User Tag List

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 year old rig = decal death?

Well, the upper decal on our nose has finally bleached out and deteriorated to the point that my husband is taking it off (in bits and pieces).

The "Reflection" decal on the nose has some spots in it, so I'm going to see if I can find out how much that decal costs to replace, but I think we're just going to take the upper one off and leave it.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    Well, the upper decal on our nose has finally bleached out and deteriorated to the point that my husband is taking it off (in bits and pieces).

The "Reflection" decal on the nose has some spots in it, so I'm going to see if I can find out how much that decal costs to replace, but I think we're just going to take the upper one off and leave it.
    Went in and asked my dealer the other day when I noticed some bubbling on a side decal. They told their is a 5 yr warranty on decals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    John & Debra - Chesapeake, VA

2017 F350 Lariat SRW Diesel
    2017 Reflection 367BHS
    Anderson Ultimate

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pjmcgill View Post
    Went in and asked my dealer the other day when I noticed some bubbling on a side decal. They told their is a 5 yr warranty on decals.
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The 5 yr warranty is for the decals only, not the labor to remove and replace.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    The 5 yr warranty is for the decals only, not the labor to remove and replace.
    Correct! And that is the worst part. They are a royal PITA to get off! Last thing I would do would be to put new ones on again.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it were me and I am sure the time will come, I would consider having the decals removed professionally and the cap repainted and forget applying new decals.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Decals are not difficult to remove if you know the pro tricks!

You need a spray bottle filled with ammonia and dark plastic film - a black garbage bag works great if you cut it open such that you're working with a single layer of plastic film. Where some chemically resistant gloves too.

First rinse and leave wet every surface on the camper below the decal you want to remove with water. Spray the entire area of the decal and slightly outside of the area with ammonia, fully covering so it's clearly wet, and immediately place the plastic bag over the decal and overlap the edge at least 3-4 inches. Hose any ammonia that has run down the camper below the decal, and do so until no more is running past the plastic. Leave the bag in place for a couple of hours and you will see it begin to fall away from the camper - the decal is detaching. When that happens, it's time to peel it off. Do so, and then clean the remaining adhesive residue with 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover - don't bother with the effort of alcohol or Goo-Gone when you can use the real deal!

Now, I do not recommend the average DIY-er does this because you need a steady hand, but the Pros will take a razor blade and scarify large surface area decals to accelerate the process by getting the ammonia to the adhesive more quickly.

If you decals are small, and you hate the smell of ammonia, you can also use 3M adhesive removing wheel on a drill to knock them off.

Good chance if your rig spent a lot of time in the sun you're going to have ghosting due to sun fade and oxidation and will likely need to replace the decals.

My nephew is one of these pros. He does RV decal makeovers a couple time of years, and does so cutting replacements out of higher quality vinyls like Oracal.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BB&LAB View Post
    If it were me and I am sure the time will come, I would consider having the decals removed professionally and the cap repainted and forget applying new decals.
    That's what I'm planning on doing. Our front camp decals didn't even make it three years before they started cracking and looking bad. Maybe when it cools off and we're in southern NM for the winter, I'll get around to doing something about it...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BB&LAB View Post
    We've already decided to just leave that decal off. I think it looks fine without it, since it's fairly light colored, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    That's what I'm planning on doing. Our front camp decals didn't even make it three years before they started cracking and looking bad. Maybe when it cools off and we're in southern NM for the winter, I'll get around to doing something about it...

Rob
    My husband found the decal part comes off fairly easily in hotter weather (albeit in bits and pieces). But the adhesive is still there.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)