User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do I need a 30A extension cord at home?

My trailer is about 100' away from the house power. Do I need a 30A size extension cord all the way to the house 120V just to run vent fans or to recharge the battery?
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simple answer is no. Not for what described. A 20 amp would be all you need.

If you start maxing out a 20 amp extension cord over 100 feet then that could become a concern. If you keep it at a low amperage usage you should be fine.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It makes total sense, but wanted to ask just to be safe. Thanks.
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SJMaye View Post
    My trailer is about 100' away from the house power. Do I need a 30A size extension cord all the way to the house 120V just to run vent fans or to recharge the battery?
    Hi SJMaye,
    A 30A extension cord should be on your wish list, simply because you might find yourself in a CG site where you just can’t get close enough. We prepped our trailer using a heavy gauge extension cord, leading to a 20A circuit for the first summer we owned it. The cord isn’t necessarily the issue (although it should be heavy gauge), it’s the circuit you’re drawing from. Think about what else is drawing, and try to eliminate it if you can. In our case, when I wanted to use my pressure washer that I usually plugged into our 20A deck run, I ended up using an extension cord out the bathroom window (a different circuit), to avoid interrupting the trailer’s connection (food in the fridge). In other words, just be aware of what else might potentially draw off the circuit you’ve put your trailer on, and don’t forget to alert the rest of your household!
    N
    We never use the AC or microwave while plugged in at home! Ever!
    Last edited by Houndbb; 09-20-2019 at 06:35 AM.
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndbb View Post
    Hi SJMaye,
    A 30A extension cord should be on your wish list, simply because you might find yourself in a CG site where you just can’t get close enough. We prepped our trailer using a heavy gauge extension cord, leading to a 20A circuit for the first summer we owned it. The cord isn’t necessarily the issue (although it should be heavy gauge), it’s the circuit you’re drawing from. Think about what else is drawing, and try to eliminate it if you can. In our case, when I wanted to use my pressure washer that I usually plugged into our 20A deck run, I ended up using an extension cord out the bathroom window (a different circuit), to avoid interrupting the trailer’s connection (food in the fridge). In other words, just be aware of what else might potentially draw off the circuit you’ve put your trailer on, and don’t forget to alert the rest of your household!
    N
    We never use the AC or microwave while plugged in at home! Ever!
    I agree having a 30amp extension cord is worth having on board for those times when the pedestal is too far away. But the op indicated his closest electrical connection is 100' away which translates to approximately 70' of extension, not a good idea and very expensive. To the OP for what you described, as mentioned, a good 20-amp extension would serve you well. Because of the distance make sure you get a heavy duty outdoor extension in the 12-14 AWG range.
    Last edited by BB&LAB; 09-20-2019 at 05:16 PM.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a the 30A cord from buying the trailer and I already purchased another. Together they just won't make it to the outlet. Ultimately I will run power to the parking spot.
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best place to purchase extension cords is Harbor Freight. They carry many different gauge wires in stock.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a the 30A cord from buying the trailer and I already purchased another. Together they just won't make it to the outlet. Ultimately I will run power to the parking spot.
    Nobody has mentioned the obvious - maybe it's too obvious! - but you'll need an adapter to go between your 30-amp shore power cables and your 15-amp extension cord.

However the main reason I jumped in was to advocate for getting a really good extension cord. So much junk on store shelves these days. A high-quality 75-foot or 100-foot outdoor-rated extension cord with at least 12ga wires and good-quality flexible insulation will hurt when you buy it but likely last longer and be useful in more situations than the home plug-in on which you're currently focused. I keep mine in the trailer's basement and have been surprised myself at how often it's been useful.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody has mentioned the obvious - maybe it's too obvious! - but you'll need an adapter to go between your 30-amp shore power cables and your 15-amp extension cord.

However the main reason I jumped in was to advocate for getting a really good extension cord. So much junk on store shelves these days. A high-quality 75-foot or 100-foot outdoor-rated extension cord with at least 12ga wires and good-quality flexible insulation will hurt when you buy it but likely last longer and be useful in more situations than just the home plug-in on which you're currently focused. I keep mine in the trailer's basement and have been surprised myself at how often it's been useful.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After looking at how many more feet I need to get to my house I think I will just buy a second 30A RV extension cord. It does not cost that much more and I know it will work OK.
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast