User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Winterize, or not, or how late - revisited

I searched "winterize" - but only made it through 7 pages of results/topics.

We're in southeast Virginia, at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. Virginia Beach can have, randomly, 72* Christmas and New Years, and in many cases may never get much colder than 37*. The 2670 features "extended season camping" and has the "four season protection package." We have a 50A dedicated outlet and will be on shore power all "winter."

We'd like to be able to run away for a weekend and camp.

If I'm on shore power, am I ok? Or do I need to run the furnace (propane) too? Or just pump it full of antifreeze and wait until April?

Still on the learning curve,
    Scott
    Scott & Fonda
    2015 F-250 SuperCrew SRW, 6.7L TD
    2020 Imagine 2670MK.........Equal-i-zer 1400#
    Kayaks: Perception Expression 11.5 and Carolina 12
    Bikes: Specialized S-works Amira, Felt Z95, DelSol Lxi 6.1, Electra Townie
    Virginia Beach

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After owning several RVs in central Alberta for over 30 years, I don’t worry about winterizing until nighttime temps get down to -10C (14F) consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpyknee View Post
    I searched "winterize" - but only made it through 7 pages of results/topics.

We're in southeast Virginia, at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. Virginia Beach can have, randomly, 72* Christmas and New Years, and in many cases may never get much colder than 37*. The 2670 features "extended season camping" and has the "four season protection package." We have a 50A dedicated outlet and will be on shore power all "winter."

We'd like to be able to run away for a weekend and camp.

If I'm on shore power, am I ok? Or do I need to run the furnace (propane) too? Or just pump it full of antifreeze and wait until April?

Still on the learning curve,
    Scott
    Last edited by Bungy; 09-24-2019 at 03:01 PM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have never pushed the cold weather to get to that point of being too late. We do however winterize when we see the temps are going to be below 30 and stay there even during the day for an extended period. If it's only going down to about 30 but warm up the next day I didn't worry. Marcy on the other hand. She was right though, why push it when we knew we would have to do it here in Michigan, regardless. In your case myself I think I would wait so as to be able to use the trailer. I would keep a good eye on the weather though. If I saw a bad cold forecast coming then I would winterize.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For our 303 winterizing takes about 30 minutes tops. We do not winterize until the forecast shows temps below freezing.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We live in Virginia and camp all winter which just happens to be our favorite time. We winterize the camper each time we get home. My husband has it down to a fine art using about 1 1/2 gallons and 15 minutes. Don't be scared
    2016 Reflection 303RLS
    Bedford County, VA

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also don't be scared to flip it over to propane and set the furnace to 45 degrees for a couple nights if you get cold spell. It will do fine.

Jim
    2019 F350 6.7L PS SRW CCSB Platinum
    2021 28BH with theater seating and 2nd AC
    2019 Imagine 2400BH w/solar (sold)
    https://rolling.howardweb.info/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it is going to drop to 32 I will blow out the lines with air (most hardware stores carry a fitting that can be used for this). If it looks like it is going to get into the low twenties, I will add antifreeze. I always add antifreeze to the "P" traps. Also, I always use the low point drains and drain the fresh water tank even if it is not going to freeze because I do not like to leave water in the system.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Noble View Post
    If it is going to drop to 32 I will blow out the lines with air (most hardware stores carry a fitting that can be used for this). If it looks like it is going to get into the low twenties, I will add antifreeze. I always add antifreeze to the "P" traps. Also, I always use the low point drains and drain the fresh water tank even if it is not going to freeze because I do not like to leave water in the system.
    What about the hot water heater? If on shore power, water heater on, is it ok to not drain it if you're putting antifreeze in your lines and/or P traps as a precaution in the event of a freeze?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tjndsa View Post
    What about the hot water heater? If on shore power, water heater on, is it ok to not drain it if you're putting antifreeze in your lines and/or P traps as a precaution in the event of a freeze?
    You can't leave the hot water heater on and put antifreeze in the system without it going to the HW heater. The system will not allow you to do that (if you have the Nautilus system anyway) If your going to add antifreeze just turn it off, empty the tank, and then turn all of the knobs to the winterize position.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a 30 AMP power supply, drain your tanks, add 1 gallon anti-freeze to each, pull the slide in, open cabinet doors, and plug in a oil filled radiator heater with a thermostat. Set that heater at the lowest setting, then set the gas furnace a few degrees warmer. Leave your fresh water tank near full as it will act as a heat sink. We bought our class C January 2017 and for the rest of the winter I fretted over it and it was a learning experience. The next winter, it was left wet as I described above with no problems. Last winter I did the same with the exception of adding foam board panels to separate the cab and living area. During that hard freeze we had (and you too) we spent over 143 consecutive hours below freezing with lows near zero and highs in low-mid 20's. Working nights, I checked the coach while the dogs were out running and the lowest temp in the coach was the inside connection for the outside shower @ 32. The interior temp stayed near 50.

But now that I have spilled all that out and looked at your 10 day forecast, almost everything I just said is overkill. They have you for two nites at 28 with highs of 38-38. Drain the waste tanks, a little antifreeze in both just to protect the rubber seals on the blades, and run the gas furnace on lowest setting at nite. The reason I suggest the radiator heater over the fireplace is the that fireplace blows the air an a direction that may not be the best, but the other will heat evenly.

I do believe I am going to experiment this weekend with the radiator heater in the pass thru on low just to see if I feel any difference inside. I know that it is open from the storage to under the big TV, plus it may warm the bedroom and bathroom floors a little bit.
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast