Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New GD owner, towing questions.

Hello All,
    I just purchased a 17 reflection 308bhts. I had the trailer transported from MN to FL. I am looking at tow vehicles and WD hitches. I will start full timing next month. I had some questions about tongue weight and WD hitches. I think my Tongue weight should be in the neighborhood of 12-15k lbs. I am thinking of purchasing the blue ox WD hitch with 1500# bars... I’m a newbie, does this sound about right?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry you haven’t gotten a response. I’m pulling a fifth wheel so don’t really have much information. I have read folks love the Hensley product but is awfully expensive. I believe your tongue weight may be a typo , possibly 12-1500.
    You may try posting your question on irv.2 site , a kind of sister website to this one.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked up the 308BHTS specs and it seems like at fully loaded weight it is right around 10,000lbs. Obviously will be less when not fully loaded. 10 - 15% of the actual trailer weight is what the tounge will weigh. Sometimes you have to move weight around a little bit to get to the "sweet" spot for towing the camper. Some truck/trailer combos ride better at 12%, some at 15%, etc. To answer your question, I think 1500lb bars for your hitch will be good. You can figure out actual tounge weights by using a truck scale or getting a tounge scale that you can use at home.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomadically_inclined View Post
    Hello All,
    I just purchased a 17 reflection 308bhts. I had the trailer transported from MN to FL. I am looking at tow vehicles and WD hitches. I will start full timing next month. I had some questions about tongue weight and WD hitches. I think my Tongue weight should be in the neighborhood of 12-15k lbs. I am thinking of purchasing the blue ox WD hitch with 1500# bars... I’m a newbie, does this sound about right?
    I tow a 315RLTS that has a similar tongue weight. I use a Blue Ox hitch 2000lb hitch with 2k bars and am very happy with its performance, especially in crosswinds and truck traffic. I went with the 2k to get the 2-1/2 inch shank to fit the receiver on my truck eliminating the need for a 2 inch adapter. Also, the 315 could hit 1500lbs or more in tongue weight. I'm sure the 1500lb unit would work fine. Maybe give Blue Ox a call.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Make sure the tow vehicle hitch is rated for your needs. I would use the 2000 lb WD number). You will need 3/4 ton or bigger with the correct tow package to have the rated hitch you need. There should be a sticker on the hitch with the weight limits, both static and WD. Also check the door sticker for the other critical weight limits. From my experience with WD hitches, is it is better to have too much bar, then not enough.

Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know the details but at that size don't think you will regret a diesel tow vehicle.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghdorn View Post
    Don't know the details but at that size don't think you will regret a diesel tow vehicle.
    I've always had diesels for my tow vehicle, but I started out towing when there was enough of a price difference in the fuel and weaker gas engines that it made sense. These days I would suggest taking a serious look at ones needs. If one is not moving all of the time and lives were it's mainly flat a gas engine should be able to handle the weight of his trailer just fine. Now, looking at a 3/4 ton truck is probably a good idea for the weight unless he can find one of those unicorn F150 with the HD payload package. Of course, it also depends on what he's going to carry in the truck besides himself.

I should also add that sense you're looking for a truck as well remember the old adage "Nobody ever complained about having too much truck." It's one thing to have a truck, find a trailer that you really like, and then try to make things work. If starting from scratch you're starting from a better spot than probably 90% of us. :-)
    Last edited by ramcneal; 12-26-2019 at 12:12 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2018 Dodge 3500 DRW
    2019 Reflection 337RLS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with folks who recommend a 3/4 ton truck. I towed a 6800lb trailer (loaded) with a half ton pickup, and it did fine. I upgraded the trailer to one that was just shy of 10,000 lbs, and upgraded to a 3/4 ton.

7000 probably the max I would want to tow with a half ton pickup. That's just me though... others may do just fine.

On my Primetime Lacrosse, it weight just under 10K pounds and the tongue weight was right at 1500lbs. I towed it with Blue Ox Swaypro 1500 just fine.

Honestly, if you are looking for the truck "fresh", you might consider going straight to a 1ton. Not that you will need it for that trailer, but if you ever decide you want something different, maybe a 5er, then you will be glad you went to 1 ton off the start. I was fortunate in that I sold my 3/4 ton diesel for $1000 less than what I paid for it two years prior. Diesel's hold their value, but best to bite the bullet one time and be done.

Card carrying member of the 3 truck club.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nomadically_inclined--Welcome and you found the best place to ask questions and get real world responses. Also all members are family and more than willing to help or provide suggestions.

FT4NOW- Provided a great answer to tongue weight and bar recommendations.

Everyone has their own level of "comfort" when it comes to type and size of truck and what Weight Distribution system gives them that feeling of comfort and safety. But please remember what is suggested may not be what provides you that comfort and safety. I can say you may buy several trucks or weight distribution systems before you find that magic combination.

I will share my experience. I owned a 2015 RAM 2500 single rear wheel diesel truck and bought a 2019 297 RSTS last year and purchased the Equalizer #1600 four point with sway, had dealer install and drove it 6 months before realizing I was not comfortable with the sway or the way the trailer handled. Trust me when I say I made dozens of trips to the CAT scale and to the dealer to have the weight distribution adjusted, I was not ready to abandon the $700 I had spent on the Equalizer and so many others had given the Equalizer great reviews.
    I finally decided to bite the bullet and purchased the ProPride 3P hitch, for me it was a night a day difference and the comfort and safety level for me jumped from 5 to an 8. After 6 months of pulling the trailer with the ProPride and 2015 RAM 2500 I decided I wanted a little more stability so sold the RAM 2500 SRW and bought a RAM 3500 DRW, have not hooked up the trailer yet cause it is winter and I am currently in Spokane, WA but plan on getting on the road in April for a 6 month trip to Florida then off to Alaska in July so I think I will be at my comfort and safety level.

Moral of my story...try and buy what is right for you the first time it will save you time and money in the long run.

Happy to share any other information, safe travels.
    Brian-USMC Retired
    2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    2019 RAM 3500 Laramie MegaCab-4x4 DRW-AISIN
    Propride 3P Hitch
    Spokane, WA