Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

50 Amp to 80 amp conversion

I have read all the posts of converting from 50 amp to 80 amp fuses. All the threads seem to be of 2018 or newer models. I have a 2014 Solitude and the photos of the fuse area are different than mine.

If you can see from the photos I have a lone 50 amp Shortstop fuse that is located next to the battery. I this the one that has to be converted to the 80 amp?

Sorry the photos are sideways.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fusec.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	22631Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuseb.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	22632Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fused.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	22633Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fusea.jpg 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	22634
    Art & Terry
    2014 Solitude #366
    2014 Ford F-450 Platinum 4x4 Duallie
    Retired Police Officer '03/US Navy Vet 76-80
    El Paso, Texas

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trijart View Post
    I this the one that has to be converted to the 80 amp?
    I had my problem fixed by my dealer, authorized and instructed by GD under warranty. By the time the work was done, I'm pretty sure GD had decided that the correct fix was to separate the two pumps electrically and use a 50 amp fuse on each circuit. That's what they did on my 2018 Solitude. Since that rework was performed, we've had no issues whatsoever. (Thankfully. Before the fix, we were stuck at a campground with a slide-out that wouldn't retract when we were trying to break camp. I was not happy with that, for sure.)

-Steve
    Steve and Renee
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes, Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have read all the posts of converting from 50 amp to 80 amp fuses. All the threads seem to be of 2018 or newer models. I have a 2014 Solitude and the photos of the fuse area are different than mine.

If you can see from the photos I have a lone 50 amp Shortstop fuse that is located next to the battery. I this the one that has to be converted to the 80 amp?
    If that 50A CB is going to the reversing solenoid in the 1st photo, it should be the one.
    This thread shows setup that almost like yours: https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post173168
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Gene.
    If you look at my photo on that 50 amp, one wire goes directly to the positive battery pole. The other side has two wires, one going to the reversing solenoid and the other is on the bottom of the copper plate where the photo shows the black wire with blue and the yellow tab with the white pinkish wire).

Art.
    Art & Terry
    2014 Solitude #366
    El Paso, Texas

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Gene.
    If you look at my photo on that 50 amp, one wire goes directly to the positive battery pole. The other side has two wires, one going to the reversing solenoid and the other is on the bottom of the copper plate where the photo shows the black wire with blue and the yellow tab with the white pinkish wire).

Art.
    My guess as to how you're wired is on left edge of this drawing.
    Sounds like the 50A is from the battery and feeds the solenoid and the DC Bus that feeds the rest of the FW.
    Seems adding another CB on battery side of the 50A CB, then move solenoid wire to the new CB.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FW OEM w Hydraulic-2.dwg.pdf  
    Last edited by gbkims; 09-16-2019 at 08:38 PM.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry the photos are sideways.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fusec.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	22631Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuseb.jpg 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	22632Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fused.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	22633Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fusea.jpg 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	22634
    Hello Art,

Your first picture is the reversing relay for the hydraulic pump. The second & fourth pictures are most likely the breaker for the pump. One lead should go directly to the pump reversing replay. I only have/had one 50A breaker in my set and that was for the pump. Your "+" marking and description has me a bit confused. I believe the input is the copper colored stud and the silver stud is the load (see your three breakers on the bus bar). Your single single 50A breaker has the two wires on the copper colored stud and I could see GD using that as a slice/connection point. Are you sure the single wire is from the battery? Of course there have been all sorts of "creative" (and flat out wrong) wiring from the factory. I feel the only load on the 50A breaker should be the pump.

BTW on our 310GK (and every Solitude 310GK I have looked at), there is only one hydraulic pump. It runs both the landing gear & jacks as well as the hydraulic (main) slides.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2015 Solitude. I'm not sure which conversion you are speaking of but for me it was the 50 amp auto reset breaker blowing while retracting slides or leveling jacks. After a few seconds, I could continue retracting until it blew again. I put a amp meter on the motor and found it was drawing 35 amps putting the slide out or put the leveling jacks down. But, for retracting the motor pulled 48 amps. I talked to a tech at Lippert and he said that motor can pull up to 95amps at times. So I purchased a 60 amp auto reset breaker from DelCity.net a website that carries stuff like that. Haven't had a problem since. I did not want to go as high as 80 amp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    Hello Art,

Your first picture is the reversing relay for the hydraulic pump. The second & fourth pictures are most likely the breaker for the pump. One lead should go directly to the pump reversing replay. I only have/had one 50A breaker in my set and that was for the pump. Your "+" marking and description has me a bit confused. I believe the input is the copper colored stud and the silver stud is the load (see your three breakers on the bus bar). Your single single 50A breaker has the two wires on the copper colored stud and I could see GD using that as a slice/connection point. Are you sure the single wire is from the battery? Of course there have been all sorts of "creative" (and flat out wrong) wiring from the factory. I feel the only load on the 50A breaker should be the pump.

BTW on our 310GK (and every Solitude 310GK I have looked at), there is only one hydraulic pump. It runs both the landing gear & jacks as well as the hydraulic (main) slides.

Chris
    Chris, thanks for the info. Your observation on the "+" mark is correct. But, It's my mark that I made on the wall to show my son that when we install the battery, after charging, that the positive is in that direction.

Grand Design made a lot of changes from 2014-2018 so when I see certain photos my rig doesn't match up.

Thanks,
    Art.
    Art & Terry
    2014 Solitude #366
    El Paso, Texas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris,
    I went back and checked and you're right on the wire connections from the fuse. I will change from 50 to 80 today. I'll let you know what happens.

And Patrick, I've had the landing gear and slides stop and go for several months and I better do the conversion before I get stuck with the slides out.

Gene, Thanks for the schematic!!!!

Thanks to all,
    Art.
    Art & Terry
    2014 Solitude #366
    El Paso, Texas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris,
    I went back and checked and you're right on the wire connections from the fuse. I will change from 50 to 80 today. I'll let you know what happens.

And Patrick, I've had the landing gear and slides stop and go for several months and I better do the conversion before I get stuck with the slides out.

Gene, Thanks for the schematic!!!!

Thanks to all,
    Art.
    Hey guys,

I changed out the 50 amp to a new 80 amp and I just finished a 1700 mile trip. Absolutely no problems. Opening of slides and the use of the 6 point system all work now without any stoppages or hesitations.

Thank you all for your help!!!

Art.
    Art & Terry
    2014 Solitude #366
    El Paso, Texas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast