User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question 337RLS with 2011-2014 2500HD... anyone with this combo?

I posted several months ago asking questions about the 303, 6-1/2' truck beds and slider hitches. Things have progressed to the point where we are ready to sell the house and go full-time sometime within the next year. We already have a 2013 Sierra 2500HD 2WD SRW with the Duramax/Allison drive-train (and only 10,000 miles on it at this time). We can't really afford or justify selling or trading up to a 3500 or 4500 series truck. We still want to stick with a Grand Design units and have our sights set now on the 337RLS for the extra space and amenities for full-timing. We've had the truck on the CAT scales, have done the weight math, and - if we're careful - can stay safely within the remaining load limits for the truck and rear axle. (We'll never get anywhere close to the max GCVWR for the truck due to limitations on pin weight.)

The questions I want to ask today are these:

1) I measured a 337RLS today and, sitting fairly level, the distance from the ground to the load-bearing surface on the pin box (in its highest position) is only 44". I checked and the axles are already under the springs, too. If anyone has this combination, were you able to able to get the trailer level when on the hitch?

2) The second question is somewhat related to the first. Most slider hitches (including the Pull-Rite) add 3"-4" to the minimum height of the hitch plate from the bed. For this reason, I would rather go with a non-slider hitch in order to have a wider range of height adjustment do deal with #1 (above). I've not clamped 1x2s together to simulate the pin and front of the trailer, but talking with my dealer leads me to believe that, with a 6-1/2 foot bed, the extended pin box and curved/indented front cap on the Reflection, I wouldn't need a slider hitch for anything except an extreme jack-knife situation (and I'm NOT a former big-rig driver who might try something like that!). Is anyone pulling a Reflection (they all seem to have the same pin box and front cap) with a 6-1/2 foot bed without a slider? If so, how's that working for you?

If anyone owns a 337RLS and would like to chime in on its suitability for full-timing, what you do/don't like, or other experiences you've had, I'd like to hear about that, too.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob, I can't speak for the short bed, but I have a 96' F-350 4×4 crew cab, and our 337rls sits level with about 7" between the bed rails and trailer. I have a 16k High Jacker non sliding hitch. I was worried about ride height too until I hooked up to a Reflection and Solitude at the dealer to check it out. I can still go up 1 set of holes, and down 2 on the hitch. I didn't have to mess with the pin box adjustment at all.
    Sean and Donna Duling
    2015 Reflection 337rls #627
    1996 F-350 CC 4x4 DRW 7.3L
    Ferndale Wa.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1970kw View Post
    Rob, I can't speak for the short bed, but I have a 96' F-350 4×4 crew cab, and our 337rls sits level with about 7" between the bed rails and trailer. I have a 16k High Jacker non sliding hitch. I was worried about ride height too until I hooked up to a Reflection and Solitude at the dealer to check it out. I can still go up 1 set of holes, and down 2 on the hitch. I didn't have to mess with the pin box adjustment at all.
    Thanks, Sean. Do you have any idea what your bed height (distance from bed to ground) unloaded? My understanding is that the beds in the late model trucks are MUCH higher than they were in the '90s or first half of the 2000s'.

Rob

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 337 will make your truck squat 2", with 8" of bed clearance you will be 4" nose high. I actually installed correct track over the existing correct tract to gain 2" lift. To do what I described involves some fab work, so I don't know if you want to go that route or not. I cut the hanger bends that hold the correct tract cam in place off my trailer. You can't install the aftermarket correct track on top of correct track. After cutting the factory ears off the factory hanger you then have a smooth spring hanger to apply the aftermarket correct track on. Since the factory welded correct track hanger has a slotted adjustment hole at the bottom, and you put the aftermarket bolt through it you must weld the correct track to the factory hanger. This sounds like a lot of work to gain 2" of height, but I am very concerned with towing as level as possible, I am now very close. If you are not overly concerned, you will be around 4" nose high if you require 8" bed clearance. If you can get by with less than 8" bed clearance, you can get close to level right away.
    Steve and Schlonda- Virgie, Kentucky
    2017 Momentum 328M
    Morryde 8K Independent Suspension, Disk Brakes
    2021 GMC Denali 3500 SRW
    Airlift Wireless Air
    B&W Companion Slider

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just so you have some real numbers, I've weighed our 337 on our last trip...2820# pin weight and 12880# total. That's quite a bit more than I expected thinking that we don't load too heavy but with all the room, it's easy to do. I'll be putting it on a diet and trying to re-position some things.

With the Ford 6.75" box, I've got into some tight spots without using the slider...have more clearance now as I've installed a B&W Patriot hitch with adjustment front to back. I'm now 4" further back than I was and still just ahead of the axle centerline.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob, it's about 57"

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is some heavy pin weight Dave, I suspected something around 2500lb. I need to make a trip to the scales now, thanks for the information.
    Steve and Schlonda- Virgie, Kentucky
    2017 Momentum 328M
    Morryde 8K Independent Suspension, Disk Brakes
    2021 GMC Denali 3500 SRW
    Airlift Wireless Air
    B&W Companion Slider

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glazier View Post
    That is some heavy pin weight Dave, I suspected something around 2500lb. I need to make a trip to the scales now, thanks for the information.
    That's what I would have guessed too but there just isn't much storage behind the axles to offset weight added in the front storage so pin weight % increases.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2013 GMC Sierra 2500 extended cab 4X4 6.0 gas Z71 package with the 6 1/2 ft. bed. After I bought this truck I filled up the gas tank and went to the town scales. My payload capacity is 2760 lbs. I have a PullRite Super 5th 16K Hitch. We have a 303. Hauled all summer without a slider. No problems. If I had to cut sharp I would just keep an eye on my corner. Never was concerned. I installed AirLift air bags on my truck before I got my 303. My setup rides awesome going down the road.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We own a 337rls. Absolutely love it!! Must have upgrades: maxxfan/fantastic fan in bathroom and 2nd a/c if plan on being in hot/humid climates. Oh, and mattress upgrade or foam topper. Otherwise perfect, very comfortable, plenty of space, and you don't have to have a huge truck to pull it.
    Scott and Jan Platt Ocala, FL
    Cameron(Son) & Chica(chihuahua)
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4X4, Crew Cab, Dually, Diesel
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast