User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crate time, what's your limit

Well I caved in. Yep, been without pets for about 8 years. My beautiful partner has been wanting a dog for a long time. UGHHHHH!!!!! Now she has one, it's an Australian Shepard, I tell everyone that without the Mini part so I can keep my man card. but on a serious note, we always just do our thing, now we will have to limit our day trips and entertainment which is what it is. The million dollar question is, How long do you go away and leave your pet, (dog) in a crate. She is pretty good in a crate and is still learning our routine. we have had her four weeks as of today. We had here one week at home, then one week in the trailer, now two more weeks home and we leave for five weeks around the 8th of October. just a few thoughts, comments etc. Thanks in advance. Jeff
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't help you with crate time, but here's our Aussies. The mini is our daughter's.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171224_093611.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	22612
    People keep telling me to follow my dreams...so I went back to bed

2019 303rls
    2017 GMC 2500hd ccsb 2wd 6.0 gas
    Andersen ultimate rail mount hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please be mindful to a power failure and loss of AC on hot days. If you have to turn your "man card" in tell me where to take mine, we have a 10 week old toy Aussie.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It totally depends on age first, then maybe temperament. No more than a couple of hours for a puppy. Do you crate overnight? Is the dog just fine all night, every night? Have you done test runs - crating the dog in the RV, and quietly staying outside for an hour or two to see what the reaction is (barking, howling - or nothing).
    Huge numbers of people leave their adult dogs home, inside, every day to go to work. Same can happen for an RV - so easily 4-6 hrs, 8 if one really has to. But you have to make sure yours is not a loneliness barker. Our 13 yr old ("real" Aussie and 2 yr old, both stay loose in the camper when we leave, with no issues. As long as we keep the blinds on the windows closed. They will bark at passers-by if they see them. Camping, we never leave more than a couple of hours. But we went through a long period of testing before we were sure we could trust them. Nothing worse that a dog barking continuously inside a camper all day in a campground!
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on the dog. We had a Peek-a-Poo who was fine for about 5 minutes then would bark until someone let him out, he had separation anxiety and we never did find a cure for him. We also had a black mutt who would lay in her box for hours, even when we were home and it din’t bother her at all.

Aussies are bred to be working dogs which means an intelligent animal designed to be active for long periods so keeping one in a crate for anything other than a short period could be a problem, trial and error are going to be the only way to find the answer.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crates and Aussies don't always go together to well. They are energrtic dogs and if they do not get to spend their energy both physically and also mental stimulation you will end up with a potential handfull of trouble. Some Aussies can have a destructive way of entertaining themselves.

We have never crated our Aussies, they are extremely trainable and eager to please. They are also very velcro and need to be with their people as much as possible. If you got a pup and plan on leaving it for extended periods fencing off a section of a room may be a better option so they can move around and play with all the new dog toys. Puppy proofing the room goes much further than a crate
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 09-15-2019 at 11:49 AM.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jeff & Karen,

Great advice in this discussion! Herding dogs do not do well alone or in crates for any length of time. You are at the "optimum age" for training this new puppy, so don't let any good behaviour go unrewarded or any bad behaviour go uncorrected. These dogs are incredibly smart and will learn both good and bad very quickly.

Molly and Angel have just one question . . . you're going to leave him alone ?? Their advice is that you should get another one LOL !

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0302 2.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Jeff & Karen,

Molly and Angel have just one question . . . you're going to leave him alone ?? Their advice is that you should get another one LOL !

Rob
    As crazy as that sounds it is really good advice .. also, Koda said he agrees
    Makes me think back to when I said to Gary that "Koda need another dog" , once the 2nd Aussie arrived it seemed to all make sense , even to Gary .
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, about the man card. We used to raise boxers, yes that's a manly dog. One day I saw an ad for a rat terrier, WTF, I decided I want one of those 12 pound things. Bottom line is now 10 years later, we have 2 more runts, 2 rescue terriers that do not weigh 20 pounds between the 2. And we love them all as much as our departed boxers. It is not the size it is all about the family. Our dogs do not know they are runts. They are just great and with proper training all dogs make good family.members.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @JiMissy . . . Great post .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast