User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cautionary Tale and a "duh" moment for me

Hello,

Thought I'd share just in case anyone has the same issue..

So, getting on the road Friday taking our new 320G on it's third trip, I noticed my Camco plug-in surge protector was throwing a code (floating neutral) as I was pulling the plug to get on the road (We had a 50 amp outlet installed in the garage). I shrugged it off and noticed my fridge was kicking over to gas. Worse yet, I had no 12v in the trailer, however the jacks were working just fine. PLug it back in..12v all come back in...Unplug...everything 12v dies...Fire up the genny..everthing comes back on....I was losing my mind trying to 1)figure out this simple problem and 2) beat rush hour to our destination.

I spent a good hour running around trying to figure out what the heck was going on. My wife suggested we call the dealer service folks of which I scoffed "On a warm September Friday at 3:00 PM?!?!?..I rather spend my time chasing this down than sitting on hold"

I tried everything i knew, tested the converter (I've burned through a few of those in my time), the battery, check the cable connections going into the trailer. We just had it in for it's first run through of warranty stuff including a bad battery box.
    I was stumped so finally, I just got on the road and ran the generator since we were camping just an hour and half away. I figured I had all night at the campground to trace the problem and I'd rather do it there than in my driveway while everyone is wating on me to leave.

While driving, service DID call me back. The tech said "sounds like you bumped the kill switch key.." I am like "No way, that's too easy..can't be, right?"

I immediately pulled over and jiggled it. YEP! that was it.

In my defense, why GD put that key in the the storage area is beyond me since the front generator storage has ample space. One of my Rubbermaid totes lids bumped it while i was loading the trailer.

Anyways, Happy Campers again. and another entry into the marital log book of "I told you so's" from the Mrs.

Sigh.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One lesson I've learned....your wife is always right...even when shes not.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MooManChu View Post
    Hello,
    While driving, service DID call me back. The tech said "sounds like you bumped the kill switch key.." I am like "No way, that's too easy..can't be, right?"
    Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. It's really freaky because everything works when external power is applied, but then it doesn't. ??? In my case it's the lawn chairs stacked on top of the portable gas grill box. I have threatened to move/remove/replace that stupid switch a number of times. But then I don't bump it for a few months and forget, and then I do bump it and recall the hate. If I ever get bored enough that sucker is getting a makeover.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    It's really freaky because everything works when external power is applied, but then it doesn't. ???
    On my 315RLTS the disconnect switch is between the battery and the power panel, so when it's off 12v power can't pass to the trailer. (There's a few minor exceptions not germane to this discussion...)

The converter is powered by 120vAC and it's 12v output is tied directly into the power panel. Thus the trailer has 12vDC (from the converter, not the battery), but because the battery disconnect switch is off the battery doesn't get charged.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    On my 315RLTS the disconnect switch is between the battery and the power panel, so when it's off 12v power can't pass to the trailer. (There's a few minor exceptions not germane to this discussion...)

The converter is powered by 120vAC and it's 12v output is tied directly into the power panel. Thus the trailer has 12vDC (from the converter, not the battery), but because the battery disconnect switch is off the battery doesn't get charged.
    Exactly,

That's the setup on (probably) every trailer I've owned. So really was lost because usually its the converter gone bad. Once I ruled out the converter, I was stumped because my previous battery disconnects were right off the battery and not this confounded cheap plastic key setup. I would surmise a quick turn would send a couply of my rubbermaid containers sliding in the storage area and shear off the handle on the key. really, really bad design considering the vast space in the front generator compartment. I think I could get a kegerator up there with all that space......hmmm....