Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generator not communicating

My son took the RV out last weekend and had trouble with the generator. It ran fine but wasn’t communicating with the Rv. He could never get anything to work in the camper using the generator. Is there something that needs to be reset, replaced, etc. it is the 5500 gasoline generator that comes on the Momentum toy hauler. It was working great last month when we did the monthly procedure of letting it run with the A/c on.
    2018 Momentum 397TH
    2017 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn Mega Cab 4x4 DRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel 3.73 AISIN
    B&W Companion

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you check if the generator output breakers were shut? They are under the generator front panel.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FT4NOW; 09-25-2019 at 09:14 PM.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Did you check if the generator output breakers were shut? They are under the generator front panel.

Yes, the two breakers are flipped on.

Thanks
    Steve
    2018 Momentum 397TH
    B&W Companion

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only other thought is something going on with the auto transfer switch. They have been known to stick.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only other thought is something going on with the auto transfer switch. They have been known to stick.

Is the switch in the basement behind the wall? Is there a trick to unstick it or does it have to be replaced? Is there a fuse in the switch? Sorry, I don’t know anything about this. I appreciate your time and help.

Steve
    2018 Momentum 397TH
    B&W Companion

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes in the basement, behind the false wall. Best bet is to disconnect from shore power and keep generator off. Pop the top off the transfer switch and you will see spring contacts, they should move freely without any power applied. If you are safe working on energized gear and have a meter you can turn the generator on after while the cover is still off and measure the power and see if the contacts close. This is very dangerous if youre not careful as there are exposed 120v wires, so use your own judgement on that part of it.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes in the basement, behind the false wall. Best bet is to disconnect from shore power and keep generator off. Pop the top off the transfer switch and you will see spring contacts, they should move freely without any power applied. If you are safe working on energized gear and have a meter you can turn the generator on after while the cover is still off and measure the power and see if the contacts close. This is very dangerous if youre not careful as there are exposed 120v wires, so use your own judgement on that part of it.

Ok, I will see if I can get someone with more knowledge then me to help me with this! I can do the first part myself but
    I would need someone else with the last part.
    Thanks
    2018 Momentum 397TH
    B&W Companion

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thing to try is unhook from shore power and the rehook. My Solitude has the propane Onan and I hear a distinctive clunk or click from the transfer switch when I plug it in. If on shore power and I start the generator you will hear the clunk again. Might be one way to tell if it's working.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    Another thing to try is unhook from shore power and the rehook. My Solitude has the propane Onan and I hear a distinctive clunk or click from the transfer switch when I plug it in. If on shore power and I start the generator you will hear the clunk again. Might be one way to tell if it's working.
    Thanks, will try this. We tried it on shore power then without shore power but didn’t try it when it was back on shore power.
    2018 Momentum 397TH
    B&W Companion