User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree too Dan. For awhile GD was good about the trailers being right at the max for the tires if fully loaded. Too many people running overloaded and not even knowing it. It wasn't all GD's fault though Lionshead told them they would be fine. They might have been if people didn't overload but they do and that will not change. I think some of the trailer with E-rated tires are still running too close to the specs. Myself I wouldn't run the E-rated tires, when we bought our 303 we had a 2" lift put on the trailer and went with 16" G-rated tires. As far as the Grated Westlakes I would have no problem using them. Haven't read of a failure yet from the G-rated tires by Westlake.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had Carlisle Radial Trail HD 16s on our 2008 Copper Canyon 5th wheel (after seven years with the "China Bomb" Missions that came with the trailer - no problems!) and had a very good experience with them. I would not hesitate to have Carlisles again and I am planning on switching to them when the time comes to change the Westlakes we have now.
    Happy campers! / Lorna & Eric and our little furball, Finnan, Canandaigua, NY
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 6.6L Duramax Turbo Diesel, Allison 6 speed transmission, 5th wheel setup, Pullrite SuperGlide 20k
    2018 Reflection 303RLS Built 3/2018, Dual AC's

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Canyonlight,

Dan, Great summary of thousands of posts and hours of reading .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My “side story” of Carlisle vs Westlake in post 14 of this thread . . .
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...659#post119659

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For my trailer, it appears the e-rated/117 load appear to be well within reason. Seems total capacity for the tires would be around 11k. I went ahead and ordered the Carlisles via my Ford Quick Lane. Been using them for years. Nearly just ordered one to replace the plugged tire.
    I don't buy the China bomb mentality. I buy into the perspective that there are better tires than others, but if properly maintained, pretty much any tire that meets spec will do an adequate job.
    These days my trailer goes out once a month 9 months out of the year with longest trips only in 450 mile range. At least for the foreseeable future. If I was taking extended runs and on the road a lot more, I might buy into the safety purportedly offered by endurance and other high-dollar tires.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    2022 Imagine 3250
    2021 f250 fx4 7.3
    2016 Harley Ultra Limited
    1971 F100 Flareside (project)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OOOPPSS you have them already........I say Radial Trail HD. Ran over 10K with good service and wear on my previous TT. If possible go up one load rating ie: Load range D to E. I really think the bad rap on OEM tires came from manufacturers putting on underrated or just barely good enough tires and wheels. The previous iteration of Goodyear ST tires, Marathon, was nothing to write home about either.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 09-25-2019 at 03:45 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some Carlisle tires are now manufactured in the US. I had a set put on our friends TT for them, however they were the Chinese Carlisle. I almost put a set on our 5ver, but couldn't wait for the dealer to get them in, so I went with Hercules. Time will tell on the Carlisle Trail HD on our friends TT, so far they have performed successfully. Again, Some Carlisle sizes are built in the US. Happy Trails!
    Last edited by MPitts; 09-25-2019 at 03:48 PM.
    2018 Reflection 307MKS
    2017 F-250 King Ranch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by f100owner View Post
    My trailer goes out once a month 9 months a year usually for no more than 300-400 mile trips. It is an Imagine 2800BH.
    I am not looking to get into the discussion about Goodyear Endurance tires and all of their glory.
    But, I had a factory tire that was plugged. The other three have been wearing properly and keeping their pressure. I really don't want to run on a plugged tire on travel trailer.
    So, my Quicklane (which is my preferred tire dealer) has access to the Carlisle line and my sales guy mentioned two different lines - the Ultra CRT and the Radial Trail HD. Both are E/117 rated and one specifies 80 PSI (Trail) and I am awaiting verification that the other does as well. The ultra is cheaper by about $20 per tire.
    Of those with experience with Carlisle tires (I have used them several years ago on previous RVs and other trailers), do you have any thoughts.
    I don't buy the China bomb mentality associated with the factory tires. But once a tire has been damaged, I am not eager to rely on it. I probably could just get another Westlake, but won't.
    Tire should have been patched not plugged.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have run the trail hd’s on both my Montana and now on my 379Fl. No issues. They were both G rated though.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My experience with Westlake tires is not good. Two failed in less than 10,000 miles. A trusted tire dealer recommended the Carlisle tire. So far so good. They pull good and quiet. The tires are heavier and stiffer than the Westlakes. I will follow up here if I have issues.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast