Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: F350 or not?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F350 or not?

Hi - I'm new to the forum and have appreciated all the information I've been able to find on here. I recently bought a new 285BHTS TT and 2019 RAM 1500 with the air suspension. The specs of the trailer are within the limits of the truck (13k towing, 1,450 payload), but no matter what I try I am getting pushed around on the highway a ton. It just doesn't feel right. I think it's simply too much trailer for the 1500.

I'm willing to take the hit on the trade-in and move to a 1-Ton, with the intention of getting a 5th wheel within the next couple of years (or weeks knowing me). We have 2 young kids (1 and 4 years), and my wife spends a lot of time in the middle of the backseat at this point, so it has to be somewhat comfortable back there, which has limited us to Ford F350s. The 2019 Ram 3500s have an awful middle backseat, and the GMs have a small back seat area in general.

My concern is that the F350s sit super high, it looks like they are definitely higher than the other 1-Ton trucks. I don't want to end up getting rid of my 1500, getting an F350 so that I can get a 5th wheel, and then have to lower the truck or raise the 5th wheel.

Does anyone have a 2019 F350 SRW and a GD Reflection level 5th wheel and with this type of setup should I expect to have to make modifications to the F350 or 5th wheel to pair them up correctly?

Any advice with this setup or in general is appreciated!

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't advise on height issues but can on one thing, if you plan on a bunkhouse or longer trailer when you go 5er get a dually now instead of waiting to upgrade again
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and welcome to the forum!
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because of Pin weight or stability? We don't ever plan to get a huge 5er, something more like the 31MB or something maybe a little bigger. Don't want an 8ft bed. Truck will mainly be used for commute.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You shouldn't have a problem even with the new taller trucks with a new or later model 5th wheel. Grand design has gone to 16" wheels with larger profile tires and placed a 2" tubular spacer below the frame where the springs/axles attach which together raise the trailer 3" over older models. Here is my 2019 F350 diesel SB 4x4 and my 303RLS. The 31MB you mentioned is very close to GVWR and hitch weight of my 303RLS. My truck does not have any air bags or other modifications and both the truck and 5th wheel are very level.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0018.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	22812
    Last edited by HighFive; 09-27-2019 at 05:44 AM.
    2019 303RLS Reflection 5th Wheel
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 CC/SB/SRW 6.7L Diesel
    B&W Companion Slider Hitch

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timshoemaker View Post
    We don't ever plan to get a huge 5er, something more like the 31MB or something maybe a little bigger.
    Famous last words!

In all seriousness, while the pin weight is, in my mind, the key factor in dually versus no dually, the dually is incredibly stable.

That said, if you are absolutely, positively certain, there is no question that a SRW short bed is easier to manage for the daily commute. My 350 DRW is a daily driver. I always tell people that is is fine as a daily driver, it's the daily parking that is the challenge.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
    You shouldn't have a problem even with the new taller trucks with a new or later model 5th wheel. Grand design has gone to 16" wheels with larger profile tires and placed a 2" tubular spacer below the frame where the springs/axles attach which together raise the trailer 3" over older models. Here is my 2019 F350 diesel SB 4x4 and my 303RLS. The 31MB you mentioned is very close to GVWR and hitch weight of my 303RLS. My truck does not have any air bags or other modifications and both the truck and 5th wheel are very level.

Awesome, thanks for the info! Do you have 18" or 20" tires on your truck? The one I'm looking at is the FX4, do you know if that adds height? Do you happen to know your back tailgate bedrail height? I'm going to maybe get the truck today but am going to measure the bedrail height first.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
    Famous last words!

In all seriousness, while the pin weight is, in my mind, the key factor in dually versus no dually, the dually is incredibly stable.

That said, if you are absolutely, positively certain, there is no question that a SRW short bed is easier to manage for the daily commute. My 350 DRW is a daily driver. I always tell people that is is fine as a daily driver, it's the daily parking that is the challenge.
    Yeah, looking at the options out there the max pin I would go to is about 2500# and the f350 I'm looking at has payload capacity of about 3400#.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HighFive View Post

Second on the 350 with the 303RLS. Great set-up with the Andersen hitch. I’ve scaled mine with fill water, fuel, wife and self, and it’s just fine. Handles very well both on highways and in-town. It may be a little more than I needed (could have maxed out a 250), but it gives me that feeling of comfort and security. This is our last RV, moving up from a bumper-pull, so I didn’t feel the need for a dually. It’s also what I drive fairly regularly (being retired, I don’t go out each and every day), and I didn’t want to worry about finding a place to park a larger rig. I park this one out a ways in the parking lot, taking up 2 spaces because of the length, and get my exercise.

I got the 6.75’ bed and everything fits just fine.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richter View Post
    Second on the 350 with the 303RLS. Great set-up with the Andersen hitch. I’ve scaled mine with fill water, fuel, wife and self, and it’s just fine. Handles very well both on highways and in-town. It may be a little more than I needed (could have maxed out a 250), but it gives me that feeling of comfort and security. This is our last RV, moving up from a bumper-pull, so I didn’t feel the need for a dually. It’s also what I drive fairly regularly (being retired, I don’t go out each and every day), and I didn’t want to worry about finding a place to park a larger rig. I park this one out a ways in the parking lot, taking up 2 spaces because of the length, and get my exercise.

I got the 6.75’ bed and everything fits just fine.
    Thanks for the reply. Does yours have the FX4 or 4x4? 20" rims? I'm worried that the FX4 raises the truck even more.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast