User Tag List

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

12V into closets without big holes?

I'm going to wire up some LEDs in the closets and I'm looking for some wisdom on how to get the 12V in there. I can take it from the reading lights over the bed, but I'd like to keep the wires hidden and I'm not sure what's the best way to get the new branch wires to the closet area. Can I just remove some trim or am I stuck fishing the wires and making big holes to grab them? It's not heavy wire, but I'm trying to minimize holes.
    2015 Chevy 1500 5.3L LT-Z71 Double Cab Standard Bed
    Roadmaster Active Suspension Kit
    Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller
    Equalizer 1k/10k hitch w/sway bracket jackets
    2019 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just tossing this out there, but we went with usb rechargeable motion lights in the closets. Still on the first charge from the beginning of the season, and we put them up with velcro to they are easy to take down and re-charge. I was worried about the messing around, but there really hasn't been any, and the motion aspect is really handy.

More info here: https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post198180
    2019 F350 6.7L PS SRW CCSB Platinum
    2021 28BH with theater seating and 2nd AC
    2019 Imagine 2400BH w/solar (sold)
    https://rolling.howardweb.info/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGuy View Post
    I'm going to wire up some LEDs in the closets and I'm looking for some wisdom on how to get the 12V in there. I can take it from the reading lights over the bed, but I'd like to keep the wires hidden and I'm not sure what's the best way to get the new branch wires to the closet area. Can I just remove some trim or am I stuck fishing the wires and making big holes to grab them? It's not heavy wire, but I'm trying to minimize holes.
    I installed lights in my closets. You have about 1.5" of open space to get wire from the reading light. If you look the roof of the closet is common to the bottom of the cabinets. There is a cross piece about 1/2 way across that I went under with the wire. Use a long screwdriver to get under it. I used 20 gage speaker wire. You can do it with a lot of patience and it makes a factory clean job.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hiding wires behind trim is common. It's perfectly safe for 12V systems so long as you never pierce the insulation.

Electricians use a "fish tape" to reach through small spaces. A heavy wire or coat hanger, (remember wire coat hangers?) can also work. Put a hook on the end and tape the small wire onto it to pull it back.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLight View Post
    Hiding wires behind trim is common. It's perfectly safe for 12V systems so long as you never pierce the insulation.

Electricians use a "fish tape" to reach through small spaces. A heavy wire or coat hanger, (remember wire coat hangers?) can also work. Put a hook on the end and tape the small wire onto it to pull it back.
    Yup. This was my plan. Done lots of low voltage wiring on cars. But they're made to come apart a bit easier. Was just wondering if anyone had a secret method that would be easier. I don't like drilling holes.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    2019 Imagine 2600RB

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The best access I have found for looking at running things is pull the roof vent trim ring. You may be able to get to fish to both locations from there. Lots of room in the attic so to speak.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I tried again last night. Short version is that I think I'll be prying up the floor of the overhead cabinet. I tried two different fish tapes and neither could make the angle because there is an obstruction to a straight shot. I may try using a magnet and a washer or something if I can find one strong enough in my bin o stuff, otherwise I'll just pry up the cabinet floor.

2019 Imagine 2600RB

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGuy View Post
    Well I tried again last night. Short version is that I think I'll be prying up the floor of the overhead cabinet. I tried two different fish tapes and neither could make the angle because there is an obstruction to a straight shot. I may try using a magnet and a washer or something if I can find one strong enough in my bin o stuff, otherwise I'll just pry up the cabinet floor.

the obstruction you are speaking of is a fur strip between the light and the closet. As I said in my previous post you can take a long screw driver and insert it in the hole of the existing light as far as it will go. That will open a space under the fur strip enough to get a fish wire under it. It is not fastened except on the ends. As I said, it takes patience. I did it on mine in about 2 hours.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokensalem View Post
    the obstruction you are speaking of is a fur strip between the light and the closet. As I said in my previous post you can take a long screw driver and insert it in the hole of the existing light as far as it will go. That will open a space under the fur strip enough to get a fish wire under it. It is not fastened except on the ends. As I said, it takes patience. I did it on mine in about 2 hours.
    I'll try that but a screw driver won't be long enough. The furring strip is basically at the joint where the closet meets the overhead.

2019 Imagine 2600RB