User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Experience with Carlisle trailer tires

My trailer goes out once a month 9 months a year usually for no more than 300-400 mile trips. It is an Imagine 2800BH.
    I am not looking to get into the discussion about Goodyear Endurance tires and all of their glory.
    But, I had a factory tire that was plugged. The other three have been wearing properly and keeping their pressure. I really don't want to run on a plugged tire on travel trailer.
    So, my Quicklane (which is my preferred tire dealer) has access to the Carlisle line and my sales guy mentioned two different lines - the Ultra CRT and the Radial Trail HD. Both are E/117 rated and one specifies 80 PSI (Trail) and I am awaiting verification that the other does as well. The ultra is cheaper by about $20 per tire.
    Of those with experience with Carlisle tires (I have used them several years ago on previous RVs and other trailers), do you have any thoughts.
    I don't buy the China bomb mentality associated with the factory tires. But once a tire has been damaged, I am not eager to rely on it. I probably could just get another Westlake, but won't.
    2022 Imagine 3250
    2021 f250 fx4 7.3
    2016 Harley Ultra Limited
    1971 F100 Flareside (project)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had the Radial Trail HD's on our old 2016 Forest River Vibe and put 10,000 miles on them in about 3 months. We never had any issues with the tires the entire time we owned the trailer... about 2.5 years. If we had purchased another travel trailer, I wouldn't hesitate to put them on again. However, we now have a 5er and I wanted a little stiffer sidewall.

Go with the Carlisle's, they're good tires.
    2011Chevy Silverado 6.0 2500HD
    2020.5 (White) Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Carlisle on my boat trailer and dump trailer. As long as they rated for the weight you should be fine. They have really good reviews for a while now
    2019 GMC 3500 HD:)
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS:cool:

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob/OlallaWA View Post
    I have the Carlisle on my boat trailer and dump trailer. As long as they rated for the weight you should be fine. They have really good reviews for a while now
    They meet GD's requirements from what I can tell. At 2830 lbs per axle these are 10 ply tires. I run my travel trailer pretty light as well, so I should be well within tolerances for a 2800BH.
    2022 Imagine 3250
    2021 f250 fx4 7.3
    2016 Harley Ultra Limited
    1971 F100 Flareside (project)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's pretty tough to separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to tires. So back in 2009 I had Carlisles on my Cedar Creek. Due to a weight distribution issue I was blowing them within 500 miles. I changed to a popular goodyear tire and it about 1500 miles before it would let go. Back then Carlisles where poo pooed like the Westlakes are today.

Today Carlisle holds a higher respect than they did back then. It's tough to know when you can't get specific data, just a lot of opinion and sales talk. So; my philosophy now is to be real careful about weight and speed ratings on tires, read the online reviews but realize that they are mostly just opinion, however; the online reviews do tend to reveal a trend on tire quality.

For me, I just pay the price of the ticket and go for the ride, sometimes it's good, sometimes not so much. Knock on wood, my Goodyear G614's have been doing well after my epoch Westlake failure.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I can't comment on the Carlisle tires (I now have Goodyears sorry )but our trailer was delivered to us with a plug in one of the Westlake tires. We put almost 20,000 miles on that tire before it was prematurely worn do to a broken spring hanger. Plugged tire never gave us any trouble. Not sure that will put your mind at ease as it's just one data point but I'm sure a plug is not a death sentence for a tire.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carlisle Tires are just another Chinese "will pop" tire. If you're going to spring for E rated tires, go something better. Unfortunately, there are more 16" tires on the retail market than your 15"ers. I'd go with the Goodyear Endurance or Maxxis tires.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will have to disagree with you. Those tires have a very good service life these days
    2019 GMC 3500 HD:)
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS:cool:

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob/OlallaWA View Post
    I will have to disagree with you. Those tires have a very good service life these days
    Bob - you are correct. There have been and still are some folks who are either China haters; operating/posting on outdated information; etc. We long time forum folks have done extensive research and posting over the years on this forum regarding Westlakes and other Chinese ST tires produced in the last 8 or so years and they have been performing well.

There are several threads on this and the most helpful for folks really interested in learning one can review all the posts from @RickTulsa a 40 year tire industry veteran from tire buster to corporate/store management and owner. Yes, there will be folks with issues for various reasons but even these have nearly diminished even with 10 times more GDRVs on the road than a few years ago.

We learned that early on and even today on some RVs, it seem that GDRV and other manufacturers were and are leaving little margin between tire load capacity and ultimate RV weight. Thus there were more issues years ago than today. GDRV listened to our feedback and concerns years ago and did upgrade several RVs to higher rated or even larger size tires. We are seeing very few issues now.

Just having some throw out spit balls about current generation China tires being bombs is not accurate for those tires manufactured in the last 8 or so years and does a dis-service to those folks who are wishing to learn the current days facts.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very well said Dan and I agree as well. I was not happy when I bought my Solitude last year and started reading about how I should replace the G rated Westlakes immediately or I'd regret it. Well after one year and about 2500 miles of towing plus about 1500 delivery miles so far the inevitable hasn't happened. I have never even had to add air to them, they stay at 110 psi period. Hope I didn't just jinx myself lol but I think I will run them another year or two and see how it goes.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast