Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fresh water blowout near catastrophe

We have a 2018 2500rl that we bought new 3-18 and has had several water leaks. Our first outing we had water dripping out from under the coroplast and only because it was new our dealer got us right in and said they found fittings that the factory used the wrong size fittings. Next trip more water dripping while parked for the winter in AZ so I dropped the coroplast (later found it wasn’t necessary) but the fittings behind the bathroom sink was loose, so ok no problem just tighten up problem solved. Wasn’t able to use the TT all summer due to health issues so now we’re parked for the month in Lake City CO, 3 nights ago the better half woke me up to water pouring out under the kitchen sink. We were on city water at the time and yes I use a flow regulator, after turning the water off found the 2 drawers under the sink were soaked, water had run out under the cabinet all along the floor slide side also run down the heater vent hole for the tank heating, luckily the trailer has settled slightly toward the slide so all the water made its way out under the slide. I know long story🤔. What happened this time is the cold water connection to the kitchen sink blew apart. The supply end fitting is ribbed and too small for the supply line, I don’t think it’s pex tubing it’s some other tubing that’s white and reinforced, I found a great gentleman in town that worked on RV’s and he advised it was used in many units and there’s not a fitting that fits snugly but he gave me a brass fitting and loaned me his pex crimp tool I heated the tubing with a hair dryer crimped and it’s held. We dodged a bullet by not being gone when this blew it could have ruined our trailer. From this point on we’ll use only the fresh water tank and turn the pump off when we leave or go to bed, a very minor inconvenience for piece of mind. Sorry for the long post but my point is keep a watch on your fresh water connections, if any have silicone residue around it replace it, buy a pex crimping tool with the clamps as regular hose clamps will not work and if you’re on city water turn it off or turn off the pump when leaving even for a short time. I’ve read this advice many times and just didn’t sink in.
    Great forum I hope this helps someone from this happening to them
    Safe Travels

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We switched to using only the fresh water tank and pump for exactly this reason. If the city water connection leaks, it will never stop until you notice it. We tried remembering to turn off the water when going out, but either forgot or didn’t bother if we would be away for only a short while.

It’s easier to just turn off the pump on your way out the door. And if a leak happens while you’re there, you will hear the pump running for no apparent reason.

I’ve often thought a cool mod would be to install some sort of solenoid activated inlet valve for the city water so you could turn off the water pressure with a switch by the door.

Bob
    2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
    2018 Reflection 295RL

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bogen2 View Post
    I’ve often thought a cool mod would be to install some sort of solenoid activated inlet valve for the city water so you could turn off the water pressure with a switch by the door. Bob
    You're not alone! There's a PDF at the beginning of the thread below by @Cate&Rob, and on page ten of that document he describes what he did... exactly what you've been thinking about.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...968#post171968

Here's a valve:

https://www.amazon.com/Motorized-Val...oi%2Caps%2C166
    Last edited by boyscout; 09-17-2019 at 12:01 PM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch