User Tag List

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gutter trim molding cover

On each of my gutters there is a rubber piece of trim that runs the length of the gutter. This covers the screws that attach the gutter in place. It is a half-moon shape about 1/2”-3/4” in width, and fits in a track that runs the length of the gutter. I’ll get a picture later today and post it.

It’s starting to pull out of the track, so I need to replace it. Anybody know what this stuff is called and where I can get it?

EDIT: Found it. Looks like I need 1” size. I just ordered 100’ of this from Amazon:
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2B10028E-F98C-4FD8-8279-74BC71F4CE11.jpeg 
Views:	22 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	22653

I’ll let you know how it works out.
    Last edited by jim1521; 09-16-2019 at 05:08 AM.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim1521 View Post
    On each of my gutters there is a rubber piece of trim that runs the length of the gutter. This covers the screws that attach the gutter in place. It is a half-moon shape about 1/2”-3/4” in width, and fits in a track that runs the length of the gutter. I’ll get a picture later today and post it.

It’s starting to pull out of the track, so I need to replace it. Anybody know what this stuff is called and where I can get it?

EDIT: Found it. Looks like I need 1” size. I just ordered 100’ of this from Amazon:
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Name:	2B10028E-F98C-4FD8-8279-74BC71F4CE11.jpeg 
Views:	22 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	22653

I’ll let you know how it works out.
    How did the rubber trim replacement project go for you? I was up on the roof of our Imagine today and noticed the rubber that covers the gutter screws coming loose or coming apart in a couple spots. The rubber piece on our Imagine is black - probably to match the black gutters.

Let me know if there is anything special to be aware of for this DIY project.
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jw^2 family View Post
    How did the rubber trim replacement project go for you? I was up on the roof of our Imagine today and noticed the rubber that covers the gutter screws coming loose or coming apart in a couple spots. The rubber piece on our Imagine is black - probably to match the black gutters.

Just in case the OP isn't around, some tips are to do it on a warm day. Do not do the end tucks for a couple of days letting the vinyl expand and contract a few times so let it run long, then trim and tuck. A spray bottle of soapy solution helps slide long lengths in place. Also, when you remove the old, cleaning out the tracks where it slides in will save you frustration.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It worked out very well. Easy project. I simply slid the old out of the channel and ran the new in. I was done in about an hour if I remember correctly.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Just in case the OP isn't around, some tips are to do it on a warm day. Do not do the end tucks for a couple of days letting the vinyl expand and contract a few times so let it run long, then trim and tuck. A spray bottle of soapy solution helps slide long lengths in place. Also, when you remove the old, cleaning out the tracks where it slides in will save you frustration.
    Rob & Nikki,

I've currently got the old vinyl piece out, and the new one in, with the ends of the vinyl hanging loose past the ends of the gutter. How are the "end tucks" accomplished? The vinyl piece was tucked behind the gutter, but if the vinyl is covering up the screw heads, then this seems like it will be a little tricky to get the screws back in. Do you tuck the ends behind the gutter, and then pinch down the vinyl trim enough to access the screw holes? I assume some non-sag sealant is needed along the top and maybe the ends of the gutter after tucking the vinyl trim behind the gutter? Here are some pictures of removing the old vinyl piece:

Name:	IMG_20201003_155725434_HDR - Edited.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	29944

Name:	IMG_20201003_155733240_HDR - Edited.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	29945
    Last edited by jw^2 family; 10-03-2020 at 04:01 PM. Reason: progress revealed that screws hold end tucks
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob & Nikki,

I've currently got the old vinyl piece out, and the new one in, with the ends of the vinyl hanging loose past the ends of the gutter. How are the "end tucks" accomplished? The vinyl piece was tucked behind the gutter, but if the vinyl is covering up the screw heads, then this seems like it will be a little tricky to get the screws back in. Do you tuck the ends behind the gutter, and then pinch down the vinyl trim enough to access the screw holes? I assume some non-sag sealant is needed along the top and maybe the ends of the gutter after tucking the vinyl trim behind the gutter? Here are some pictures of removing the old vinyl piece:

Name:	IMG_20201003_155725434_HDR - Edited.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	29944

Name:	IMG_20201003_155733240_HDR - Edited.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	29945
    When used at gutter, the forward, into-the-wind, end is usually pinched behind the gutter tightly with the screw so it doesn't get caught by the wind and peeled out and to control where the strip shrinks and expands. So, the vinyl is started at the front of the rig with about an inch behind the gutter and the loosened screw tightened. Then the vinyl insert is folded around and pressed in place. When you reach the back, you leave the vinyl run wild for a few days until it's expanded and contracted a couple times. Then you trim it to about an 1.25-inch longer than the gutter channel and wiggle it behind the best you can. Yes, you are correct about using some sealant.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania