User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    With a 2990 pin weight and 16800 GVW you will be hard pressed to find an F350 dully or equal that can handle it and stay withing towing limits. No matter what brand you will need max payload and lower gearing 4:10 or better. Be looking at the door stickers to check the trucks rating. If I was doing this I would want an F450 or equivalent. You might want to check Trailer Life listings for one of those dedicated semi tractor tow vehicles.

Now - don't want to be a bummer here, but check your states licensing. If the Combined GCVWR for both units is above 26,000 lbs you may need a special license or even a CDL. your trailer is about 16800 GVW so it will be easy to go above the 26000 with an F350 or equal truck.

What did you dealer tell you to get?
    What did the dealer tell me? It is a Camping World, last thing I am going to do is listen to the dealer

I've done some shopping around and am going to look at 8 trucks tomorrow. 6 F-450's a Dodge 3500 and GMC Sierra 3500HD - leaning towards a 450 king ranch. Favorite so far from online viewing is the all black Harley Davidson King Ranch but doubt I'll go with it. Have to restrain myself from focusing on the shiny things and concentrate on the meat under the skin.

I live in Virginia and there are no special license requirements... although I might look into some courses and consider an upgraded license just to get the perspective. I think it would make me safer driver.

Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    I'm not sure how you got the idea that a F350 Dually wouldn't handle that trailer, but you are way off base with it. I have a 2016 F350 Diesel Dually with a payload of 5270 lbs, and it's a loaded up truck (King Ranch), which means there are others out there that have less equipment...so even higher payload capacities. A trailer with a GVWR of 16,800 lbs is going to put a pin weight of approx 3360 (20% of the trailer weight if fully loaded to GVWR). That leaves a little over 1900 lbs for the rest of your stuff.....passengers, 5ver hitch, toolbox/tools, etc, etc. So payload numbers are good, GVWR on the truck is good, GCVWR is good, RAWR and FAWR...Good, tire load capacity is good if the truck is within the GVWR....that's it....all good to go.

And BTW, I tow a Momentum 394 with a GVWR of 20K lbs and it is within ask of those weight ratings...and it has a 3:73 rear end and does just fine
    I have found a few used 450's with under 100k miles that fit in the budget so I've settled on an F-450 if I go with Ford.

Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    Yes a one ton can handle that trailer but not a SRW. My Solitude has the 16800 GVWR and my pin weight is scaled verified at 3860 pounds, that's 23% which is more realistic than 20%. 4100 payload minus 3800 pin weight doesn't leave much room for anything else in the truck. My trailer scales at 16500 pounds and with 5260 payload I'm easily within all its limits. OP I see no need for an F450 unless you want the tighter turning radius but a F350 dually will easily handle that trailer. Powerscol is correct in that some states may want a non commercial license if over 26K pounds, Texas does. Since I'm at 25600 combined I'm looking into getting one to be safe.
    I'm thinking the same thing.

Thank you everyone for the advice. I can see talking haulers can open some pretty big cans of worms. One of these days when I have a few thousand miles under my belt, I'll be right there with you arguing the finer points of tow vehicles!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to agree with some key points, as an owner of a 379FLS and an F350 dually:
    > The F350 dually pulls it effortlessly, including up and down significant grades. Very non-stressed and comfortable ride.
    > I have driven a friend's F450, and the turning radius difference is very noticeable. That said, while I like the 450 better for that reason alone, three seasons with this camper/truck combo, and I have not been terribly inconvenienced by the lesser turn radius of the 350. Given the right deal on a 350; I wouldn't hesitate to recommend that path.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ram 3500, Cummins with an Aisin transmission. Truck is a beast, just redesigned so should be able to get a ‘16-‘18 for a good deal.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a momentum 328, 16,500 lbs towing with 2016 Ford F-250. Have no problem s. Also truck is for sale, bought new class A at Hershey

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also consider what dealerships are in your area. Dodge, GM, Ford. What is their reputation? Have you had any personal experience with them? When I lived on the west coast It would be a cold day in He!! if I bought a Dodge/Ram product. The 2 dealers in my area were HORRIBLE!!! My Ford dealership was great and my new Ford dealer in SD is AWESOME!!!! This may not be important to you but is extremly important to me. Just something else to consider. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
    Best of luck on whatever you decide as your new TV.
    Dan

"Charley" the Chocolate Lab co-pilot
    2018 F450 King Ranch
    2020 Reflection 337RLS (Harvey)
    B&W 25K Companion Puck Hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get the DUALLY...

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdog1 View Post
    Ram 3500, Cummins with an Aisin transmission. Truck is a beast, just redesigned so should be able to get a ‘16-‘18 for a good deal.
    X2 for the Ram 3500 dually with Aisin. Ford or Chevy can't touch payload or power.
    2018 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Laramie Longhorn
    GVWR 12,300
    Open Range 2910RL TT (soon to trade in)
    In search of Grand Design Fifth Wheel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    Yes a one ton can handle that trailer but not a SRW. My Solitude has the 16800 GVWR and my pin weight is scaled verified at 3860 pounds, that's 23% which is more realistic than 20%. 4100 payload minus 3800 pin weight doesn't leave much room for anything else in the truck. My trailer scales at 16500 pounds and with 5260 payload I'm easily within all its limits. OP I see no need for an F450 unless you want the tighter turning radius but a F350 dually will easily handle that trailer. Powerscol is correct in that some states may want a non commercial license if over 26K pounds, Texas does. Since I'm at 25600 combined I'm looking into getting one to be safe.
    Txfivver, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if you're towing with what is in your signature post, you're GVWR combined is already over 26,000 pounds and if you're licensed in Texas, are required to have a Class A non-cdl license. Is your 25600, your actual weight? They go by GVWR, not actual weight.
    2018 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Laramie Longhorn
    GVWR 12,300
    Open Range 2910RL TT (soon to trade in)
    In search of Grand Design Fifth Wheel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    F350 dually. You will be in luxuary. Anything else is just imatating

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
    Txfivver, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if you're towing with what is in your signature post, you're GVWR combined is already over 26,000 pounds and if you're licensed in Texas, are required to have a Class A non-cdl license. Is your 25600, your actual weight? They go by GVWR, not actual weight.
    Yes 25600 is my scale weight and if that's the case my combined GVWR is 14000 for truck and 16800 for the trailer so 30800 combo jeez that's heavy lol!! I do intend to get the class A handled this winter.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast