User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heater for pass through?

Good morning all. We are FTers, and this will be our first winter as such. We will be wintering in the Albuquerque area of New Mexico.

We've read much about preparing for winter living and I think we're going to be ok. We have our heated water hose, and we're prepared with an extra propane tank. But the biggest question is about heating the pass-thru, specifically by the water control system.

My thought is to buy a small ceramic heater, about 200 watts or so, placed near the control system, and set to keep above freezing. We did something similar during the winter for a hot water heater in a 2nd home we owned in the poconos, just to keep it from freezing and not wanting to drain for the winter months.

Are we on the right track? Any suggestions or thought is helpful.

Thanks!!!

Sent from LB's phone using Tapatalk
    Lynette & Steve
    2001 Ford Excursion 4WD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
    Former Owner - 2018 315RLTS Reflection TT

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theburgerts View Post
    Good morning all. We are FTers, and this will be our first winter as such. We will be wintering in the Albuquerque area of New Mexico.

We've read much about preparing for winter living and I think we're going to be ok. We have our heated water hose, and we're prepared with an extra propane tank. But the biggest question is about heating the pass-thru, specifically by the water control system.

My thought is to buy a small ceramic heater, about 200 watts or so, placed near the control system, and set to keep above freezing. We did something similar during the winter for a hot water heater in a 2nd home we owned in the poconos, just to keep it from freezing and not wanting to drain for the winter months.

Are we on the right track? Any suggestions or thought is helpful.

Thanks!!!

This past spring, we brought our trailer home from a storage building, and de-winterized it. Two weeks later, we were hit with a long stretch of overnight lows in the 20s. We weren’t the only ones caught unaware, as we spoke of it here (de-winterized too soon). We did just what you’re proposing-electric ceramic heater in the pass through, aimed at the water control area. We also set the trailer’s thermostat at 58*F. Put a temperature sensor in the pass through to monitor the temps. The pass through stayed a fairly constant 38-40*. We had to leave it there for about a week and a half. Between the two heat sources, nothing froze up. Oh, I also opened all doors/drawers near plumbing. We only had to change propane bottles once. I believe @boyscout in Canada had a longer go of it.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndbb View Post
    opened all doors/drawers
    N
    Agree... that's something we've routinely done, even when we had our house. But it's a good reminder.

Lynette & Steve

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follow up question...
    Does anyone have a recommendation as to what kind of heater might be best to use. I've been searching, but not sure. Ceramic? Oil filled? I'm thinking it should it have a digital thermostat to select a specific temp.

Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks!

Lynette & Steve

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theburgerts View Post
    Follow up question...
    Does anyone have a recommendation as to what kind of heater might be best to use. I've been searching, but not sure. Ceramic? Oil filled? I'm thinking it should it have a digital thermostat to select a specific temp.

Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks!

A couple of things:

Keep in mind that the main furnace heats the basement utility area - as long as that is cycling, you're OK.

We use a small ceramic heater in the basement to supplement whenever the temps go below the mid-20s. It doesn't have a digital thermostat, but I set the manual "thermostat" to cycle on and then back it off just far enough to cycle it off (this is during the daytime when the temps are in the 30s). This way, the heater will cycle on when the temps drop several degrees more.

Be SURE to leave plenty of clearance around the ceramic heater (I leave a couple of feet) with nothing touching it!

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Rob. As is my way, I'm over-analyzing it, and driving myself crazy.
    Lynette & Steve

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    A couple of things:

Keep in mind that the main furnace heats the basement utility area - as long as that is cycling, you're OK.

Rob
    Agree, we have been in sub 30 degree temps with no supplemental heating over and above the furnace without any freezing issues. Should you decide on additional heating why not place a work light with a 60 watt incandescent bulb? I have done that where my lithium batteries are kept and do not receive heat from the furnace and temps never fell below 40 degrees.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spending the winter in our Momentum I have not had to put additional heat in the pass through compartments. There is a heat vent in the water hookup box.

I am a fan of 100 watt light bulbs, no open heat source (aka extremely low probability of combustion). Not that it is a high risk, I just like light bulbs better.

We tried an oil heater but the bumping around during travel got to it and it quit working.

We use a supplemental medium sized room electric heater in the dead of winter.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BB&LAB View Post
    why not place a work light with a 60 watt incandescent bulb?
    Oooh, hadn't thought of that. Something for us to look into as well.

Again, I know I'm over analyzing. I just don't know how much the pass-thru gets heated from the furnace. I didn't think our model, the 315 TT, had any ability to have that area get any kind of residual heat. So. I'm just trying to figure out ways to ensure the water control system isn't affected by any freezing conditions.

Appreciate all the information and suggestions!!

Lynette & Steve

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We installed this in the basement area as near as we could get to the kitchen pipes where we have freezing problems in cold weather. It is made for boats and has a thermostat.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2016 Reflection 303RLS
    Bedford County, VA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast