Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2020 Grand Design 315RLTS vs 2020.5 Jayco Eagle 330RLTS

Guys,

I wanted to pass along my observations from the Hershey RV show between these two trailers. I was all set to order a 2020 315 rlts until I looked at the "2020.5" Jayco Eagle 330 RSTS at the Hershey RV show.

I may still go with the 315, but I must say the mid year updates the the Jayco really make for a nice trailer. In general, I never much cared for Jayco units, particularly the Jay flight and Whitehawk lines. I've liked Eagle travel trailers better, but couldn't get past the small or nonexistent pass-through storage and the space for only one battery.

This has changed drastically on the latest 2020 Eagle refresh with the addition of a huge tray in the front behind the propane bottles that could probably hold 6 or 8 batteries or 2-4 batteries and a small generator. Also, a huge pass through storage was added that probably measures 3 feet high and wide. Here are some of the things I noticed about the Eagle that are not available on our GD models:

Goodyear Endurance tires
    MORyde CRE 3000 Suspension
    Shock absorber prep
    12" frame vs 10" on 315
    MORyde steps
    7'3" ceilings and 6'6" slide height
    electronic leveling(optional)
    Huge front storage tray
    Generator prep (option) not sure all what this entails yet
    13.5 cu ft 2-way fridge or optional residential fridge
    Huge bath with residential 60" shower and large vanity (nicest bath I've seen in a travel trailer)
    Frameless windows
    LED tail lamps and marker lights
    Jay-Smart lighting which flashes the red upper marker lights when you first apply the brakes and amber markers that also flash with turn signals
    75 gal fresh water
    97.5 usable grey with addition of a knife valve
    32.5 black (this is less than on 315)
    Factory installed brackets for slide toppers making DIY easy or cheap from dealer, or something like $675 for all 3 toppers from the factory!
    Wisper-Quiet AC in mail living area (its pretty quiet)
    Thetford Sanicon (option)
    LCI touchpanel
    Also I really like the light, almost white colored cabinets, and trim in the Farmhouse decor

She's a tall, heavy, and long box car though: 11995 GVW, 39'4" long, 5800lb axles.

Going back in forth between the 315 and the 330 the wife and I really liked the Jayco better. I was surprised and impressed. My decision may come down to price though. I can get a well optioned 315 for high 30's (before tax and tags), while it looks like the 330 will run mid 40's.

Observations, thoughts?
    Last edited by Trailmaster; 09-24-2019 at 06:09 PM.
    Steve and Barb - Delaware
    2021 Solitude S-class 2930rl, solar package, slide toppers, dual panes
    2019 F250 6.2L 3170 payload sticker Reece Goosebox 20K B&W turnover-ball
    2017 Flagstaff 23IKSS Hybrid, 6700 GVW (sold)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have 3,500 miles and 101 days on our 2018 315RLTS TT and love it. No problems. We've had Forest River Wildwood and Keystone Cougar but our Reflection is the best.
    2018 Reflection TT 315RLTS
    2014 F250 Crew Cab, Short Bed, 6.7 Diesel, 4x4
    50 gallon Titan fuel tank
    2007 Shelby GT Mustang

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The jayco does have some nice features, but our 315 looks a lot better and has more inside storage. Also all those extras on the jayco really add up. Only 1000lbs ccc. Add in dual pane windows like we have and it will be down to 600lb-700lb ccc.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would take a really long, hard look at the Jayco. I have had many issues with my GD, some I consider ridiculous. Like a door installed that had a cracked jamb and trim plus didn't close properly. Or the shower enclosure that is actually pulling away from the walls causing gaps at the top where there is a good possibility of water intrusion and the door track leaked. Or the slide carpet that is crooked by 1 1/2" front to back. Many more- like I said consider your options.
    2019 Reflection 312BHTS TT Sold

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently faced this same choice. We owned a 2015 Jayco Eagle 306RKDS for 5.5 years and loved it. We decided to upgrade to a TT with a bedroom slide and the Eagle 330RSTS was our first choice. While I agree with many of Trailmaster's observations, some things have changed recently. GD is now using Goodyear E-rated tires (presumably Endurance), and, according to my salesman, have included the MORyde suspension beginning with 2021 models. The MORyde Step Above entry steps on the Eagle were actually a concern for us, due to space limitations in our storage location. The aluminum entry steps on the GD actually work better for us. I do wish GD would offer the LCI Ground Control leveling system. In fact we asked the factory to add it, as well as slide toppers, to our ordered unit, but they refused. The holding tank capacities actually favor GD with 118 gal of gray (using the knife valve to gain access to the gray tank dedicated to the washer) vs 97.5 in the Eagle and the 43 gal black tank in GD vs the Eagle's 32.5. The 15 gal fresh water difference doesn't affect us since we never dry-camp. The Sanicon wasn't of interest to me and I actually prefer mechanical switches to the electronic touch panel as many of our friends have had issues with them.

Additionally, my "wish list" includes an outside exhaust on the microwave (rather that recirculating) and a MaxxAir fan in the bath (in fact they could just move the one from the kitchen to the bath if the microwave had a true exhaust).

The deciding factor for us was the CCC. The as-built UVW of the Eagle we saw was 11,021 leaving only 974 of CCC vs the Reflection as-built UVW of 9,724 leaving 1,571 of CCC. I wasn't comfortable with 974 and the extra 600 lbs gives us more breathing room.

Our 2021 315RLTS is due to arrive in two weeks!