Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Axle destroyed

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    I gotta think it has something to do with that tire just being replaced. Too much of a coincidence. Lug nuts too loose to way too tight, caused wheel to wobble on the drum. Not sure but it's too much of a coincidence.
    X2 ! I would be contacting the shop where the work was done. Spending some time looking in the forest at the proper trajectory where the road is marked up from the drum dragging would be worth some time and of value when dealing with the shop.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought it was pretty coincidental, also, but don’t know how I’d prove it.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Janiceknight1 View Post
    The wheel bearings were replaced in 2017 after all of the GD grease issues. They have been repacked every year....last time in Jan.2019. Have no idea why this wasn’t caught since the failure occurred about 60 miles later.
    This is where I would look, 60 miles after a repack? Sounds like either the bearing was bad and reinstalled or reinstalled incorrectly, maybe castle nut too tight,??

Just a guess though. Could just as easy be a coincidence.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hadn't thought to look for pavement marks. The people that waved me over said it happened more than 5 miles before, but couldn’t be more specific. I spent hours searching 5 to 15 miles back. I’ll go back and look for the mark. Thanks for the idea.

To respond to the other thread, I just had brand new tires put on two days ago. The hearings were repacked in Jan. 2019.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just curious, did the drum come off of the axle with the wheel or did the wheel and tire separate from the drum? Drum and wheel together would be no fault of the tire installer, but if just the wheel and tire came off, the tire installer is at fault.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners
    RETIRED Maint Supervisor, Certified Welder, ASE Master Tech, Owner tire shop

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nuffsaid, Everything came off. Even though they were nice enough to give me a new tire, I knew it wasn’t the fault of the tire installer. However, I was told that, if the bearings were in that bad of shape, they should have caught it when putting the new tires on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12