Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off to utah

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Off to utah

Well we finally got all the details in place and are heading out to Utah in late September. So far we're trying to keep the driving to 500 miles, so we have a stop just outside of Lubbock another one in Albuquerque and finally to Moab.

In Moab we're staying in Spanish Trail RV park for a few days then to Park City and ending up around Zion National Park before heading back.

If anyone has any information/suggestions about Utah I'd love to hear them.

I'll keep you posted on how we do as this will be our BIG trip outside of Texas.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ll be keeping an eye out for updates. This is on our list as a Spring or Fall trip as well. And it’ll be about 20 miles closer for us. Ha.
    Safe travels , Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is in Park City that you are wanting to see?

Zion NP is nice, but I don't think it's the best NP in Utah. Hopefully you are going to Bryce, Arches and Canyonland too.

This is Natural Bridge, in Bryce National Park. I think Bryce is the easiest place to see the most fantastic scenery.

We were on a motorcycle, so we were not just seeing it, we were in the scenery. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    > Alburquerque: we like to stay at Enchanted Trails RV Park.

Moab:
    > lots lot nice things places on the way to Moab (Cortex - Mesa Verde; Monument Valley)
    > Spanish Oaks in Moab is a nice campground (opposite side from Arches & Canyonlands but a good park)
    > nice hikes in Moab from Devils Garden and easy one around The Windows
    > don't forget to spend some time in Canyonlands after dark star gazing
    > Gypsy Guide for smartphone is absolutely recommended for a real good time in Arches and Canyonlands (well worth the price!)
    > go to Corona Arch (use Google maps to find) and avoid some crowds while having a nice hike
    > Grandstaff Trail off of 128 is a nice hike
    > Red Cliffs Lodge (also up 128) has a great (free) movie museum and is a great place to have a dinner and sunset
    > don't miss the night time boat ride up the Colorado

Zion:
    > don't know - stopped going there when it got too crowded. Prefer Bryce, Kodachrome, Escalante or Capitol Reef

same question as arbiter - what's in Park City? I'd rather stay in the places above and skip all the mess in Park City, hewer City, Salt Lake City, Provo - especially if this is your first time to Utah.

have fun
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We'll be in Moab at Spanish Trails starting 10/2 to see Arches and Canyonland, then heading to Monument Valley. Zion is a nice park but similar to being in Yosemite Valley with all the crowd concentrated in a small area. Its worth seeing but not sure worth an extended stay. We really enjoyed Bryce when we were there. Park City is a great town, I was there for over a month when I worked the Winter Olympics. If your an Olympics fan make sure you go to Olympic Park where some of the events like bobsledding were held. It's a training facility now and you never know what country will be there training. There is a museum and some interactive things to do. The summer bobsled run has a limited schedule after Labor Day.
    Brian and Paula- Truckee, CA
    2015 Reflection 303
    2017 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Cummings Turbo, Aisin HD Transmission
    B&W Companion Slider, Firestone Air Bags, Compressor with wireless remote

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure can't see going all the way from Moab to Park City and then back down to Zion. Park City is a mess but if you must see it, I suggest you try to get a spot in Wasatch State Park in Midway, UT. It's close to Park City, kinda overlooking a beautiful valley with a great golf course next to it. What used to be quaint little Park City has now become a big high priced resort town that caters to skiing.
    Bruce & Sue plus 1ea fluffy Chow Chow (Maggie)
    1999 Ford F350 CC Lariat 7.3L diesel Power Stroke
    2017 315 RLTS Purchased Sept 2018
    Reese Straight Line Trunion Weight Distribution
    2000 Mariah Z308 at Bull Frog Marina, Lake Powell

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    500 miles a day? You are going to far, just kidding. We tend to stay around 300 miles per day. We have also traveled that route numerous times. Kids in TX, skiing in Park City. Something I didn't see mentioned was Mesa Verde National Park. Albuquerque to Gallop north on 491 to Cortez then 491 to 191. We stay at La Mesa RV park in Cortez. Small park. Entrance is a little tricky as it is in between a gas station entrance and a 3 way intersection, easy to pick the wrong one.

Outside of Green River you can pick up 191 through Price and over Soldiers Pass. Mind your fuel stops, long time in between. We usually gas up at the truck stop on the west side of Green River. At the bottom of Soldiers Pass is a nice rest stop, for whatever reason that always seems to a good potty/leg stretch spot.

If you decide to go up 550-50 to Grand Junction there is a lot more mountain driving, lovely ride. It looks enticing to take 128 off the interstate west of Grand Junction, I can't recommend that road pulling an RV, just as fast taking the interstate over then south on 191.

It's a most excellent adventure.

Salt Lake to Park City. Both 189 to 40 and I-15, I-215-I-80 routes require climbing a good bit both are decent roads. The 189-40 route requires some city driving through Provo, the interstate route has typical rush hour traffic.

The KOA near the airport is decent, I don't like the other RV parks in the Salt Lake City, city area.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mountain Valley RV resort in Heber City is a wonderful resort. They have an adults only section with it's own pool and dog park. Highly recommend. The Olympic training center for arials is open. You can run the bobsled course any time of year. Lots of great restaurants in Park City.

Zion is a spectacular park. Rent the gear and walk up the Virgin River narrows. Hike to Angels Landing. Hire a guide and rappel the Pine Creek slot canyon. Stay in Zion River RV resort.

Arches is amazing. Mostly sightseeing. Can be done in one day. Arrive early. Do the hike to Delicate Arch.

In Moab, Hire a guide and rent ATVs and have them take you to Hell's Revenge. Take extra underwear. Don't try this one on your own.

Monument Valley (just south of Moab) is controlled by the Navajo nation. If it were outside Navajo territory it would easily be a NP. Stay at the KOA. Hire a Navajo guide and do a Jeep tour inside the park. Certain sections of the park are open only to the Navajo guide. Highly, highly recommend.

Have a great time.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arizona 190422 796-HDR.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	22691

View from the Monument Valley KOA

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We will be watching this as well. Summer/Fall 2020 we are planning something to UT. Will be neat to see where you ended up staying after all of this good advice. One of the reasons I love this Forum is getting campground advice that I can key into my own "Google Map" for later planning. Good luck and safe travels when it comes time to hit the road!
    2018 Solitude 310GK
    2014 RAM SLT 3500 w/Aisin, SRW, crew cab, 8' box, Andersen Ultimate hitch, heated and ventilated seats for the lady.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Just gettin' started...Need to fill the Map!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast