User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't called Grand Design as I kind of viewed it as a maintenance issue.....albeit undocumented in the manual. In my case grease and food particles eventually plugged the screen and/or the float switch in the pump. My logic for just tackling this is as follows:

My labor involved moving the sump ~ 2 hours (lets say for fun I am billable @ $75/hr) ~ $150
    Materials involved to move the pump ~ $30 (I only actually spent $10 because I had the pvc trim left over)
    So I figure roughly $180 to just take care of it - in reality on $10 was spent out of pocket.

For context I live in Maine, camping season for me even stretched is May - October, and my nearest dealer is an hour and 10 minutes or 71 miles one way.
    My time to call Grand Design, schedule with the dealer eventually, drive the camper there, and drive back to pick it up ~ 6 hours (lets say for fun I am billable @ $75/hr) ~ $450
    Gas for an average of 8mpg hauling the camper @$3 gallon for 142 mile round trip ~ $53.25
    Gas for an average of 20mpg without the camper @$3 gallon for 142 mile round trip ~ $21.30
    Time without the camper as the wait for service is normally long.....priceless.

Sure, I could call, but I'd really only be interested in a fix that either eliminated the need for a pump (I'm not sure why they didn't use a standard trap to prevent backflow of tank gas), or added a grease trap/strainer in a convenient spot under the sink. Otherwise I'm happy with the free'd up space under the sink area (although a matching panel across the back to cover the wires would be nice), the ability to service the screen and pump, and the fact I'll be back on the road later this afternoon for a great weekend of camping.
    Last edited by apgagnon; 09-10-2021 at 12:53 PM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, I called because it is a poor design. Our trailer is new and do not feel we should be putting time and any money on a design flaw. I called so they would understand it is a big sign flaw. If I ever sell my unit , it would make things more difficult. It would be nice if,the engineers would have done things the way you did. Not everyone is as handy as you or my husband. I would hate to see them having to bring their unit to a shop to have it fixed every time it stopped up. It appears it stops up regularly if you do not clean it.
    I love the floor plan and the overall trailer but would have liked to be informed of the maintenance involved.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I called for the same reason you did. It is not to put it in a shop to get fixed. Ours is a over a hour away also. It is for Grand Design to be aware a implement a permanent fix like you described.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagine 21BHE Ridiculous Sump Pump

Quote Originally Posted by gillpg View Post
    Call Christine Howard at grand design and let her know. See what she will do for you. At least they will know how many people are having problems. Did you see the pictures I posted on how we set it up to allow for getting it out easier? When you get it out, it may not be the pump but the screen stopped up....hopefully.
    Thanks for the information. I'm supposed to take the RV to the dealer 9/22. I think I'll leave it alone until then so they can see what a mess it is and then work on another plan after that because I think they are going to just say oh well we can work on it in November which is after my next trip.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope your dealership is faster then ours. After almost 2 months and calling daily, we finally got it back. Wish you luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will say that we are extra careful about not putting food particles down the drain. It’s the grease that seems to have plugged the screen and coated the float switch twice for us. At this point I’m resigned to checking the screen monthly but I am curious why they didn’t just use a trap and gravity to reduce the complexity. There is more than enough slope to do so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just came back camping with our 23BHE. So I did some mods previously with the re-location of the sump pump and the white box to a more convenient spot just like what you did. It worked for a while, however, the pump has now stopped working completely and overflowed once again. Did the quick fix and just by-pass the box itself and connect directly to the drain pipe from the sink drain. The only thing is to guide the hose upwards to let the water flow through properly. Not sure if I should just leave it the way it is or replace the sump pump and re-connect the box as I do not see the purpose of this set-up. Any opinions on this?
    Last edited by IROCQUE; 08-29-2022 at 01:59 PM.
    2020 Grand Design Imagine XLS 23BHE
    2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 RST 6.2 liter max trailer pkg.
    Fastway Trunnion E2 2-Point Sway Control Hitch
    Markham, Ontario Canada

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bypass solution

I'm the latest Imagine XLS 23BHE owner with kitchen drain woes. Am trying to decide whether to re-locate the sump pump as some have suggested, to make it more accessible for cleaning, or to bypass it like Irocque has done. Has the bypass solution worked for any of you?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AllenDD View Post
    I'm the latest Imagine XLS 23BHE owner with kitchen drain woes. Am trying to decide whether to re-locate the sump pump as some have suggested, to make it more accessible for cleaning, or to bypass it like Irocque has done. Has the bypass solution worked for any of you?
    Just wanted to welcome you to the forum@AllenDD, I don't have that coach so can't help with the drainage issue. Hope you're enjoying the Imagine overall.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AllenDD View Post
    So far so good, haven't had any issues as of yet however haven't been using it since the last camping trip. But I bought a new pump from Amazon $29 Cdn. and deep cleaned the box, I'm going to put it back on the new location and give it another try. But this time, I'll increase the frequency of the cleaning and see how it goes. Once again, the by-pass is working fine for now but there must be a valid reason why Grand Design went with this set-up with the pump. Does anyone know?
    2020 Grand Design Imagine XLS 23BHE
    2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 RST 6.2 liter max trailer pkg.
    Fastway Trunnion E2 2-Point Sway Control Hitch
    Markham, Ontario Canada

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234