User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winter Battery Storage

What are you guys doing with your batteries over the winter? I'm in MN with a long cold season ahead. Last year I left my 354M plugged in all winter. Options to consider.
    1. Physically disconnect wires from both batteries.
    2. Redo battery shutoff switch so ALL power is disconnected. (https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app)
    3. Add separate disconnect switch directly from batteries.

What do you guys recommend?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MN_Rider; 09-21-2019 at 09:35 AM.
    MN_Rider

2019 354M Momentum
    2013 F350 CCSB 6.7

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MN_Rider View Post
    What are you guys doing with your batteries over the winter? I'm in MN with a long cold season ahead. Last year I left my 354M plugged in all winter. Options to consider.
    1. Physically disconnect wires from both batteries.
    2. Redo battery shutoff switch so ALL power is disconnected. (https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app)
    3. Add separate disconnect switch directly from batteries.

What do you guys recommend?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    We store our trailer in a building. Last year, we forgot to take the battery home with us. This year, we will take our NEW battery home to store in our barn. We have a trickle charger in our boat and if it should drain over winter (it shouldn’t, at 40*), we can put it on the charger (probably will, anyway, before we pick up the trailer in spring). Lesson learned.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My preference would be to remove completely, or at the minimum a battery disconnect with a battery tender on them.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remove our battery for the winter and store it inside the garage with it sitting on wood.
    Happy campers! / Lorna & Eric and our little furball, Finnan, Canandaigua, NY
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 6.6L Duramax Turbo Diesel, Allison 6 speed transmission, 5th wheel setup, Pullrite SuperGlide 20k
    2018 Reflection 303RLS Built 3/2018, Dual AC's

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with removing the batteries. If they discharge completely, they run the risk of freeze and break, and leak all over the place.

I also put the RV, mower, motorcycle, and any other non-winter use batteries in my garage. Put them on wood or walking mats (never directly on concrete). Don't hook them all together. Buy one of the cheap $25 battery minder chargers from the local automotive store. I just move the charger from one battery to the other as I take out the trash, etc. I suppose that I move the charger to another battery in the line about every 3-5 days. Be sure to orient the batteries with the positive on the same side (so you don't reverse charge one!) This makes sure that no battery ever falls below the sulfaction level and gets ruined. I had the last set of RV batteries for 6 years (before I sold the rig)

Another point on RV batteries: try to buy the exact same batteries if you have more than one. Same size, same model... and same lot number if you can. In this way, they are perfectly matched and will really work as a single battery source for your RV. I saw a guy who had 2 different vendors, in different cold cranking amps, different physical size, etc. He had all sorts of charging issues with his rig.
    2015 Ford F350 6.7L TurboDiesel, Crew Cab, short bed SRW, 4x4, Lariat
    2021 Reflection 5th Wheel 337
    Pullrite Superglide hitch, TST507 TPMS

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I had a thread last year that gave detailed info about self discharging. In essence, it takes many, many months in hot weather. And far, far longer in cold - like we have in Minn. If your battery is good, there just is no need to take it inside, or maintain it on trickle. The exception is Texas or Death Valley in the summer. Fully charged batteries do not freeze until -74F. If it is that cold, we have other worries. Most of us in the north will never see our batteries get below 90% charged over a 6-8 month outdoor storage period. Here in Minn, with many different batteries over many years, I've never seen below 95% over the winter. Got to 80% once after a year and a half in storage!
    Make sure they are fully charged and just disconnect the black negative wire(s), and forget about it.
    I had a shut off switch on mine, but frankly the number of times I put the camper into storage (2-3 times a year), it was just as easy to take the negative wires off.

Besides draining them dead, the most damage to batteries is done with overcharging. Yes, there are high quality maintainers that do a good job. But it is a belt and suspenders thing. Not needed, but if it makes you feel better....
    At the minimum, don't bring them into the house. Keep them cool or cold when in storage.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)