User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GM Announces New EV Pickup For 2022 !!!

As part of the current UAW contract negotiations with GM, GM has offered to build a New Electric Pickup at it's Hamtramck Assembly plant in Detroit.

While there are no specifications (or Video showing the GM EV Truck pulling a Train) for the New Electric GM Pickup available, it is encouraging to know that GM has not been totally ignoring the inevitable shift to Electric Vehicles and EV Pickups in particular. The fact that they are planning for production in 2021 and a 2022 model year Pickup Truck means that EV Pickups will be a reality within the next few years.

I also think it is worth noting that Rivian will be producing 100,000 Electric Delivery Vans for Amazon over the next ten years, with deliveries beginning late next year. This indicates that EV Light Duty Trucks are ready for the "real World" and the shift has begun...
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I imagine the 1/2 Ton electric trucks will be suitable for the yuppies that use them as status symbols. I don't think that people that use them for truck purposes will be making the switch any time soon. Especially if you are hauling a 16K lb trailer around.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyBell View Post
    I imagine the 1/2 Ton electric trucks will be suitable for the yuppies that use them as status symbols. I don't think that people that use them for truck purposes will be making the switch any time soon. Especially if you are hauling a 16K lb trailer around.
    I disagree, If you read the post "Electric Trucks Are Getting More and More Realistic Everyday"...

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...888#post258888

You will find that one company (Atlis) has announced an Electric Pickup with 35k towing capacity and a 500 mile range. Both of those numbers exceed the capabilities of my 2019 F350 Dually. I doubt that either Tesla or Ford will produce trucks with lesser specifications.

If you consider that Electric Vehicles are capable of turning 90% of their electrical energy into kinetic energy to move the EV down the road, and a Fossil Fuel Vehicle can only turn 20% of their energy into kinetic energy, the EV should also be able to tow more miles on a fully charged battery, then an equivalent Fossil Fuel Vehicle can on a full tank of fuel. This will result in Electric Pickups being so much cheaper to operate, that they could actually pay for themselves over their lifetimes.

Additionally, with improvements in battery chemistries, the time it takes to charge an EV battery is getting quicker, so, by the time you stretch your legs and get a bite to eat on your stops, your battery will have recharged to the 80% mark and you will have another 300 to 350 miles of range added for your continued trip.

I think that Electric Pickups, and even Electric Semi's, will be very much in demand when they arrive on the market in the next couple of years. I especially think the market for Electric Semi's and other heavy duty trucks will be amazing due to the economics of operating a Fossil Fuel Truck versus an Electric Truck (DHL has stated over 60% reduced operating costs for an Electric Truck fleet vs Petrol).
    Last edited by SolarPoweredRV; 09-26-2019 at 08:50 AM.
    David and Peggy
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    I disagree, If you read the post "Electric Trucks Are Getting More and More Realistic Everyday"...

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...888#post258888

You will find that one company (Atlis) has announced an Electric Pickup with 35k towing capacity and a 500 mile range. Both of those numbers exceed the capabilities of my 2019 F350 Dually. I doubt that either Tesla or Ford will produce trucks with lesser specifications.

If you consider that Electric Vehicles are capable of turning 90% of their electrical energy into kinetic energy to move the EV down the road, and a Fossil Fuel Vehicle can only turn 20% of their energy into kinetic energy, the EV should also be able to tow more miles on a fully charged battery, then an equivalent Fossil Fuel Vehicle can on a full tank of fuel. This will result in Electric Pickups being so much cheaper to operate, that they could actually pay for themselves over their lifetimes.

Additionally, with improvements in battery chemistries, the time it takes to charge an EV battery is getting quicker, so, by the time you stretch your legs and get a bite to eat on your stops, your battery will have recharged to the 80% mark and you will have another 300 to 350 miles of range added for your continued trip.

I think that Electric Pickups, and even Electric Semi's, will be very much in demand when they arrive on the market in the next couple of years. I especially think the market for Electric Semi's and other heavy duty trucks will be amazing due to the economics of operating a Fossil Fuel Truck versus an Electric Truck (DHL has stated over 60% reduced operating costs for an Electric Truck fleet vs Petrol).

I don't mean to sound like a Debbie downer but I'm filing this under "I'll believe it when I see it". At least as a viable heavy trailer pulling option for normal consumers. The Commercial semi option could be closer as they could be used on dedicated routes with their own charging networks where needed. Camping in less populated areas with limited charging options will restrict it for the camping masses. I'd love to see a electric HD truck with realistic range and capacity. Talk about torque! But they even say right on that page that its "Far from reality and its not even fully funded yet" so a 2020 launch seem optimistic at best.

The info on their own website is misleading.: A 35,000 GCWR is not the same as a 35,000 towing capacity. And UP TO 500 range means to me the largest battery pack with the lightest package. And it also states "unloaded with no cargo or trailer weights" How much does that go down with 16K behind the truck, 4K in the bed, and the family and the dog loaded up pulling a billboard down the road at 70MPH?? Every EV I have seen seems to be very aero dynamic I would assume to increase the range.

Using Tesla as the bench mark since they been doing it the longest and have developed actual real superchargers that are being used in the real world. Though I have yet to see one and I live in the suburbs of Chicago. But to be fare, I'm not looking either. I'm sure they are around. Going from a model s to x using the same battery pack drops your max range from 370 to 325. How big a battery does this truck need to take an even bigger and heavier vehicle to a 500 mile range? Not to mention that max battery capacity shrinks as its used.

Motor Trend did a test using a brand new tesla model 3 and their latest V3 250KWH super charger. Taking a model 3 from 10% to 90% took 41 minutes where they stopped as a full charge was still 34 mins away. Those fast chargers slow down as they charge to protect the battery. And the model 3 has a smaller battery than the s or x. Can't find much on other charging options since I'm sure its very dependent on the quality of the supply but I did see somewhere 10+ hours to charge an S using a dedicated 240v circuit and 3 miles per hour on a 110v circuit.

I sure sound like I'm crapping on EV trucks but I just don't see a real world version and infrastructure to make it a reasonable option anytime in the near future. If I'm wrong, I'll be in line early to jump on board. That Atlis looks fantastic and the extra storage in the front "trunk" would be awesome.

YMMV
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow Check out this link from that page. The fyre festival debacle comes to mind:

https://insideevs.com/news/341993/ri...lis-xt-is-not/

Sounds very pie in the sky and not based on reality. The company was formed in 2016, has about 6 employees, hasn't even built a prototype, all those pics are digitally produced.

That sucks, it really is a nice looking truck. May be a nice start if it ever gets built.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Electric vehicles are great, can't wait until there are a million on the road here. Inevitably that will mean cheaper fuel prices for those still needing gas or diesel.
    2019 Reflection 312BHTS TT Sold

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
    Electric vehicles are great, can't wait until there are a million on the road here. Inevitably that will mean cheaper fuel prices for those still needing gas or diesel.
    And a huge new industry trying to remediate the heavy metals in old batteries. I can't wait because we currently handle our landfills so well right now.

Just think about how cool it will be when we have millions of dead batteries a year to deal with. And how are we going to produce all of that electric energy to charge our cars and the grid to support it to basically every home? Ain't it grand?
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JColeman View Post
    And a huge new industry trying to remediate the heavy metals in old batteries. I can't wait because we currently handle our landfills so well right now.

Just think about how cool it will be when we have millions of dead batteries a year to deal with. And how are we going to produce all of that electric energy to charge our cars and the grid to support it to basically every home? Ain't it grand?
    You bring up some valid concerns, however, most of your concerns have been addressed...

Let me explain:

With respect to used EV batteries; EV batteries can be used for Energy Storage after they are no longer useful in an EV. Several manufacturers have started programs to use the old batteries for "On Grid" electric storage, thereby extending their useful life another ten (or more) years beyond the life of the EV they were originally installed in. Additionally, the manufacturers are addressing the end-of-life issue by manufacturing batteries that can be recycled. EV batteries can be recycled and battery recyclers are already beginning operations to handle old EV batteries. One interesting fact: 99% of the Lead Acid Batteries that we currently use in our cars are being recycled, so, successful recycling is possible.

With regard to charging the EVs: currently, 90% of EV charging happens at home, overnight, you simply pull into the driveway and plug in your EV and the next morning you start your day with a full battery. Because most EV charging happens overnight when, there is less electrical demand, there is very little strain placed on the electric grid. Overnight, there is excess capacity on the grid because people are asleep and businesses are closed, this is when EVs can be charged without adding strain on the grid or needing extra power stations just to charge the high number of EVs that are anticipated. Even at high EV usage rates studies have shown that the electrical grid can handle the EV charging that is coming.

By-the-way, EVs can be programmed to start charging late at night so they don't place an undue strain on the Electrical Grid.
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where do you think all this extra electrical supply needed to recharge these batteries will come from ? Electric powered vehciles might be just the ticket for local delivery outfits or Papa John's but as far as over the road truckers or even RV'ers it'll never sell.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    Where do you think all this extra electrical supply needed to recharge these batteries will come from ? Electric powered vehciles might be just the ticket for local delivery outfits or Papa John's but as far as over the road truckers or even RV'ers it'll never sell.
    I agree on the RV's. A build out of a super charging infrastructure required in the more remote areas just doesn't seem reasonable. Heck I've been in area's where I start looking for diesel after I cross under a half a tank. And overnight charging isn't going to be feasible without a major upgrade in campground systems. According to the site I found even with a 240v outlet it takes over 10 hours to charge a Tesla. The batteries required for suitable range for a truck pulling an RV will take significantly longer than that. Forget about 110v charging.

But for some OTR I could see some opportunities. Especially the UPS/Fed ex's. trucks on dedicated routes between set hubs where either they could recharge at the hub or set places between hubs. I think thats a possibility. Independents running misc routes across the country not so much. They would have the same problem as RV's. limited routes based on charging. The only feasible charging for something that big would have to be super chargers

The Grid will need to be updated regardless if electric take off or not. Its not like the country is getting smaller.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast