Likes Likes:  0

Thread: First Timers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Timers

Hi!
    We just bought our first coach a Solitude 2930RL. We upgraded to the KING bed and added the washer/dryer. It is on order and we can't wait to take our first trip. We're also getting a new RAM 3500 for towing. My husband has driven big rigs and also has towed, so he has experience that way. But we're new at the "RV/Camping" thing and are open to helpful tips and info.

We are looking for the best apps to use for our trips, especially a GPS app just for RV's. We don't want to become stuck on smaller roads and our height is 13' 5" , so we don't want to run into issues.

Some of other our questions are:

Covering for outdoor storage - yes or no?
    Tire Coverage - what's best?
    Suggestions for pest control during storage
    Slide covers - yes or no?

Thanks everyone !!
    Happy Camping !!
    BobKimL

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've had our 2930 for about three months and have made three trips for about 20 days total. We absolutely love the RV. We did not need the washer / dryer or king bed. I plan on putting a breathable cover on ours as it catches hot sun from the west on the side of the RV. We didn't opt for slide covers. Your RV should have Westlake G rated tires which seem to be fine as long as you aren't overloaded. We have the Bellacorp TPMS and it works fine.

Enjoy the new RV!
    2019 F250 Lariat
    2020 Solitude S 2930RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BobKimL welcome to the life. I am on my 8th season of full timing in an RV. To your questions:

Best GPS/Nav apps. I get a kick out of this one. There are as many opinions as there are apps. At 13.5 you will not have any issue on any U.S. designated highway that I know of. I purchased some low clearance software and found that on US highways the places they had marked had been renovated to at least 13.6, and mostly to 14' City and county roads are where the concern is. I have been through 4-5 different versions of GPS's and applications. I can't recommend one over the other. While the dedicated trucker/RV devices are somewhat helpful they will also route you hundreds of mile out of your way for a minimum height that is on the edge of a tunnel or bridge but does not reflect the center lane clearance.

Every GPS device/software that I have used has routed me erroneously. I personally don't think there is a perfect solution out there. You must still use old fashioned pilotage skills to make the sure the GPS route is good for you.

The other question;
    Covering for outdoor storage - We don't ever store so don't know.
    Tire Coverage - what's best? Any or none. Tire coverage is for UV breakdown. If you don't use your rig much and it sits in the sun tire coverage is helpful. Essentially, any material that will block UV. In our case, we put enough miles on our rig that the tread wears down before UV can cause the tire to crack.
    Suggestions for pest control during storage - No food for the critters. No water for the critters. No warmth for the critters. Poisoned bait. Critters need to have something to look forward to when they come home, if there is nothing for them they will not stick around.
    Slide covers - yes or no? I am in the pro slide cover category. Pros, extra sun coverage when it's hot. Extra rain drainage when it's raining. Pretty much self cleaning when slides are retracted. Cons; Extra money to purchase. Will make flapping noise when the wind is raging. Extra long term maintenance cost.

I hope that gives you some positive feedback and points to consider. A lot of what we do with our RV's is strictly personal preference. For every opinion I have state here there will be at least 6 counter opinions. And they are all valid. I have simply shared my preferences based on my personal experience.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apps...I have not used it yet but there is a app called "Trucker Path" which will plan routes for you. I also have a app on my phone called "Scout" which works good for me.
    Covering for Storage.....I would like to cover during storage but truthfully I don't want to fall off the dang roof while trying to take it of and on!.....not a good thing if your afraid of heights! Finding a place to store the cover when not in use is another consideration.
    Pest Control......I use D-Con disposable corner fit mouse poison bait stations. I also use Mint oil pouches that you can put around the inside of the RV and in your storage compartments. these need to be replaced periodically because they lose the mint smell.
    Slide Covers...I really wanted these for all the reasons that has already been stated but we fell in love with the unit on the lot and didn't want to wait to special order or having them added. Iv'e thought about adding some point down the line.

NOW YOU CAN HELP ME! We want to add the washer and dryer once we retire and I am very curious if you could let me know where they cut the hole for the dryer vent?

Thanks and Happy Camping!
    Fred and Paula
    2019 Solitude S Class 2930RL
    2015 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
    Nebraska (Currently)