User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

310GK-R with F-350 XLT , Long Bed

Seriously looking at the 310GK-R, but will need to buy a new tow vehicle. We found the following today at a local Ford Dealer:

2019 F-350 XLT RWD
    Rear Wheel Drive
    3.31 Electronic Locking Axle
    Fifth Wheel Hitch Package included
    Camper Package included
    GVWR = 11,500
    Payload = 3931
    Front GAWR = 5250
    Rear GAWF =6780

Worst case, let assume I max out the trailer weight at 15,000 pounds.

Would appreciate any thoughts on this as a tow vehicle and any comments on the RWD (not 4WD).

Thanks
    Last edited by Sowbug; 09-15-2019 at 07:02 PM. Reason: did not complete orignal post

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should be OK with that truck, but you should always match the tow capacity and payload capacity found on the door sticker with the trailer to be sure trailer does not exceed the proposed truck, but my RWD. RWD is fine and will give a bit more tow and payload capacity over 4wd, but if you think you will have a real need for 4wd then you should consider it. I am towing the exact same trailer with a RAM 3500 DRW, RWD and no issues at all.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weight wise you should be able to make it. Loaded pin weight , if reasonably loaded , will fall close to 3000 lbs. You will just have to watch how much extra you carry in the truck. At 15k you will be pushing payload by the time you load up the truck . At 13.5k loaded our pin is 2900. That gear ratio is a little tall for me , but we do a lot of mountain traveling. My preference is 3.73. If it’s a diesel it will pull it ok , but will drop down at least 2 gears on a moderate grade.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sowbug View Post
    Seriously looking at the 310GK-R, but will need to buy a new tow vehicle. We found the following today at a local Ford Dealer:

2019 F-350 XLT RWD
    Rear Wheel Drive
    3.31 Electronic Locking Axle
    Fifth Wheel Hitch Package included
    Camper Package included
    GVWR = 11,500
    Payload = 3931
    Front GAWR = 5250
    Rear GAWF =6780

Worst case, let assume I max out the trailer weight at 15,000 pounds.

Would appreciate any thoughts on this as a tow vehicle and any comments on the RWD (not 4WD).

Thanks
    First, welcome. You have found a great group of helpful and knowledgeable people here. I personally have learned a lot.

From the payload & rear end ratio I assume that is a diesel engine and SRW (single rear wheel). I have a 310GK and F350 (4x4 Long Bed Crew Cab - see sig below) with the diesel. If you are worried about payload/pin weight, I think you would be fine. Depends on your comfort level and how you load the trailer. I am right at, but under the limit (payload, not rear axle weight rating) and you have almost 700# more payload than I do (3253#). I do not have a generator nor a washer/dryer (both add a lot of pin weight) and both my wife and I pack moderately light. Lots of discussions on these forums about pin weight/payload and tow vehicles vs. trailer. Lots of 310GK specific discussions.

If you are asking about RWD vs 4x4, I would say it depends. If you boondock (I do not), I think you would want the 4x4. If you tow & drive on paved and gravel road and stay in "parks" (that describes me), RWD should be just fine. In my towing (about 11,000 miles over past two years) I have never needed 4 wheel drive. Depends on how you use the truck. I live in Colorado and use the truck year round and need the 4x4 in the winter (w/o the trailer).

If you are taking about pulling power, an unrestricted NO PROBLEM. Fully loaded I can accelerate up I-70 in the Rockies. The diesel is a pulling beast. I have the 3.55 locking rear end and rarely pull over 65 MPH (limited passing only). The 3.31 will probably get a little better fuel mileage and may drop down a gear a little sooner (I often lock out 6th gear on hills), but should not be any problem.

For brakes, well that is a limiter, but typical issue for all trucks. The diesel has an engine brake and while not perfect it is wonderful. Once I figured out how to use it, most of the time coming down long (and steep) hills I set the engine brake and never (or rarely) touch the service brakes until the bottom. Keeps them cool so they are ready if I need them. The stock trailer brakes are marginal. They work, but for a 15,000# trailer could be a lot better. The brakes do get better over the first almost 1,000 miles (for me). They are now much better then when I got the trailer. Some people put electro-hydraulic disk brakes on their trailers. I still have the stock brake, but I have not a true OH-SH*T moment yet.

I hope this helps.
    Let us know if you have specific questions.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the 2019 Ford F350 SWR Diesel the only rear ends available are 3.31 and 3.55. Which one it comes with is dependent on what size wheels and tires it has. The 18" wheels will come with the 3.31 and the 20" wheels will come with the 3.55. The 20" wheels/tires are 2" larger in diameter so the lower ratio 3.55 rear end is effectively the same engine RPM at a given speed and gear as the 3.31 gears with the 18" wheels/tires.
    Last edited by HighFive; 09-16-2019 at 05:47 AM.
    2019 303RLS Reflection 5th Wheel
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 CC/SB/SRW 6.7L Diesel
    B&W Companion Slider Hitch

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re: 3.31 vs 3.55. 18” wheels comes standard w/3.31. To get a 3,55 w18” wheels requires HD front springs (either HD suspension option or snow plow option). I’ve had both 3.31 and 3.55.. There’s very little difference between them. At 65 MPH the 3.31 turns 1,500 RPM vs about 1,620 RPM for the 3.55. I do occasionally lock out 6th gear on hills with my 3.31 when towing.

The standard front springs rides a little but noticeably better than with HD front springs. I don’t know why Ford doesn’t offer option for 3.55 w/18”wheels and standard front suspension. Fuel efficiency seems about the same with either axle ratio.
    Last edited by Jerryr; 09-16-2019 at 06:38 AM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everybody. This has been very helpful. After reviewing the responses above and other threads I have came to the conclusion that I will be getting a dually so that I have options down the road. Does anyone have any specific suggestions when purchasing a Dually. I’m currently looking at the F – 350s.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sowbug View Post
    Thanks everybody. This has been very helpful. After reviewing the responses above and other threads I have came to the conclusion that I will be getting a dually so that I have options down the road. Does anyone have any specific suggestions when purchasing a Dually. I’m currently looking at the F – 350s.
    If you are looking at a long bed crew cab, take a look at the F-450 if for no other reason than the tighter turning radius with their wider track front end. The F-450 is not for everyone, but do take a look and decide for yourself.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will echo the recommendation to look at the F450. I have the F350 SRW short bed and the only thing I don't like about the truck is the turning radius and the long bed will be worse. The shorter turning radius of the F450 will help in day to day driving and parking lots etc but also when backing a trailer.
    2019 303RLS Reflection 5th Wheel
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 CC/SB/SRW 6.7L Diesel
    B&W Companion Slider Hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The F350 actually has more pin weight than the F450. The reason for that though is a reason for getting the F450. The F450 has a stronger frame, stronger front end parts and bigger brakes. All the things that make for safer towing. Those stronger components though are heavier which comes off of the pin weight. If we ever get the dually it will definitely be a F450. With our 303 I just haven't seen the need for it. For what you get with the F450 I don't think it is that terribly much more in price.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast