User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Lost a wheel on the way to the campsite.

I have a 2020 Imagine 2400BHS, purchased last fall. Couple of months ago I installed the Morryde CRE3000 suspension system and wet bolts kit. Went camping a couple times at local campsites, no problem.

Couple weekends ago went camping a couple hours away from home. Mostly 4-lane highway driving, some 2-lane highway and some city driving, with about 6km of dirt road to the campsite. Dirt road is narrow and potholed, so I was only going about 20-30km/h then. When we reached the campground, I rolled down my windows to get a better view of the sites, as they were a bit dusty from the dirt road. That's when I noticed the occasional clinging of metal coming from behind, like when the chains hit the ground. But I know my chains aren't that long, so I assumed it didn't come from me, but from some other source. Of course the sound followed me, so I figured I should pull over to see what's going on, and this is what I found:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200619_193218 (1).jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	27742

Lost the forward drivers side wheel somewhere along the way on that dirt road. At least I'm assuming it was there, cause if it lost it on the highway, which was busy, it probably would have hit somebody, or at least somebody would have been honking at me!

At first I thought the bolts and lug nuts had sheared off, but no, the bolts looked fine. The drum itself was fine, just a little scratched up on the edges. The dinging I heard was the metal shield behind the drum hitting the ground whenever I hit a bump on the road. I was able to bend it back in place.

Thankfully I have a full sized spare, was able to mount it, and we continued on to finishing camping that weekend. I did go out to the nearest tire shop to buy an extra spare time and replacement bolts.

I'm assuming what happened was I didn't torque the lugnuts back on properly when I reinstalled the tires, and that one tire eventually worked it's way loose. Of course it took my TireMinder TPMS 40 minutes before it came up with No Sensor error. By that point I had already installed the spare and continued on to the hunt for the campsite.

So yeah, note to self: check the torque on all your lugnuts after service, and again after another 100kms or so.

PS, I called Grand Design to get a quote on a replacement alloy rim, and they are sending me one for free under good will! I also called TireMinder to make sure I ordered the correct replacement tire sensor, as they have a couple different models, and they're sending me one for free as well! So all in all, I've only had to spend money on a new tire, which is alot better than whole new axel, tire, rim, etc!

Drove up and down that dirt road a few times, never found the wheel. I'm assuming it's somewhere down the 20'+ embankment to the river.
    2017 F150 Lariat 3.5 EB
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

retired: 2016 Starcraft 19BHS & 2004 Fleetwood Mesa

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wowsers. You and hopefully someone else got lucky that no one got hurt or any damage occurred.

Lesson learned, I bet you'll be on top of that lug nut torque from now on. Not sure what your practice is, but its recommended to re-check your torque after 50 miles following putting a wheel back on, and use a torque wrench (I know most people dont unfortunately).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always check tire pressure and lug nut torque before each trip. Also check torque on Equalizer Hitch and grease. Never can be to cautious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckskin View Post
    I always check tire pressure and lug nut torque before each trip. Also check torque on Equalizer Hitch and grease. Never can be to cautious.
    I totally agree and practice this with all my trailers. When I worked at a truck accessory and repair shop, next to an RV dealer, I totally lost count how may times I replaced/repaired a lost, loose, or badly damaged wheel due to lugs coming loose.

On a side note, the last time I pulled my 2400, my equalizer hitch head moved. Apparently, the set screw slightly backed out and allowed the head to tilt down lower. It's on my list of things to fix tomorrow before we head out Monday. I watched the dealer torque the hitch head bolts but apparently that wasn't enough.
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Locktight Thread Blocker Blue. Will prevent the screw from moving but can be removed if needed. Same as that blue coating you see on some bolts/nuts. Used it for years.
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tonygoncalves View Post
    I have a 2020 Imagine 2400BHS, purchased last fall. Couple of months ago I installed the Morryde CRE3000 suspension system and wet bolts kit. Went camping a couple times at local campsites, no problem.

Couple weekends ago went camping a couple hours away from home. Mostly 4-lane highway driving, some 2-lane highway and some city driving, with about 6km of dirt road to the campsite. Dirt road is narrow and potholed, so I was only going about 20-30km/h then. When we reached the campground, I rolled down my windows to get a better view of the sites, as they were a bit dusty from the dirt road. That's when I noticed the occasional clinging of metal coming from behind, like when the chains hit the ground. But I know my chains aren't that long, so I assumed it didn't come from me, but from some other source. Of course the sound followed me, so I figured I should pull over to see what's going on, and this is what I found:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200619_193218 (1).jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	27742

Lost the forward drivers side wheel somewhere along the way on that dirt road. At least I'm assuming it was there, cause if it lost it on the highway, which was busy, it probably would have hit somebody, or at least somebody would have been honking at me!

At first I thought the bolts and lug nuts had sheared off, but no, the bolts looked fine. The drum itself was fine, just a little scratched up on the edges. The dinging I heard was the metal shield behind the drum hitting the ground whenever I hit a bump on the road. I was able to bend it back in place.

Thankfully I have a full sized spare, was able to mount it, and we continued on to finishing camping that weekend. I did go out to the nearest tire shop to buy an extra spare time and replacement bolts.

I'm assuming what happened was I didn't torque the lugnuts back on properly when I reinstalled the tires, and that one tire eventually worked it's way loose. Of course it took my TireMinder TPMS 40 minutes before it came up with No Sensor error. By that point I had already installed the spare and continued on to the hunt for the campsite.

So yeah, note to self: check the torque on all your lugnuts after service, and again after another 100kms or so.

PS, I called Grand Design to get a quote on a replacement alloy rim, and they are sending me one for free under good will! I also called TireMinder to make sure I ordered the correct replacement tire sensor, as they have a couple different models, and they're sending me one for free as well! So all in all, I've only had to spend money on a new tire, which is alot better than whole new axel, tire, rim, etc!

Drove up and down that dirt road a few times, never found the wheel. I'm assuming it's somewhere down the 20'+ embankment to the river.
    Yikes ! This does happen every once in a while. Checking lug nut torque is a good thing to do occasionally whether we or someone else does work removing the wheels. Good to hear it was not worse.

Also - nice to hear that GDRV is sending a wheel to you at no charge.......good stuff from GDRV once again !

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide