User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

2nd AC self install

Recently we upgraded from a Reflection 295RL to a 337RLS. During my inspection, to my horror, I found out the rig only had one AC unit. That won’t work in Tennessee nor the frequent camping trips to Florida. Now I’m looking at an additional $1,500 on the cost of the rig that I hadn’t planned on. So I began shopping around. The cheapest I was going to get it bought and installed was $1,400. I decided to get on YouTube and see if anyone had a video on how to install it. And low and behold there was a video on how to install it on a Reflection.

Then I began shopping online to buy one. The cheapest I found was at Camping World. The problem with their website was it didn’t really spell out what all I needed to get for a complete install. So here it is:

1. Dometic Penguin II Air Conditioner, 13.5K BTU, Black

2. Dometic Quick Cool Ducted Air Distribution Box, Polar White

3. Dometic Capacity Touch Thermostat With Control Kit, Cool/Furnace, Black

The total cost was $980. I also purchased a tube of duct sealer for about $6.00. So I have just under $1000 invested.

If you order these you will have everything you need to add the second AC identical to what you’d get from a factory install.

The installation was straight forward. All the wiring was right where the video said it would be.

The most difficult things were cleaning the lap sealant off the roof from the vent you must remove, and figuring out what parts to order.

All and all it took me about 6 hours but I tinkered a lot. I’m pleased with the results. Hope this helps someone.

2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2018 Reflection 337RLS
    2019 Ford F-250

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great information thank you. I just finished the same project. It took a little longer than expected but if I did it over again it would go pretty fast. Debated about even putting a second one on and now as I sit it the Texas heat and humidity I’m glad I did!
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I added a Dometic Brisk II to a previous T.H. that I had and I will say one thing, Dometic DOESN'T make it easy to find all the info that you need to do the wiring of the unit to the thermostat. Lots of google searching finally resulted in me finding what I needed, but there were ZERO instructions included with the A/C unit and very little with the single thermostat. Fortunately, that T.H. was prewired for a second unit and all the wiring was in place, but I really had to dig to find the correct wiring diagram. Also, the previous T.H. had the other end of the multi-conductor cable for the thermostat just dead ended inside of a wall......but I didn't know where. I ended up removing some existing switches in that wall, used a flashlight and small mirror and looked around inside the wall until I found the end of the cable just dangling around inside there. Beyond that, the hardest part was getting the unit on the roof of the T.H. by myself. I attached an eye bolt to the top of my RV Carport and hung up a 4 sheave rope hoist and hoisted it up, then backed the T.H. up until it was under the hanging unit. It all worked out just fine, but it was definitely a struggle at times.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking to do this same type of install to my new to me 2018 Reflection 320MKS that we just picked up this weekend. My question, what do you think it would take to have a dual zone thermostat run both a/c units? Does a dual zone thermostat come with the additional temperature sensor? How hard would it be to run the pre-install wire from the bedroom wall to the hallway location of the existing thermostat?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone could offer.
    2020 Solitude 380FL-R
    2019 Ford F-350 DRW
    B&W Companion Hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

2nd AC self install

Quote Originally Posted by cottonakin View Post
    what do you think it would take to have a dual zone thermostat run both a/c units?
    Sounds like more trouble than it’s worth to me. Wiring is already in place and the distance you have to walk is minimal. I don’t see the advantage. I will say I dislike the stock Dometic thermostat. I have a finicky one for my living area unit.

2018 Reflection 337RLS
    2019 F-250 Platinum
    Last edited by Schuess; 07-30-2020 at 03:42 PM.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS
    2019 Ford F-250

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, after posting that, I did a whole lot of research and found that I would need to buy:

1) multi-zone thermostat
    2) external temperature sensor
    3) a communications cable to go between the two units
    4) 2 control kits

Like you, I decided that it wasn't worth it. I have ordered the same 3 parts as you and am waiting for them to become available, Camping World didn't have ANY of them in stock or in their Central Distribution Warehouse. Crazy times we are living in...

On another note, I bet that 2019 F-250 Platinum is NICE! My 2006 has been a good truck but a 2019 Platinum is way outta my price range. Oh well, I'm sure there is a 2014 out there that wants a good home...
    2020 Solitude 380FL-R
    2019 Ford F-350 DRW
    B&W Companion Hitch

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cottonakin View Post
    Yes, after posting that, I did a whole lot of research and found that I would need to buy:

1) multi-zone thermostat
    2) external temperature sensor
    3) a communications cable to go between the two units
    4) 2 control kits

Like you, I decided that it wasn't worth it. I have ordered the same 3 parts as you and am waiting for them to become available, Camping World didn't have ANY of them in stock or in their Central Distribution Warehouse. Crazy times we are living in...

On another note, I bet that 2019 F-250 Platinum is NICE! My 2006 has been a good truck but a 2019 Platinum is way outta my price range. Oh well, I'm sure there is a 2014 out there that wants a good home...
    We bought our 2d AC unit from PPL Motor Homes in Texas. You need to be careful that you get a ducted one and there are some grill parts that don't come with it, you have get separately. My husband thinks he had to buy the mounting bolts and the thermostat separately.

Regarding the separate thermostats - we find it useful to have separate ones, so that we can run the bedroom AC when we're in the living room and vice versa. Makes watching TV, or having conversations much more enjoyable.

The hardest part of the AC install was getting the unit onto the roof. We accomplished that by backing our truck up to the back of the rig, and setting up a ladder in the bed of the truck. Then tying a rope around the box the AC was in and sliding it up the ladder. My husband found the thermostat wiring behind the light switch for the bedroom lights.

We had to buy a low profile AC unit so as not to make us too tall.
    Last edited by livinthelife; 07-30-2020 at 05:03 PM.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)