Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Webasto Diesel Heater: Ideas

Hello All!

I am a new owner of 398Momentum (2018)

I am in Minnesota near North Branch and plan to camp throughout the winter

I am working on enhanced heating for my rig as propane furnace isn't very effective

I've got wood burner installed in the main room (still working on the exist pipe though), it is cool but only heats main room and mat capacity isn't that great

I am thinking about adding webasto diesel heater (or knok off)

Idea was to install it in the garage, use washer/drier exit port for exhaust; Not sure where to put diesel tanks though … can be outside

Question is how to deliver heat throughout the thing: can I pump air back into the furnace ducts? (there is one near the washer connections) Will it reach anything?

Is it a good idea to heat space under the floor? How do I even get there?

Any ideas appreciated!

Thanks!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from another Minnesotan!

A couple snowmobiles will fit nicely in your 398. If you can get the heat figured out you could spend the winter here ! I am not sure you could ever keep any rv warm enough to survive a Minnesota winter though.

We have a small electric oil filled heater that we used in our old TT during cold weather. It is shaped like an old radiator. We put in in the bedroom and never had to worry about combustion gasses or it burning anything. It worked very well. It wouldn’t do anything for the under belly area though.

Good luck and enjoy the rig!

Mark
    Mark & Megan & Levi (our floppy eared four legged furry friend)
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax
    B & W Companion

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agazoo View Post
    Hello All!

I am a new owner of 398Momentum (2018)

I am in Minnesota near North Branch and plan to camp throughout the winter

I am working on enhanced heating for my rig as propane furnace isn't very effective

I've got wood burner installed in the main room (still working on the exist pipe though), it is cool but only heats main room and mat capacity isn't that great

I am thinking about adding webasto diesel heater (or knok off)

Idea was to install it in the garage, use washer/drier exit port for exhaust; Not sure where to put diesel tanks though … can be outside

Question is how to deliver heat throughout the thing: can I pump air back into the furnace ducts? (there is one near the washer connections) Will it reach anything?

Is it a good idea to heat space under the floor? How do I even get there?

Any ideas appreciated!

Thanks!
    Check out my thread with the links to the chinese diesel aux heater. I bought the 8kw version, it is very easy on diesel, with two of them I think you could heat what you need. You will still need to keep your batteries charged though.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners
    RETIRED Maint Supervisor, Certified Welder, ASE Master Tech, Owner tire shop

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuffsaid View Post
    Check out my thread with the links to the chinese diesel aux heater. I bought the 8kw version, it is very easy on diesel, with two of them I think you could heat what you need. You will still need to keep your batteries charged though.
    Thanks,

I ended up installing Webasto heater to heat bedroom (heater itself is in generator compartment)

Installed additional Chinese clone, built as AIO unit (essentially you hook power, exhaust, everything else is assembled ); It is of a lower quality but it works and is considerably cheaper)

Got wood stove going on too (mini); Took a while to figure out pipe; Gives decent amount of heat and really awesome smell;

Still choosing right batteries; My main bank rocks Fleet Farm Cheepos (12 of them) but this is for my 120 vault system, looking for a buffer bats for camper itself;

Came back from trip to Nevada recently (4500 miles total), things Rocks!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man! I would love a diesel heater! I would really love a diesel generator instead of the gas Onan that comes in these things. I would run both off the 30 gallon tanks that are under the garage. Most of my toys are diesel anyway, except for three 2 stroke golf carts and an electric golf cart.
    2018 Grand Design Momentum 350M
    2018 Dodge Ram 4500 4x4 4 door flatbed Cummins Aisin 4.10s