User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did you get the pump out? The sink seems to be in the way.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did get the pump out but it was not easy. The screws holding the box in place were very hard to get to. Water line and electrical wires were permanently attached and to sort to pull the pump out for cleaning. Cut and attached a screw together connection to the water line and a plug in to the electric wires. Used straps to hold it in place instead of screws.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210820_103533.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	36219
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20210820_103542.jpg  

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, We would not have bought this unit if we would have known about the sump pump. We had to cut the electrical and water line and had connections to be able to remove the entire pump on a regular basis for cleaning out. The lines are too short to allow you to get it out. A major inconvenience that we have not had with other brands. Grand Design said they are working on fixing it in the future but can not help the ones who have it now. Check out where it is located before purchasing. We are disappointed.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do want people to know that Christine Holland, a customer relations person from Grand Design, really tries to help you out with your issues. She listens and responds quickly. Some issues are out of her power to correct, but will do what she can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My sump pump stopped working on a trip this past weekend and water ran out the vent hole under the cabinet. I called the dealer and I am supposed to take it in next week but they also told me that there is an 8-10 week delay due to parts shortages. My trailer kitchen is not usable as is. This design is a really bad afterthought idea. I'll try to clean the pump and get it working. A drain line on the vent seems like a good idea to keep the overflow water from filling the cabinet. Calling GD sounds like a good idea to get a part sooner.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Call Christine Howard at grand design and let her know. See what she will do for you. At least they will know how many people are having problems. Did you see the pictures I posted on how we set it up to allow for getting it out easier? When you get it out, it may not be the pump but the screen stopped up....hopefully.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops. That is Christine Holland.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A NOT SO Grand Design:

Put kitchen sink on a slide, requiring flexible pipe to deal with movement, install sump pump to get the sink to drain. Release this hash without adequate testing....

And it doesn't work???
    Well.... DUH! Who would have thought?
    And so we get yet another ridiculous incident about laughable RV quality...
    Because... only in RV land do we build complicated things without standardization, testing or quality control.

Stupid. Stupid.
    Doug, Patti and our puppy Leo are from upstate NY.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grand ReDesign....

I have a 2021 23BHE and I have now had the sump get plugged and overflow twice. It certainly puts quite the damper on the weekend. This is the only issue and part of this camper I dislike - and frankly I love the floorplan and fact we can travel and have full access and functionality with the slide in. So I went to work to move the pump to a more serviceable location so I can clean the screen regularly and also take the pump and box out easily enough. Here is my grand redesign....

Under the counter top extension I removed the end panel that is held in with 4 short screws. There was plenty of room to build a 10"x17" shelf out of PVC trim.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6406.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	36538

I removed the pump and pedestal it sat on gaining more floor space for storage. I added a short 3/4" inner diameter hose with a 3/4" coupling and drilled a hole for the sink drain.

Name:	IMG_6437.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	36539

I cut and extended the power feed to the sump adding some quick disconnects for future servicing. The drain works perfectly with the short addition.

Name:	IMG_6434.jpeg 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	36540

With this setup the drain hose from the sump box to the tank has plenty of slack to account for the operation of the slide. I can also remove the top cover and clean the screen and sump without removing any screws or hoses.

Name:	IMG_6436.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	36541

In the future I think I'll add a small tub to the vent/overflow running to a small container underneath with a 12v overflow alarm. In all of this I did contemplate just removing the sump box to see if gravity would do the trick, but I am pretty sure the sump pump has a check valve which prevents gases from coming back, and without a trap I went this route.

Here’s a link to roughly the same part on Amazon that describes the pump:

SEAFLO 12V DC Shower Sump Pump System 750 GPH 2.5A Bilge Pump for Boat Caravan https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G3KDS0E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_M0QBP3XJ0APQM9GY402G?_ encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by Dadeo6472 View Post
    A NOT SO Grand Design:

Put kitchen sink on a slide, requiring flexible pipe to deal with movement, install sump pump to get the sink to drain. Release this hash without adequate testing....

And it doesn't work???
    Well.... DUH! Who would have thought?
    And so we get yet another ridiculous incident about laughable RV quality...
    Because... only in RV land do we build complicated things without standardization, testing or quality control.

Stupid. Stupid.
    Last edited by apgagnon; 09-08-2021 at 02:31 PM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks like a good idea also. Thanks.
    Did you call Grand Design to let them know you had a problem? Eventually they may have a recall for us if enough people let them know.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast