assisted Bicycles" vs motorized vehicles. You really have to get deep into the state statutes to find the specific definition. Essentially less that 1000 watts and less than 2? MPH is a pedal assisted device, faster more powerful then becomes a motor vehicle.

The old gas powered retro-fitted bicycles have created a bigotry that is difficult to overcome. Case in point, my brother in law was an avid cyclist (till he got hit by a car) and when I told him I got an e-bike he asked me what for, I already had a motorcycle. He can't possibly understand why we would get an electric motorcycle. Oh brother....

We purchased ours in Oregon a couple of years ago, we are now in New Hampshire, meaning we have ridden our E-bikes in a lot states and municipalities across the nation. Most are welcoming, some are trying to restrict them, some have such convoluted laws that nobody can understand them and so just ignore them.

If e-bikes are restricted by name we don't ride them there. We took our E-bikes to an approved trail here in NH, the Down East Sunrise Trail, and nearly got run over by ATV's. Misunderstanding and decisions based on bias are common with e-bikes, just be forewarned.

That being said, we have turned over 600 miles on our ebikes all across the nation. We love them.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have had our two Rad Rover Fat tire bikes for a little over a year and really like them. As said they are heavier than standard bikes go but with power it really doesn’t matter. Ours have 7 manual speeds and 5 pedal assist speeds modes and can climb better than a 15% grade. Depending on the terrain we can easily go 30 miles on the flats just using the lowest pedal assist mode and 20 miles or more in the mountains using higher pedal assist modes. My next bike will be a lighter pedal assist mountain bike when the weight and prices come down. These bikes fit great on a fat tire rack behind our 29rs.

BTW: pedal assist bikes can now be ridden in National Parks on bike trails....https://electrek.co/2019/09/02/elect...ational-parks/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I just had a change of heart...
    If any of you golf, you might want to look at these street legal scooter/bikes.
    If I had the room, I'd rather have a pair of these over any electric bicycle!

Check out these guys with the optional golf bag attachment, it's a video clip I found on Amazon of all places.

https://www.amazon.com/Clip-Perez-ta...879041&sr=8-28

Their website is https://phatscooters.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gallery-1_a1cb5a2d-6643-4386-af95-51d23efc1244_2000x.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	22715
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justonemore View Post
    BTW: pedal assist bikes can now be ridden in National Parks on bike trails....https://electrek.co/2019/09/02/elect...ational-parks/

Wish I had seen this a couple of days earlier, the Carriage Trails in Acadia NP looked like a lot of fun. I guess it will take time for the change to trickle down into the parks to get the signs removed. But we are guests in the national park and act accordingly.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDSTexas View Post
    Thanks everyone for your comments. We are looking closely at the Lectric XP ebikes. https://lectricebikes.com/
    Watched several Youtube reviews and haven't found anyone mention a major issue. Some list things they wish they had, but mostly personal preferences. They do come standard with fenders, head and tail lights, and rear rack. Right now they have a promotion for free pannier bags with bike purchase using a promotion code that several of the Youtube videos mentioned. I understand the Lectric XP is a competitor to the RadMini, but it is several hundred $ less, so it's looking pretty good to us. Anyone out there have the Lectric XP ebike?
    We were in one of the first shipments of the new Lectric XP ebikes. Because the bikes are new, they are still filling orders from their pre-shipment orders.

We were considering the Rad ebike before we found the video from Fate Unbound on youtube where they got a pair of prototype bikes to review. Because the price was so much better than the Rad bikes and they'd seemed to be comparable, we decided to take the risk with Letric's new venture on the ebike and haven't regretted our decision. We received our two bikes in early July and took them with us on a trip to Lancaster, Pa in July. We are getting ready to venture out on a six week trip with them and are looking forward to exploring the many state parks and COE campgrounds planned on our journey.

The company has been great to work with and were good (and are still) keeping everyone updated with the status of the shipments of the bikes. I believe the price has gone up a little from their pre-order pricing, but even still they are several hundred dollars less than most of the competitors.

They do go fast so that takes a little getting used to, but there are a few parameters you can adjust to help a little with that (which one of the owners returned our request for assistance one day).

If you have any specific questions, let me know and we'd be happy to talk with you.
    Mark, Linda and Riley (RIP 6/17/20)
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2016 RAM 3500 Longhorn Dually LB
    B&W Companion hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had an old 21 speed sitting in the weeds for years. Decided to electrify it and am glad I did. It is a blast to drive. Highest cost was the battery but 48v 1000w kit was easy to install and has plenty of power.
    Steve
    2017 F350 6.7 Lariat DRW
    2017 Momentum 388M
    North of Houston

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can build a decent one for $1000 +/- +a bike to start with. A bbso2 mid drive allows using the bikes gears to get my 270 pound butt up any hill. You can not build one much cheaper, a decent battery alone (11ah 48 volt) is over $500 bucks.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spent about $600 on my total build. That was with a 20ah 48v battery.
    Steve
    2017 F350 6.7 Lariat DRW
    2017 Momentum 388M
    North of Houston

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast