User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winnebago is purchasing Newmar Corporation

Grand Design's parent company is purchasing Newmar; see announcement at the link below.

I expect this means that existing Winnebago / Grand Design customers will be offered large discounts and healthy trade-ins on buying Newmar King Aire coaches.

Let's hope that Newmar's quality is diligently maintained.

https://winnebago.gcs-web.com/news-r...acturer-newmar
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post

Wouldn't count on it.
    2019 Reflection 312BHTS TT Sold

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
    Wouldn't count on it.
    Yepper. What he said.
    Jim T.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a Newmar Dutch Star for 8 years, I would have bought another if it had fit our needs, the quality was good. Honestly the RV industry at this point is an incestuous mess with all these buyouts and so few main players.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=boyscout;257458]Grand Design's parent company is purchasing Newmar; see announcement at the link below.

I expect this means that existing Winnebago / Grand Design customers will be offered large discounts and healthy trade-ins on buying Newmar King Aire coaches.

Well, that gave me a chuckle. I'm not going to hold my breath looking for a discount. And if the big "W" keeps their hands out of a good thing Newmar should do just fine. I read that Newmar approached W about a merger. It kind of makes you wonder who else might have been pursuing Newmar to buy them out

Winnebago kind of messed up Sunnbrook when they purchased them. So far it seems that they are letting GD do their own thing - thank goodness. Who knows, maybe GD/W/Newmar will figure out that the Solitude line can go big time if they'd just make some nice upgrades available (brakes, suspension, rear cap, auto wind reels, day/night shades - you know - the things we all have to install on our own.

Anyhow, I have a theory that before too long there will only be a handful of American RV manufactures as the industry consolidates into only major companies similar to what the American auto manufactures experienced in the past leaving us with only 2 or 3 major American players. We'll still have choices between models within the few major companies but I suspect that will slim down some too once the consolidations are done. But that's just me......
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=traveldawg;257583]
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post

Anyhow, I have a theory that before too long there will only be a handful of American RV manufactures as the industry consolidates into only major companies similar to what the American auto manufactures experienced in the past leaving us with only 2 or 3 major American players. We'll still have choices between models within the few major companies but I suspect that will slim down some too once the consolidations are done. But that's just me......
    That is something I have been expecting for years now. Look not only at cars but other large ticket items like snowmobiles, ATV’s, and motorcycles. They all did the same thing, from dozens of companies to just a few. I know Snowmobiles had 72 companies by the late 70’s now there are only 4.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
    Wouldn't count on it.
    Not necessarily true. Since Winnebago purchased GD, I have not seen a drop in GD's quality or customer service. In any case it is just a sign f the times.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We took the GD plant tour and the CFO told our group that the Winnebago buyout was more of a financial portfolio purchase. GD would still operate under their current leadership and business practices and company mission. Winnebago would not be changing the GD way of operating.

Steve

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They all say that and when times are fat it's easy. As shipments fall and quarterly earnings slip things will change.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm always somewhat amused by threads (the Newmar owners forum on IRV2 glowed red for days after the announcement) that express concern about 'quality' changes when one company buys another. Folks, IMO any 'quality' that results in anything built in Indiana is by chance and not by design. Grand Design, Newmar and others brag about their mostly Amish workforce and suggest they bring some special skill and 'craftsmanship' to the table. I would agree that there is a lot of building skill among the Amish but they are not allowed to use that properly by the RV industry. Maybe in the support operations like cabinet building but once a chassis hits the floor, the emphasis is on speed and not quality.

I recently read a good article about the large number of Amish employed by the RV industry in Indiana. It has become increasingly difficult for many of them to prosper farming so they have flocked to the RV factories. They make better money there. However, when interviewed by the writer, the Amish workers talk mostly about the stress caused by the speed they are required to work. One from Newmar spoke of starting at 5:00 AM with the knowledge that they could leave when they met their 'quota' of 8 coaches. So, if they get done early, they get to leave early. That scheme is not designed to ensure build quality. It's a shame that the industry operates this way and it is the reason we get RV's that are often built like crap. Until the industry has some incentive to change, this will continue.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast