User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sowbug View Post
    Seriously looking at the 310GK-R, but will need to buy a new tow vehicle.
    Another vote from me for the F-450. We have the F-350 SRW 4X4 diesel short box with a 310GK. We're legal based on what other people have discovered after properly weighing their trucks, but they've reported that we're close to the edge. I'd like the 450 for its better brakes, better turning radius, DRW stability, and more.

The 450 also has a low axle ratio of 4.30 which makes pulling heavy loads easier. We have a 3.55 axle in ours, and there have been times in hilly country where I've felt the truck was working pretty hard (fuel consumption went off the charts, for one thing). It survived just fine, most of the toll was on me feeling it working hard. I'd prefer taking it easier on the truck.

Note that the truck that you've found at your local dealer has a 3.31 axle ratio, meaning that it will be working even harder than ours does. If you expect to be traveling much in hilly / mountainous terrain, it's a serious consideration for you.

Finally, while I've used 4X4 less than a dozen times in two years I've been REALLY glad to have it those times. In a couple of instances it got me unstuck, in a handful of others it gave me much higher confidence to tow into undeveloped fields for boondocking than I might otherwise have. (Also have the factory skid plates for this reason.) To me it's worth it.

Good luck with your choices.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More great information.

I have my eyes on two F-350s now, both diesel, same trim and same payload and GVWR. However, one of the trucks has a 4.11 axle and the other has a 3.55 axle. The one with the 3.55 axle has a few more options and I like it a little better but was wondering if I should avoid the 3.55 axle because I travel a lot in the mountains on TN and NC and plan to do some trips out west. Is a 3.55 axle a potential show stopper?

Thanks all.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't think so. Most of the trucks being sold these days seem to have the 3.55 axles in them. I haven't heard anyone complaining about lack of power.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good choice on looking for a DRW, you will appreciate the extra payload capacity and the added stability while towing. Good luck.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sowbug View Post
    More great information.

I have my eyes on two F-350s now, both diesel, same trim and same payload and GVWR. However, one of the trucks has a 4.11 axle and the other has a 3.55 axle. The one with the 3.55 axle has a few more options and I like it a little better but was wondering if I should avoid the 3.55 axle because I travel a lot in the mountains on TN and NC and plan to do some trips out west. Is a 3.55 axle a potential show stopper?

Thanks all.
    My truck has the 3:55 axle and I have no issues at all with power. My total weight is 25K plus and truck accelerates it up short on ramps (common in Texas ) with no problems at all. You will definitely get better mileage with the 3:55's when not towing. Another tidbit only the hardcore 4wheelers on here will know is that a lower numerically gearset is stronger due to more teeth on the pinion gear. Just a little bit of info you don't hear much about, google it.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well thanks again everybody.

Pulled the trigger on a 2019 F-350 DRW with 4.10 axial. Had to drive 3.5 hours, but got the color my wife wanted (stone grey). Now on to shopping for a new Solitude.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12