User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slam Latch Problem

Hi to all. I'm new to the form and new GD 2020 Imagine 2600RB owner. My pass thru compartment doors have slam locks, when locked I can pull the locked handle with normal pressure and the door will open. It appears the lock only locks the pull handle not the bolt. I'm afraid that if items in the compartment shift while traveling it would pop open the door. Also the compartment is basically unlocked to thief's. Is this how they are suppose to work? If anyone knows a fix it would be appreciated. It's a long drive from storage to the dealer for a repair.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is not how they should work. I dont have a fix, but if it was me i would take the lock off and inspect for proper operation. Maybe it needs to slide down a hair to engage in the latch plate.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DonaldC View Post
    Hi to all. I'm new to the form and new GD 2020 Imagine 2600RB owner. My pass thru compartment doors have slam locks, when locked I can pull the locked handle with normal pressure and the door will open. It appears the lock only locks the pull handle not the bolt. I'm afraid that if items in the compartment shift while traveling it would pop open the door. Also the compartment is basically unlocked to thief's. Is this how they are suppose to work? If anyone knows a fix it would be appreciated. It's a long drive from storage to the dealer for a repair.
    When I got my 2150rb, all the lock mechanisms were loose, you may have to tighten up the screws
    Mark
    Mark & Cindy, York, PA
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 230RL (White)
    Curt A16 Hitch, Turning Point Swivel Pin Box, set to Swivel, with Curt Wedge
    2019 Ford F250 STX 6.2L with 4.30 Gears, SB CC SRW 4x4, 18" Wheels, 3192 Payload, 15,000 Towing Capacity, Fifth Wheel Prep & Camper Package, Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera, Factory Ordered
    Prev TV: 2016 F150 3.5L Supercab with 6.5' bed, 2167 payload, LT Tires, and Air Lift 5000 air bags set to 15lbs

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe also lube the bolts with graphite spray (messy but very effective) and fiddle them in and out to ensure they're operating at full range.

(Lube all your locks with it too... after over a year our keys still slip in and out and turn as slick as... well... make up your own simile! I'll redo them as winter approaches, but not because they need it.)

Our trailer had a front compartment lock that wouldn't catch on anything and therefore didn't lock. It's a different latch but maybe a similar problem. The lower lip of the front compartment was shifted / adjusted somehow by the dealer; I probably don't want to know how but would guess that force was involved. There's an ugly smear of carelessly-applied silicone around it now.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Seasoned Camper keywestparrothead's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a backplate that has 4 screws (at least on mine) that when you remove the plate you can see a set screw on the locking lever pillar. That comes loose and effects the "locking" portion of the lock and just needs tightened up force the lock to engage fully. Wouldn't hurt to lube up the mechanism while in there too :-)
    2016 Momentum 376TH "The Beauty"
    2015 Ford F450 King Ranch Crew Cab "The Beast"
    2016 Indian Roadmaster "Our Toy"
    2013 BMW R1200GS Adventure "My Toy"
    ------------------------
    Previous addictions...
    2008 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    2008 Ford F350 6.4 KR CC
    2010 Montana 3750FL
    2008 CC Silverback 32LFGBS TT
    2004 Coleman/Fleetwood PU

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for the delay, we have been out on our maiden voyage with the new trailer. Thanks to all that responded. I did get some help from GD customer support and after looking at the compartment I think he is correct. He said when they install the compartment doors they put several screws in to hold it place then finish the rest of the screws. The bottom section of the jamb was not shimmed to keep it square so when they screwed the bottom jamb in it is in a slight "U" shape. Now the bolt is only in the catch about 1/4" and can be pulled open easily with the handle locked. Also he said the lock only disables the pull handle and does not stop the bolt from moving.

The fix is to unscrew the bottom jamb, remove the sealant, shim, re-screw and reseal the edge.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DonaldC View Post
    Sorry for the delay, we have been out on our maiden voyage with the new trailer. Thanks to all that responded. I did get some help from GD customer support and after looking at the compartment I think he is correct. He said when they install the compartment doors they put several screws in to hold it place then finish the rest of the screws. The bottom section of the jamb was not shimmed to keep it square so when they screwed the bottom jamb in it is in a slight "U" shape. Now the bolt is only in the catch about 1/4" and can be pulled open easily with the handle locked. Also he said the lock only disables the pull handle and does not stop the bolt from moving.

The fix is to unscrew the bottom jamb, remove the sealant, shim, re-screw and reseal the edge.
    I'm having the same issue on my driver-side pass thru hatch. Thanks for the fix. Next project!
    Scott & Fonda
    2015 F-250 SuperCrew SRW, 6.7L TD
    2020 Imagine 2670MK.........Equal-i-zer 1400#
    Kayaks: Perception Expression 11.5 and Carolina 12
    Bikes: Specialized S-works Amira, Felt Z95, DelSol Lxi 6.1, Electra Townie
    Virginia Beach