User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TPMS - Tireminder vs TST

I know this subject has been beaten to death and covered in various forums. I've read a ton of the info, but still haven't decided on the brand. Have narrowed it down to Tireminder and TST. Has anyone that has been on the site longer and seen many of the posts or has experience with one or both systems ever gotten a sense of the clear winner or the two? Seems both systems have their pros/cons and advocates. We're pretty new to RV'ing and have found info on the site that I would never have thought of, but now know to be very important, especially the TPMS and wheel bearings issues. Your experience has been very helpful. Thanks.
    Kim & Deborah - Austin, TX
    2017 Ford F250 King Ranch 4WD (6.7L Power Stroke Diesel)
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS TT

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have TST and it was easy to set-up and operate, love the color screen which makes it easier to read while driving. Having said that, I am not sure there is a "clear winner" as Tire Minder seems to have a good reputation and have their following. My recommendation is to read and understand what each offers, how they accomplish the same thing and choose the one which you feel most comfortable with.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking you are correct. Thanks for your input of the TST.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've been pleased with our TireMinder Smart TPMS -

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...189#post241189
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I read that the TireMinder display 'goes to sleep' rather than continually display temps and pressures. The TST (that's what I have) continually cycles through the tires displaying the temp and PSI. I haven't verified that the TireMidner display times out; I was reading up on it trying to find a system that shows all 8 tires simultaneously, continuoulsy and thought the TireMinder did that, but I could never verify it. Maybe one day I'll call them and ask.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the recommendation and the link!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the TireMinder so can only comment on it. The technology works, although I have had a couple false positives (tire pressure suddenly reads 0 or 31). I see that as a software problem. The two times that I did have a problem (both slow leaks) it did alert me to it, so it worked for me.

The interface to my phone is boring but it does display what I need.

It can be set to "non-sleep" mode so it doesn't disconnect.

It also does auto-scroll through all tires.
    Last edited by jim1521; 09-21-2019 at 12:48 PM.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim1521 View Post
    I have the TireMinder so can only comment on it. The technology works, although I have had a couple false positives (tire pressure suddenly reads 0 or 31). I see that as a software problem. The two times that I did have a problem (both slow leaks) it did alert me to it, so it worked for me.

The interface to my phone is boring but it does display what I need.

It can be set to "non-sleep" mode so it doesn't disconnect.

It also does auto-scroll through all tires.
    Al good info to know. Thanks.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @RangerTX
    Hi Kim & Deborah,

I have been running Tireminder for 5 years and it works, but loss of signal is a problem. I run two boosters (on Tireminder advice) but still lose a signal and get a warning of this . . . which is disconcerting. This seems to be primarily a weak sensor battery problem.

The way that Tireminder works (don’t know if TST is the same) is that the “smarts” are in the sensor. If temp and pressure are within set range, the sensor updates the monitor about every 20 minutes (to save sensor battery power). If either goes out of range, the sensor notifies the monitor within 6 seconds. You can test this whenever you remove a sensor to adjust air pressure. (Tireminder sensors are not flow through).

Over the years, the sensors have found two slow leaks, so they have done their job. Tireminder is OK with their sensors on rubber valve stems and I have run mine like this for thousands of miles with no problems.

A TPMS sensor is not going to find a hot bearing. It is measuring temperature at the end of the valve stem . . . a long way from the hub bearings.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    @RangerTX
    Hi Kim & Deborah,

I have been running Tireminder for 5 years and it works, but loss of signal is a problem. I run two boosters (on Tireminder advice) but still lose a signal and get a warning of this . . . which is disconcerting. This seems to be primarily a weak sensor battery problem.

The way that Tireminder works (don’t know if TST is the same) is that the “smarts” are in the sensor. If temp and pressure are within set range, the sensor updates the monitor about every 20 minutes (to save sensor battery power). If either goes out of range, the sensor notifies the monitor within 6 seconds. You can test this whenever you remove a sensor to adjust air pressure. (Tireminder sensors are not flow through).

Over the years, the sensors have found two slow leaks, so they have done their job. Tireminder is OK with their sensors on rubber valve stems and I have run mine like this for thousands of miles with no problems.

A TPMS sensor is not going to find a hot bearing. It is measuring temperature at the end of the valve stem . . . a long way from the hub bearings.

Rob
    Rob,
    I wasn't aware of exactly how they reported. Thanks for the detail. I did pick up an infrared gun today to check the temps on the hubs and tires. Another toy in the arsenal.
    Thanks.
    Kim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast