User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

advice on extended warranties from private companies

I am interested in knowing if anyone thinks it is worth getting an extended warranty from "Good Sam", "RV Advisor" etc. We have a 2019 297rsts and really wonder if it is worth it for coverage on tires and mechanical failure. I am worried about a tire blow out burt I am also concerned about the electrical system etc. There are so many things that can go wrong. I am not sure if the plans are worth it and if they are really will cover once you make a claim. I would appreciate any feedback anyone can provide.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the risk of appearing "not helpful" - I recommend using the search feature (upper right side of your screen) and searching "extended warranty" - there are many, many threads on this topic, several are recent (within 6 months). It is a commonly asked and answered question.
    Scott & Fonda
    2015 F-250 SuperCrew SRW, 6.7L TD
    2020 Imagine 2670MK.........Equal-i-zer 1400#
    Kayaks: Perception Expression 11.5 and Carolina 12
    Bikes: Specialized S-works Amira, Felt Z95, DelSol Lxi 6.1, Electra Townie
    Virginia Beach

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jabhoyt View Post
    I am interested in knowing if anyone thinks it is worth getting an extended warranty from "Good Sam", "RV Advisor" etc. We have a 2019 297rsts and really wonder if it is worth it for coverage on tires and mechanical failure. I am worried about a tire blow out burt I am also concerned about the electrical system etc. There are so many things that can go wrong. I am not sure if the plans are worth it and if they are really will cover once you make a claim. I would appreciate any feedback anyone can provide.
    I can only report that we cancelled all our extended warranties after about a year. We found that most the "little fixes" my husband could handle. If something major were to happen, well, we'll figure out that problem if (when) it happens.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the risk of Appearing not
    terribly responsive to your post, I already looked at the extended warranty posts before I wrote my own question. I am well aware of how to search on the site and the questions and answers may not be exactly what each individual is looking for.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to livinthelife for responding to my question about extended warranties. I am very interested in whether Grand Design owners in particular have extended warranties and why etc. Thanks so much for your post!!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought one and then canceled it within the first 3 months. It was expensive insurance that we decided we could do without. We haven't had many issues and Grand Design has been great at helping us out when things were out of warranty. We have a 'forever warranty' which I am not sure gives me much but it does require that we get things inspected every year. So far the cost has been reasonable but if things get out of hand, we'll do our own inspections and save the $$. If something major fails, we'll just deal with it.
    Frank and Harriett
    2018 303 RLS, Feb 2018 Build
    2009 2500HD Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Short Bed
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankd View Post
    We bought one and then canceled it within the first 3 months. It was expensive insurance that we decided we could do without. We haven't had many issues and Grand Design has been great at helping us out when things were out of warranty. We have a 'forever warranty' which I am not sure gives me much but it does require that we get things inspected every year. So far the cost has been reasonable but if things get out of hand, we'll do our own inspections and save the $$. If something major fails, we'll just deal with it.
    Hi Frank,
    From my understanding, you must have the dealer do that annual inspection and they can run as much as $300 per vIsit !
    Just after a few inspections, you're almost at the cost of a good 5 year plan.

I bought an exclusionary plan whereby everything is included EXCEPT what is specifically excluded. Most comprehensive plan but I did not buy from a dealer and saved thousands of $$$.
    Plus, when you buy it before the warranty is up, its considered an Extended Warranty and cheaper, as well.
    With everything being powered by builder-grade Chinese motors and controlled by some type of computer board or chip, I call it sleep security.

Michael

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Previously known as mikgala

F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat Super Cab LB wt 152K - 25 row Ford tranny cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 high performance Super Chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks

2017 Reflection 307 MKS 9,875 UVW / 12,995 GVWR / 1,605 Pin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jabhoyt View Post
    At the risk of Appearing not
    terribly responsive to your post, I already looked at the extended warranty posts before I wrote my own question. I am well aware of how to search on the site and the questions and answers may not be exactly what each individual is looking for.
    Fair enough.... Peace?
    My dealer offered me an extended warranty/service contract for $3500. I shopped, and got a quote from Wholesale Warranties - $100/deductible, 7 year listed component plan, $2200.
    I've elected to decline all of them. We have total replacement cost coverage for 6 years from GEICO, then scaled/market cost. I'm more comfortable with that $2200 in an interest bearing account.

Safe travels.
    Scott & Fonda
    2015 F-250 SuperCrew SRW, 6.7L TD
    2020 Imagine 2670MK.........Equal-i-zer 1400#
    Kayaks: Perception Expression 11.5 and Carolina 12
    Bikes: Specialized S-works Amira, Felt Z95, DelSol Lxi 6.1, Electra Townie
    Virginia Beach

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a lot cheaper to use YouTube and Google or ask for help from other GD owners. Most everything can be fixed by even owners that aren't the most mechanically inclined. These trailers aren't very complicated once you start digging into them. We're on our 4th trailer and have never needed any major warranty work.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Breeze View Post
    Hi Frank,
    From my understanding, you must have the dealer do that annual inspection and they can run as much as $300 per vIsit !
    Just after a few inspections, you're almost at the cost of a good 5 year plan.

I bought an exclusionary plan whereby everything is included EXCEPT what is specifically excluded. Most comprehensive plan but I did not buy from a dealer and saved thousands of $$$.
    Plus, when you buy it before the warranty is up, its considered an Extended Warranty and cheaper, as well.
    With everything being powered by builder-grade Chinese motors and controlled by some type of computer board or chip, I call it sleep security.

Michael

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Can you tell us the name of the company you obtained it through? I have been looking as well and the three I was quoted were nearly double the cost of a 7 year bumper to bumper warranty on my F150. Once I bought this point up I didn't hear from them any more. Auto extended warranties can be negotiated, these companies didn't seem receptive. This trailer is a lot less complicated and frankly cheaper build. Add to that the exclusions and deductibles (you really need to read and understand these things or you'll be blindsided) that give the provider an out. That warranty, after all, is an insurance policy for peace of mind and right now I feel I'm better off with my money growing in an account to be used as needed.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 09-21-2019 at 04:57 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast