User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: F350 or not?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your link didn't work for me but I was able to copy and paste it in my browser. That hitch seems correct if the truck you are looking at doesn't have the factory gooseneck/fifth wheel prep package.

Whether a manual slider is the best option is up to you. It was for me and it is the hitch I have and would buy again. You may want to do some searches on auto sliders, manual sliders and light weight hitches like the Anderson. Lots of information and opinions on this forum and pluses and minuses for each type. Too much for me to post here.

Personally I wouldn't worry with replacing your kingpin yet. I don't get any chucking (fore and aft movement) and the ride is quite smooth. I occasionally feel a little bounce from the trailer bouncing the truck but nothing harsh or often. My helper spring on the F350 is about 1/2 inch off the stop when at rest so the spring is unloaded. I think any bounce could be just the spring rebounding off the stop when going over a bump etc. My truck rides smoother when towing a trailer then when not towing. Good luck.
    2019 303RLS Reflection 5th Wheel
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 CC/SB/SRW 6.7L Diesel
    B&W Companion Slider Hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
    Your link didn't work for me but I was able to copy and paste it in my browser. That hitch seems correct if the truck you are looking at doesn't have the factory gooseneck/fifth wheel prep package.

Whether a manual slider is the best option is up to you. It was for me and it is the hitch I have and would buy again. You may want to do some searches on auto sliders, manual sliders and light weight hitches like the Anderson. Lots of information and opinions on this forum and pluses and minuses for each type. Too much for me to post here.

Personally I wouldn't worry with replacing your kingpin yet. I don't get any chucking (fore and aft movement) and the ride is quite smooth. I occasionally feel a little bounce from the trailer bouncing the truck but nothing harsh or often. My helper spring on the F350 is about 1/2 inch off the stop when at rest so the spring is unloaded. I think any bounce could be just the spring rebounding off the stop when going over a bump etc. My truck rides smoother when towing a trailer then when not towing. Good luck.
    Ah ok thanks. This truck does have the 5th wheel prep, so that may save me a little on the hitch itself.

That's good info on the kingpin. I'll leave it alone until we do some trips and determine if an upgrade is necessary.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went from my 2016 Nissan Titan XD diesel up to the F350 DRW. At the time I bought the Titan, all I was towing was a 5,500 lb boat. I never in my wildest dreams thought that I would ever own an RV - let alone a 44’ one. When I bought the 313RLTS I figured 37’ was all I would need. When we started liking the RV lifestyle I told my wife that I was going to get a 1-ton DRW and be done with ever having to worry about whether we had enough truck. That allowed us to put every fifth wheel in play.

I use the F350 as my daily driver. The running boards and grip points make it easy to get in and out of. My wife has two bad knees but she can get in and out of the truck very easily.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tow a 337RLS 5th wheel with a F350 diesel Short Bed Crew Cab, 18” optional A/T tires, heavy optioned Lariat Ultimate.
    I use an Andersen Ultimate (37 lb) hitch and love it.

Payload of the truck per yellow door sticker is 3523 lbs
    The pin weight when loaded for travel is 2800-2900 lbs.
    the truck bed sags exactly 3” when the trailer is mounted
    With Andersen set to mid height I have 7.5” space from bed rails to bottom of 5th wheel front cap
    Front frame of 5th wheel is 1” higher than rear frame so it’s 1” nose high.
    I have about 100 lbs of remaining payload when traveling.
    450 lbs in cabin (driver, passenger, dog, parrot and cage, cooler)
    100 lbs in truck bed (37 lbs hitch, firewood, step stool)
    So 2900+450+100=3,450 lbs vs 3523 lbs payload.

The combo tows great, handles great and stops great due to disc brake conversion on the Reflection 337RLS. Night and day difference in stopping ability. Best $2,000 ever spent.

With the short bed and Andersen hitch the Max turn is about 75 degrees before getting front of trailer cap close to truck rear window.

Here are some pictures

Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we bought our last truck I wanted a sb and Marcy wanted the lb. Marcy won. Now that we have had it for awhile I am so glad we got the lb. It rides a lot better than the sb and that extra room for storage has been really handy. It doesn't take any time to get used to driving or parking a lb. Parking you learn to back in as it is easier. If you are where there is an island behind the spot the overhang behind the wheels help keep the truck in the parking space. When backed in it is also easier getting out of the parking space, that would hold true with a sb too. A lot of parking lots the truck wouldn't stick out of the parking spot much to be a problem. If it is a small parking space than you head to the back. Which isn't so bad, the exercise is good for us. Marcy does the driving and she handles that lb even with the trailer like a pro.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No issues towing a 5er with the 17-19 F350's. Yes, they are higher. I had an F350 CCSB Platinum PSD which comes with the 20in wheels. I was a bit nose high with the 28BH, but it was an early 18 model which came with 15in wheels. I upgraded them to 16in (now standard on newer GD's) wheels & tires and swapped out the equalizer and it sat fine. The only thing you may want to look at is an F350 with 18in tires which will save you a tad of height.

Not sure if you are looking at the gasser or diesel. I came from two previous Duramax trucks, and am very impressed with the performance of the Ford PSD. My truck is my daily driver, so I like my creature comforts and love the newer Fords. One thing to also consider is that you will likely want a slider and can get heavy and eat up payload depending if manual or auto (my Demco was 300#). A Diesel adds weight and eats up 1k# of payload... especially with lots of options.

As mentioned above... trucks become the limiter in upgrade paths. The fix for me on that subject was an F450. Still my daily driver, but won't be taking it downtown anytime soon.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is great information, thanks everyone! I ended up getting the 2019 F350 Diesel 6.7 SRW Short Bed Platinum yesterday. My bank account won't be happy for awhile, and I'm going to really miss the smooth ride of the Ram 1500 that I traded, but the Ford dealer actually gave me what I paid for the Ram a few months ago (I had gotten about 19k off MSRP at the time) and it's more about safety for my family when we're all loaded up than having a more comfortable ride when I'm driving around by myself.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the new purchase! You are going to love the truck. The massaging seats on the Platinum are nice to have on long trips.

Going back to your question of hitch - B&W are great hitches, made in the USA and built like a tank and great customer service. Many folks use the B&W manual slider - just have to make sure you lock and unlock the slide when needed and will be a great hitch. I have stopped by and talked with the B&W folks the last 3 years at SEMA - good all round folks which is why I just picked up a B&W 25K Companion (fixed hitch) for my F450. There are a couple of manual sliders on the market, but IMO B&W has the strongest following.

I preferred using an autoslider as you don't have to think about when to lock and unlock the slide... it just happens when needed. I had the Demco autoslide (in the for sale section) on the F350 CCSB - made in the USA, great customer service and built like a tank. Pullrite also makes an autoslide with a large following. Biggest difference besides how the jaws work is that the Demco is height adjustable, where the Pullrite is not. The downside of an autoslider is an the added weight. While I could put it in and remove by myself... it required the use of a harbor freight cherry picker to do so.

Other hitches to consider for a SB truck - the Andersen Ultimate Hitch which I have used on my 2500HD and also for a short while on the F350. Good hitch, very lightweight and very quiet (nothing to chuck or buck). Can pull it out by yourself in a matter of minutes and store on the wall in the garage. Downside is there are limitations on the max angle in a turn... but much better than if regular a fixed hitch is used. Just pay attention and will not be a problem and remember angles change when truck and trailer aren't on flat ground. With the Ford puck package, you will want to drill holes in the AUH base (approved by Andersen) so you can use the safety chains on the pucks that are covered up by the base. The Goosebox hitch is also a good option with a strong following, lots of good reviews and replaces the kingpin on the trailer. I've never used one, but I would think similar limitations on turning angle as the AUH... but I'd take it over a fixed hitch any day.

Enjoy that truck!
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for all the info! I'm 90% sure that I'm moving forward with the 31MB. I've got a few more questions on towing with my F350.

-I've read that you can't use the Anderson Ultimate hitch with the F350 short bed that has the 5th wheel prep, that the 5th wheel prep is too close to the cab. Is that right?

-The dealer is telling me that the Reflections aren't full profile 5th wheels like the Solitude's, that the front cap doesn't stick out quite as far and that turning is easier. He's still recommending a slider, but says I should be fine with a manual one and that the only time I will need it is when I'm backing into a campsite. Thoughts?

-Does the B&W companion slider have a pretty smooth ride? Low chucking?

-Do people typically replace the Kingpins to reduce chucking?

I'd like to get as smooth a ride as possible for my family in the cab of the truck.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody told me that I couldn’t use the Andersen with my 350. Darn it.

I have a 303RLS and 350 short bed (6’9”, it’s longer than the F150 short bed). Works fine. I had the fifth-wheel prep put in at the factory, and the puck system if great. When I’m not using the hitch, I just lift it out, remove the ball, and insert the plug. Looks and works like a standard pickup.

Originally, the dealer installed the top portion (attaches over the kingpin) so that it extended forward. I found that the pinbox was too close to the bedrails in a tight turn. I reversed it (you can set it up either way) and I found that it would clear the rails much better, as everything was moved up about 8 inches. I still had room to drop the tailgate when hooking up, as long as the truck was straight, in relation to the trailer.

I can get a nearly 90 degree turn, on flat ground, with mine. Not that I want to take it that tight, I don’t like the tires looking like they’re going to come off the rims in opposite directions. If I’m that tight, I just take another pull-up and adjust the angles. I’m careful when I’m not on level ground, and have never come very close to touching.

The cap on the 303 comes in from the front (at the bottom) and is slightly curved toward the sides of the unit. All of that helps with clearance.

Not sure of anything with the 31MB, just my experience with the 303 and 350.
    Last edited by Richter; 10-01-2019 at 07:00 PM.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast