User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cracked Spring Hanger - Advice?

I just got back from a very short weekend trip and heard a little bit of a bang when leveling on my driveway. I was not too worried about it as sometimes suspension, springs and such make some noise when leveling. I decided to inspect and found what looks like a crack in a spring hanger. (I don't think it was the cause of the bang.) Have read about cracked spring hanger welds on the forum. I bought our used (1 owner, 1 year) 2017 303RLS at a Grand Design dealer in the fall of 2017. Previous owner bought it in the fall of 2016 (Florida). It was like new. We have kept it indoors in a climate controlled storage unit, it saw road salt once last winter on our way to Florida. This year I have about 4k on it. I am guessing it has maybe 15k on it total, including previous owner. Here are some pics of what looks like a crack. Any suggestions? I thought I read that Grand Design has a hanger support kit you can purchase and have welded on? I have no warranty as a second owner. What is interesting is that it looks like the hanger has a crack and not the weld. Open to ideas...(sorry, the pics all loaded sideways, not sure why?)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9724.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	22768Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9720.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	22769Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9725.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	22770Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9726.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	22771
    2015 Dodge Ram 2500; 2017 Reflection Fifth Wheel 303RLS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    I remember reading that Cate & Rob had pointed out (in a previous thread) how the breaks usually occur below the weld itself .
    Something to do with weakening of that 90° angled area after being welded resulting in broken hangers.
    I wouldn't drive on it like that and you should consider yourself fortunate that you found it before a real problem.
    Perhaps a search above will lead you to that thread.
    A LOT of discussion on remedys.

Michael

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Previously known as mikgala

F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat Super Cab LB wt 152K - 25 row Ford tranny cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 high performance Super Chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks

2017 Reflection 307 MKS 9,875 UVW / 12,995 GVWR / 1,605 Pin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Andy+Mo

You definitely have the start of a “classic” hanger fracture. You can see from the rust in the fracture that it has been progressing slowly . . . but, I would not drive any further than the nearest repair facility. My similar story has developed a life of its own with some 37 pages of comments and input, but if you work your way through this thread, you will understand how the hanger should be removed and replaced and how the hangers can be reinforced with what is called a “V clip”. https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...332#post185332

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob - wow, that is quite a thread. I got through about 8 pages (head is spinning a little) and am jumping back to your reply here. I, like probably most would like a long-term solution, for all the hangers, and am thinking I should follow your advice and get a new hanger, and get clips installed on all the others. Our unit is a 2017 and we would like to have it for years. I have no warranty and am in Cleveland, Ohio area. A local RV dealer is recommending a trailer/mfg/service shop for the work. I need to get the components and am wondering if Lippert or Grand Design will stand behind the failure? Want to move on this and will try calling Lippert first I guess. I will see where it goes and update the post.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found a source for cutting off and welding on the new hanger while I am working with Lippert to send me a replacement hanger. When I talked with the customer service person about the V-clip reinforcement component he said that is something I would have to order new through their parts area. I talked to parts and it looks like I need to measure the hanger or find a serial number on the frame. Does any one know of a part number for the v-clip add-on component?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Andy+Mo

The new hanger that you are looking for is a Lippert part as shown in the attached picture (I don't have a PN)

The "V Clip" is simply a piece of 1/4" flat bar, slightly narrower than the hanger inside dimension and bent to 90 degrees.
    The Lippert techs that did mine made them from flat bar . . . I doubt that there is a Lippert PN.
    This "V" is welded down one wall of the hanger and the opposite wall on the other side, plus across each end at the frame.
    This leaves enough hanger "flex" to accommodate narrower spring bushings while still reinforcing both legs of the hanger.
    See second attached picture.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2980.jpg   V Clip.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob, the service person at Lippert needs a number off the frame -- and a dimensional measure which I will grab later today when home -- to get the right hanger. When they fabricated the V-clip is it one-piece? Or did the cut 2-separate pieces and then weld them where they meet inside the hanger. I ask because it seems they would have to be two-pieces in order for each to weld on a different side and leave a gap on the opposite side inside the hanger. Make sense?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The “V” is bent (in a big vice with a hammer ) to have a smooth cold bend radius at the tip of the V. I have also seen pieces of angle iron used . . . but, I would prefer the smooth bend. The flat bar is only about 1/16” narrower than the hanger, so it is twisted very slightly so that it is tight to one wall on one side and tight to the other wall on the other side.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got it - thanks!

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking more carefully just now (and this shows in the picture attached to post 6) the V clip flat bar is about 1/8” narrower than the hanger inside dimension. Part of this is the small gap for weld penetration on the welded side and the rest is the room for hanger flex on the other side.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast