User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have two full-sized Australian Shepherd puppies, one 5 months and the other 7 months. They stay in crates every night - all night for 8 hours with no problems, they do have to be trained to do that but it's not hard. Ours run to their crates every night after they have their final evening potty break. A fair amount of exercise is a must but something a lot of people don't consider is that these guys also need mental stimulation. We generally walk them two miles 5 or 6 days a week and the mental stimulation comes from training. We got two puppies so they could play together, that helps with the physical exercise quite a bit plus they tend to keep each other occupied. We crate our pups occasionally during the day but don't exceed 4 hours. The mini's are great dogs too, good luck with yours.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CodyAndJake 081419.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	22731
    Steve and Peggy
    Based in beautiful East Tennessee
    2016 Reflection 337RLS
    2017 Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4 CTD

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's something to which I can add my opinion.., after having had multiple dogs for many years now. There's a difference between how long you can leave your dog alone and how long you can crate them. Given the crate is big enough for them to stand up and turn, 4-6 hours seems feasible. Nights are different, their body slows down just like ours. Young pups need to go out more often, takes them a while until they can hold it physically. I had a dog, I was supposed to dogsit, hold on for 15 hours, not on purpose, the owner had me locked out by accident. Man, I felt so bad for the pitbull terrier girl. I ended up crawling through the kitchen window to give her relief!
    Most dogs do better when they come in twos or more, but there are exceptions.

Relax, enjoy, men are manlier with showing love to a dog. a true leader knows when to be kind.
    Last edited by BeenGone; 09-25-2019 at 07:11 AM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you should loose the "man card" for being against having a dog.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We can leave our 2 Border mixes for 8 hours or so, but they are not crated.
    We also have our own wifi and a blink system so we can watch them keep an eye on the temperature in case of a loss of electricity.
    If you are going anywhere pups can go always take it along. Being left alone is very hard on the herding breeds, they need interaction and to feel useful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is OK to have a Dog! Knowing how to communicate with any animal is a must ,if you want to have a true family member and a joy to have with you. We now have two Mini Tri Ausies, and a toy Ausie. They are all three good natured and only want to please. Our oldest is now 5 years, and our youngest just turned one. They are all related with either the same mother, or Stud. We started training them to a small carrier from the time we got them all at 8 weeks. At first I stay up with them for the first week to make sure to take them out BEFORE they have their GOT TO"s. That usually only lasts two days, sometimes lasting 3 to four hours before they whine. After about a week, just before 10 weeks old, all of them can make it at least 5 to 6 hours before they require outside time. I call this BONDING time because they always want to play a little before I can put them back in their plastic crate. I let them see me so they don't get scared/insecure, and then they usually go to sleep pretty quick. Keep the light level low and it helps. I feed them only twice a day, early morning and then again 4:00 in the afternoon. I let them play as soon as they eat in the morning, making sure they can be put out quickly if they need their GOT TO! You have to watch them consistently during this early time, so you don't let them go in the home /RV. If you are consistent and focused on them, you will catch them before they have an UH OH! The more focused you are, the quicker they pick up on knowing they MUST go outside. DO NOT scare them or punish them if they do have an accident. It is YOUR job to stay focused on them to avoid the UH OH! They are sometimes quick at first so pay attention and stay close. You will be amazed at how quick they catch on, and they then will run to the door and look at you to let them out/ Take them out! I have potty and crate trained many different Breeds, but my Ausies have been the quickest to catch on. Our youngest took 3 days and she would race to the door.
    The Carrier/Crate training is also done with consistency. They all three love their crates, and I sometimes put the two smallest ones in One metal crate and the oldest in her own. We only take two crates in our RV, 300GK, a small metal crate, and the one year old just loves her plastic carrier so much we let her stay in it. If their is one thing to remember it is that animals learn by repetition and they learn habits quickly! By the time our first Ausie was twelve weeks old she learned that I normally get up around 5:00 or 5:30. I take her outside and then come in and feed her. We hang out together for around 3 hours, then it is HER NAP TIME. I say Nap TIME, and she runs to her crate. It took consistency but she caught on quickly. She learned to NAP from 0830 until 2:30. I sometimes have to wake her, then it is outside and feeding time. After about an hour of playing time, we go back outside for whatever she needs to do. She goes with me everywhere except restaurants. I never have a concern, because she just sticks to me wherever I go. "Nappy time," gets her scrambling to her Crate. It is really Enjoyable to have these little guys around. All of them have about the same personalities, and they all learned the same way. They just want to Please. In the evening at around 8:30 they get right in your space and Look right at you. They are ready to go outside one last time and when we come in, they run to their crates and got to sleep. It is so easy to stay on schedule with these girls! LOL One thing I may add. After the first week, they may have an accident, maybe Not.
    I think I can probably take that hit for not catching their signal to me. Sometimes I do get distracted by the wife or something I am doing. Traveling with the three of these Mini's, is enjoyable and they make it easy. They get so excited when they see us packing things and and putting bags by the door the night before we load up the RV. SO SMART!
    I hope you enjoy your Aussi as much as we do ours. Be Patient and the reward you will receive is Amazing.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1st Cav Duke View Post
    let them play as soon as they eat in the morning, making sure they can be put out quickly if they need their GOT TO! .
    I may have misunderstood but there are dogs who need quiet time after feeding really badly. You have to wear them out and give them opportunity to relieve themselves before you feed them. Otherwise you risk bloat. Some dogs are more prone as others. It makes sense when you think of canines in the wild, or even us humans, after the stomach is full, it's quiet time. But maybe I misunderstood.

If you have puppies though, they need to go out after 1-2 hours after a meal to avoid accidents, regardless whether you've been out with them before their meal.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 1 year old Golden Doodle who has been crate trained since we got her. You will find there are people who are for crates and against. Our main purpose of doing it was we couldn't take her everywhere we went and didn't want her getting into to something or chewing anything up. We started as soon as we got her and it was a battle at first. As she grew older we had to buy a bigger crate so she has plenty of room to move around and lay & stretch out. We would always throw a few of her toys in with her when we left, time would vary from 1/2 hour to 6 hours as she grew older. That was also her bed every night so she grew accustomed to it, so much so that during the day when she wanted a nap she would go lay in it with the door open and fall asleep for an hour or two. Now that we have her trained we rarely use it anymore but we still find that she will go lay in it herself as i believe she likes having "her space"!
    Jason & Jamie
    2016 F150 Lariat Supercrew 4x4, 5.0L, 3.55
    2020 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    The Great PNW!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to have Big White Pyrenees dogs that were my ranch dogs. They were totally Outside and watched the horses in their pastures. That was their JOB. They did usually go find some shade to lay down in after their Once a day Feeding. The Labs and shepherds I have had were not that way at all. They just wanted to hang out with me after their feeding. They were both indoor/outdoor models. These little Aussies just have energy and want to play with each other and wrestle with their toys. If they see me leaving, they want to go with. I usually let them outside with me at home if I am outside, and they wrestle there, as long as I am in their sight. They Nap from about 0830-2:30 or so Every day. When I feed in the afternoon, they are fully energized and ready for action! They don't even think about Sleep until around 8:30 or sometimes 9:00. That is OUR Bonding time and they are with us and wrestling, keeping us near. They also love to go for their walks which I try to do frequently. I sometimes don't walk them as frequently at RV parks, because sometimes other dogs get pretty aggressive and I don't know how much control their owners have. I get them up at 0500 in the morning and take them outside to do their business, then feed them. After they eat and wrestle with each other, they usually ask to go outside to do their business, then come in and want some people attention up close. It is still dark outside so they are kinda wanting attention. When my wife wakes up, they go nuts again and wrestle and play until about 8:30. They just know, (HABIT), and get in my space waiting for my clue, NAP Time. They race to their crates for their Naps until 2:30, sometimes 3:00. This is their schedule even in the RV. We can modify our times in the RV, so my wife and I can go see things at our RV stops. We do usually limit our time away from the RV in summer time, because of our concern that if the AC fails or if the power goes out, the little girls would suffer. That would be my only suggestion to leaving your pooches in the RV during high Temperature days, for more than 2 to 3 hours at a time without checking on them. This has been mentioned on another thread also.
    They travel with us always, and we have gone on two 32 day trips across country and many trips staying in Texas, to the coast and North of Dallas and the San Antonio area. They love to travel and sleep in the back seat of the truck on the road. Easy Keepers.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a Pyre, they are aloof sons of guns, they find their task and stick to it, very protective family dog. Only dog we have ever owned that acted more like a cat!
    On our 3rd Saint Bernard and she goes everywhere with us, the seats in the back of the truck fold up and she has lots of room to lay down and get comfortable. No crate, hard to get one large enough to let her turn around. She has the run of the trailer, which means she pretty much takes up the whole floor. In the four years she has been with us, I’ve heard her bark maybe four or five times, super quiet. Loves the dog park and accepts pretty much all others, except for Shepards. Your mini Aussie is likely to be a barker, most I’ve known are. Friends have two of them and if left in the rig, even in a crate, they bark like crazy and someone complains and they have been asked to leave the campground.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are right about my Pyrs. I didn't ever have to show them to watch the horses. As soon as they got to be 6 mos old I brought them to the pasture, and that is where they lived. I only brought them into my interior grounds during Stormy or Super cold weather. Just Great protectors and followed the horses throughout the day and tried to stay in shaded areas. At night they saved the Goats and horses numerous times from coyotes. Never lost a goat.
    I must have some really odd Aussies. After we got the first one, we were so surprised that she was so quiet. We didn't even know she could bark until she was almost one year old. She barked at the doorbell and figured out that it meant someone was at our door. We have cured that issue. It is amazing what a stern look will mean to these little dogs. They just want to please and a loud voice really scares them. I don't have to vocally correct them. They seem to figure out that they did something wrong, and come to me and suck up. It is too funny sometimes. She does bark at the shore birds running on the beach.
    Our second one is one and a half years younger and our firsts sister. She is a toy. She only barks when the older one does. So not so much. Our third is one year old and Super shy. She is also related , has a different mother and 3years behind our first one. She is so stuck to us and so shy, she will hide in her crate if someone comes over she doesn't know and trust. It takes her a long time to trust anyone but my wife and I. It took two people to hold her down so the groomer could just clip her nails. It is funny , but embarrassing. She is a real lover but gets scared mighty easy. She is laying on the couch next to me now, with her head on my leg as I write this. Just fed them and getting ready to go out back with them. My neighbor, that has two loud Pit Bulls, didn't even know I had dogs and they just moved in July 4th.
    I keep my hounds quiet and they know acceptable behavior. We are empty nesters, and our Ausies are our kiddos. We never let our dogs outside unsupervised. We have had a rattlesnake get inside our back fence, and luckily I saw it before the kiddos did. In Texas, rattlesnakes come with the territory. My other neighbor , also a recent move in, is really concerned for my hounds because of those Pitts. My Privacy fence is new and has stone on the bottom so I don't think I will have a breach any time soon. Maybe I will build a Moat and put Piranha in it just in case! LOL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast