User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which travel trailer?

Wife & I are looking at getting our first TT. Have it narrowed down to a Keystone Cougar 22RBSWE & a Grand Design XLS 22RBE. Of course depending on which dealer your at, the one they sell is so much better quality! Would like to hear your thoughts and opinions as opposed to someone who is trying to make $ off of us. Pros & Cons? Grand Design dealer told us the Cougars are known for Delam, not sure to believe him or not? We live in Washington state & are looking thru Tacoma Rv & Clear Creek Rv.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont drink the great quality Kool Aid that Grand Design touts, but I've also owned 2 other Keystone products and would not consider another. If I had to buy a new one now I would still consider another Grand Design, especially if my other option was a Keystone.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You will find lots of posts on which is best. While I am having some issues with my 5er I have found in poking around the structure is solid and I have Dexter axles - both a plus.

But here is what is important - which can you live with the best. Bedroom - can you move around, storage for long and short things, Headroom. Bed - mattress can be replaced, but what about things you might need like night stand room for a CPAP or alarm clock. Power outlets - are the where you can use them. Bath and Shower - will the work for you. Storage for towels, TP, and medicines. Fit and trim - look for snag points. Kitchen - Pantry for food, storage for pots and pans, utensils. Stove and fridge access, counter space. Area seating - there will be those days of rain that you might be stuck inside.

Outside - storage pass through - size and placement. Will it hold your stuff - an you get chairs to fit. Battery area - space for 2 batteries (make 2 batteries part of the deal). Awning placement and brand. Actually crawl under and look the belly pan and seams along edge. Can you get to the spare tire? Think about being on the road shoulder and how can you get it out. What kind of latches on exterior compartment. Slam latches can be more durable, but not necessary

Now what about the things you will use at every campground - leveling jacks - sewer and water placement, electric hook up. Is everything easily accessable like the water pump, back of heater, and hot water tank. At some point you will have issues and need access.
    Suspension and tires - which is higher rated for cargo capacity?

Do you have a good hitch? Be wary of the free hitch included deals as most are bottom end. You will want to get a good one (separate search) Do you have enough tow vehicle?

Do you have kids and if so where will their stuff go.

Now what I suggest is go back to each unit and just sit and look over what I have mentioned above. If you can get rid of the sales man even better so you can talk. Think together of where all your stuff will go. Have the dealer pull the trim ring on a sealing vent and just look at the materials, construction, and insulation.

Well enough said - have fun, and if you have any concerns - walk away if they cant be resolved.

Hope this helps
    Keith

On edit: Check out other RV forms. I know there are several about GD and several about Keystone. Trailer life may have a review and there is always iRV2. Have a great weekend
    Last edited by powerscol; 09-21-2019 at 01:45 PM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good advice from powerscol. Spend some time in them not just a walk in and look around. Sit there like it was already yours and take a good look. Look at the fit and finish how good of a job they did with the. Read the forums from both trailers to get a feel how good they are and how good rroblems were dealt with.Three things a lot of people look for is can the fridge , bathroom and bed be accessed when on the road without putting the slides out. At the rest area during travls that could be lunch and even some rest.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Powerscol please educate me as this is all new to us. Why the 2 batteries? The cougar comes with 2 while the imagine comes with 1 (27 volt) according to the salesman.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitsman3 View Post
    Powerscol please educate me as this is all new to us. Why the 2 batteries? The cougar comes with 2 while the imagine comes with 1 (27 volt) according to the salesman.
    It's a 12 volt, but a group 27 battery. The amount of batteries needed depends on the type of camping you will be doing. If always hooked up to electric the extra batteries arent beneficial. If you boondock or also known as dry camp, the extra batteries become an advantage. The whole dry camping and type of battery is a whole topic to discuss by itself. Batteries are provided by the dealer, although it's probably baked into your dealer prep fees. You can always add more batteries if needed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    FT4NOW gave some good information.

For me I also have a 170 watt solar on the roof, so I can do a lot of non electric camping like many state parks and BLM or Forrest service. A lot of great places to camp. They usually just have water available (not at site) and rest rooms of some sort but no electric for the sites or dump stations. Called dry camping or boon docking. I also Wall Mart camp as a stop for just overnight (where allowed and safe).Check to see what kind of lightning each unit has. Incandescent takes a lot more power than LED. Having enough power means you can have the lights on longer or water pump run longer. If you cold camp running the furnace can really drain a single battery fast - like overnight. Before solar with my old trailer I cold last maybe 3 days in the summer on 1 battery - depending on what the kids did. 2 6volt golf cart battery's in series is even better (another search for you).

BTW - check to see if each unit is solar ready on the roof and consider a solar set up of some kind. I made a 35 watt package work on my 2001 trailer, but went to 170 watts this time - a big improvement. Having solar allows the use of an inverter (on my wish list) 12v to 110 for must have items like your coffee maker or hair dryer. Its limited by the battery's .

Hope the helps
    Last edited by powerscol; 09-21-2019 at 04:28 PM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Which travel trailer?

...And some of us hate RV parks and crowded campgrounds so we prefer to dry camp in the middle of nowhere for months at a time, in which case you need a lot of batteries and a lot of solar or a good-sized generator, or all the above.

If you prefer dry camping, that will also affect which type of RV you buy since some are better equipped for it than others.

For instance, I rarely see 40+ foot Solitudes or Momentums camping in some of the places I camp, because they don’t have the ground clearance my small Reflection fifth wheel has and they aren’t able to negotiate the corners.

So keep that in mind as well, the longer your trailer the fewer options you’ll have for camping spots.

But if you’re just going from one full hookup park to another then most of the above doesn’t matter.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wife & I are looking at getting our first TT. Have it narrowed down to a Keystone Cougar 22RBSWE & a Grand Design XLS 22RBE. Of course depending on which dealer your at, the one they sell is so much better quality! Would like to hear your thoughts and opinions as opposed to someone who is trying to make $ off of us. Pros & Cons? Grand Design dealer told us the Cougars are known for Delam, not sure to believe him or not? We live in Washington state & are looking thru Tacoma Rv & Clear Creek Rv.
    We had looked at a Cougar but there was a problem above the bed was the RV'S name. My wife said I'm not sleeping in a bed that's says Cougar above my head. [emoji1787]
    I said OK dear.

Ken

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    2020 Imagine 2450RL
    Wasaga Beach Ontario Canada
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 Trailer Tow Package
    Eaz-Lift Elite WD Hitch 14,000lb capacity 1,200lb bars

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two batteries cannot give you 27 volts. He does not know what he's talking about.

When we were looking for our first RV we had it narrowed down to a few. Even with the name above the bed issue when I said to the salesman we would be pulling this from Ontario to Florida and across Canada he said we didn't want the Cougar or the Heartland, Reflection would be his first choice. The set up a 297 in their deliver area for us and we spent 2 hours in it. They connected water and electricity and said try it out. I can't remember his other manufacture but I know I have some literature here for them. We went with the Imagine because we felt the 2450RL was not only suited for us but the weight and length meant that I could pull it with and F150 with trailer tow and an EcoBoost engine.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    2020 Imagine 2450RL
    Wasaga Beach Ontario Canada
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 Trailer Tow Package
    Eaz-Lift Elite WD Hitch 14,000lb capacity 1,200lb bars

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast