User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went with the Carlisles today. My quick lane is not that convenient for bug trailers so I am pulling the wheels and having the tires changed. Three done today. Fourth in the bed of the pickup to be dropped off tomorrow.
    One lug is really difficult to remove or install the lug nut on. Threads are needing cleaning up. Is a standard die the normal approach to repair? Or is there some special tool that makes it easier? Anyone know the thread size? I kept a lug nut to size.
    I am not sure what the tire repair approach is these days. We carry plug kits on our motorcycles, for emergency repairs, but would be changing out the tire as soon as practical. The plug was close to middle of the tread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    2022 Imagine 3250
    2021 f250 fx4 7.3
    2016 Harley Ultra Limited
    1971 F100 Flareside (project)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I posted this on 8/28/19: "After a blowout on our 2016 Solitude 379FL that caused an $1800 insurance claim, I had a heart to heart with my tire store. Having had very good luck with Carlyle tires (our former 38 foot travel trailer had carlyle's that lasted almost 20 years (I know, not smart), I wanted Carlyles again. Read on...

My guy found 16 inch, 16-PLY, load range "G" tires that ARE NOT listed on Carlyle's RV or auto pages. They were found in the AG (agricultural) section. They were less than $200 each and rated a max of 110 PSI. Side note: I found that they gain almost 30 PSI when traveling. I start out at about 80 PSI and they settle down at about 107 PSI. I have not regretted our decision to buy these tires."

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by f100owner View Post
    One lug is really difficult to remove or install the lug nut on. Threads are needing cleaning up. Is a standard die the normal approach to repair? Or is there some special tool that makes it easier? Anyone know the thread size? I kept a lug nut to size.
    My lugs are 1/2-20. I've used a thread restorer / thread chaser to clean up stud threads. It's a Lang set I think.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    My lugs are 1/2-20. I've used a thread restorer / thread chaser to clean up stud threads. It's a Lang set I think.
    Might be a challenge finding a thread chaser in my little town - doubt that lowes and HD will have them. But will look. Otherwise, order a set.

Quote Originally Posted by fez111 View Post
    I posted this on 8/28/19: "After a blowout on our 2016 Solitude 379FL that caused an $1800 insurance claim, I had a heart to heart with my tire store. Having had very good luck with Carlyle tires (our former 38 foot travel trailer had carlyle's that lasted almost 20 years (I know, not smart), I wanted Carlyles again. Read on...

My guy found 16 inch, 16-PLY, load range "G" tires that ARE NOT listed on Carlyle's RV or auto pages. They were found in the AG (agricultural) section. They were less than $200 each and rated a max of 110 PSI. Side note: I found that they gain almost 30 PSI when traveling. I start out at about 80 PSI and they settle down at about 107 PSI. I have not regretted our decision to buy these tires."
    Jeez, 16 ply tractor tires. I think the 10 ply e-rated tires in my case are well within reasonable bounds, but curious as to whether or not the tractor tires are rated for 60 miles per hour.
    2022 Imagine 3250
    2021 f250 fx4 7.3
    2016 Harley Ultra Limited
    1971 F100 Flareside (project)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Auto parts store may have that thread chaser.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually they are trailer tires rated for highway speeds. And they are LOAD RANGE "G", not E. I thought I put that in the original post. My Bad. They are rated for 110 PSI as are my rims. They were cheaper than the tires on my Taurus.

I mention again, having had three RV blowouts that caused insurance claims, I bought the EEZ-Tire monitor system. I got a real education. After a couple of trips I realized that I have to start out at about 82 Lbs on the Trailer tires and eventually they finally equalize temperature and pressure at about 107 Lbs and 15-20 degrees above ambient temperature. If one side is in the sun for a while, even just sitting, that side will be almost 20 Lbs higher than the shady side.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually they are trailer tires rated for highway speeds. And they are LOAD RANGE "G", not E. I thought I put that in the original post. My Bad. They are rated for 110 PSI as are my rims. They were cheaper than the tires on my Taurus.

I mention again, having had three RV blowouts that caused insurance claims, I bought the EEZ-Tire monitor system. I got a real education. After a couple of trips I realized that I have to start out at about 82 Lbs on the Trailer tires and eventually they finally equalize temperature and pressure at about 107 Lbs and 15-20 degrees above ambient temperature. If one side is in the sun for a while, even just sitting, that side will be almost 20 Lbs higher than the shady side.
    The 110 PSI is cold tire pressure so you don't have to take into account the increase in pressure from driving. The manufacturers take all of that into account. You could be overloading your tires if you need 110 PSI to carry the load and you are only inflating to 82 PSI. Could cause you another blowout. Always inflate the tires to the recommended cold PSI not so that you hit the recommended PSI when hot.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    The 110 PSI is cold tire pressure so you don't have to take into account the increase in pressure from driving. The manufacturers take all of that into account. You could be overloading your tires if you need 110 PSI to carry the load and you are only inflating to 82 PSI. Could cause you another blowout. Always inflate the tires to the recommended cold PSI not so that you hit the recommended PSI when hot.

Rob
    Thanks for the advice Rob, but here's my problem... I have read on here and other forums that some say that the cold pressure is the absolute max while other lean towards you view. Over the last 4 decades I have tried it both ways several times. 90 minutes before the latest blowout (and most expensive repair to date) almost two years ago I spent an hour setting all 10 tires to their Max-cold Load Range "E" pressure of exactly 80 lbs. 80 miles later...BOOM!!! The other three trailer tires were at almost 100 Lbs. I let air out for the drive home.

When I bought these new Carlyle 16-ply tires I discussed the best starting pressure with my tire guy. We decided that 95 PSI would be a good starting point. That first trip, driving at night, The trailer tires hit 110 PSI at about the same 90 minute mark. I stopped at a rest area and let air out. The next morning the right side was sitting in the sun. The right side tires were almost 20 PSI higher than the left, just from the sunshine. After driving 40 miles everything equaled out.

I HATE having to deal with tires! The way I do it now relieves much stress while pulling, and the monitor system lets me know
    something is wrong before I need to call the insurance company again! To each his or her own. Everyone should do what works best for them. I was just adding my experiences to the conversation. At least my last blowout was on the curb side....

Since I bought the EEZ-Tire monitor (with repeater) I have never seen trailer tire temperatures much higher than 90 degrees.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice Rob, but here's my problem... I have read on here and other forums that some say that the cold pressure is the absolute max while other lean towards you view. Over the last 4 decades I have tried it both ways several times. 90 minutes before the latest blowout (and most expensive repair to date) almost two years ago I spent an hour setting all 10 tires to their Max-cold Load Range "E" pressure of exactly 80 lbs. 80 miles later...BOOM!!! The other three trailer tires were at almost 100 Lbs. I let air out for the drive home.

When I bought these new Carlyle 16-ply tires I discussed the best starting pressure with my tire guy. We decided that 95 PSI would be a good starting point. That first trip, driving at night, The trailer tires hit 110 PSI at about the same 90 minute mark. I stopped at a rest area and let air out. The next morning the right side was sitting in the sun. The right side tires were almost 20 PSI higher than the left, just from the sunshine. After driving 40 miles everything equaled out.

I HATE having to deal with tires! The way I do it now relieves much stress while pulling, and the monitor system lets me know
    something is wrong before I need to call the insurance company again! To each his or her own. Everyone should do what works best for them. I was just adding my experiences to the conversation. At least my last blowout was on the curb side....

Since I bought the EEZ-Tire monitor (with repeater) I have never seen trailer tire temperatures much higher than 90 degrees.
    Glad it is working out for you and you don't have anymore blow out issues.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carlisle tires on my last TT and switched to them on the new one almost immediately, no problems.
    2019 Reflection 312BHTS TT Sold

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123