User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starburst Crack in Fiberglass

Looking for some advice about a very small crack in the outside skin of the door of my 2250RK (at the bottom of the attached photo). I needed to reposition the bracket on the inside of the door that catches the screen door latch. So I drilled a couple of new holes on the inside of the door so I could reposition the screws. Well, I wasn't very careful when drilling the first hole, so when the bit penetrated the inside of the door it went on through and hit the inside of the fiberglass skin with just enough force to make the crack. Yikes, I was mortified! I don't know if I should be concerned about the crack in its present state, or if it will be prone to spreading/getting worse over time with travel (like a starburst on a car windshield). Can this be easily repaired? Should I trust the dealer to repair it, or could anyone recommend a type of repair shop to go to?

Thanks!
    Jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fiberglass starburst crack.jpg  
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    2016 RAM 1500 Big Horn 4x4 Hemi Crew Cab Short Box 3.92
    Andersen Weight Distribution Hitch

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jon, Judging from the size of the damage in relationship to the lock, it looks to be about the size of a pencil eraser. My first thought would be to clean it real good to remove any wax, etc., then apply a small amount of 2 part clear epoxy with like a Q-tip just to cover the cracks and call it good. If you work the epoxy with a circular motion into the cracks it should fill the cracks and provide a permanent seal. Then if necessary you could put a dab of touch-up paint. And don't sweat it, we all have our OOP's'es...

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John,

Thanks for the advice and thank you for your distinguished service in the USAF.

Yes, your assessment of the of the damage is correct. One thing I failed to mention is that the starburst protrudes out a tiny bit. In other words, when rubbing my finger over it I feel a slight bulge. So I don't know if that will increase the chances of it getting worse over time. But I think your suggestion is probably the best and lowest cost thing to do for now. Hopefully the epoxy will both seal it and prevent any cracks from spreading, and I'll keep an eye on it just in case. It is so small and the cracks are so fine that it is really difficult to see with the naked eye (at least MY naked eye), so I doubt any touch-up paint will be needed.

Thanks again!

Jon
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    2016 RAM 1500 Big Horn 4x4 Hemi Crew Cab Short Box 3.92
    Andersen Weight Distribution Hitch