User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: night travel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't do late night driving anymore. Somewhere in my 40's the midnight shift started hitting me pretty hard. By the time I was 50 they just hurt. The good news is we now have the time travel at a leisurely pace. Leave around 9 am, stop around 3 pm. We avoid most of the heavy traffic periods.

As far as bad drivers go I learned during my working days how to handle that. I had a 50 mile one way commute, 2 hours a day driving rush hour. Zoomers, cutters, slammers, and riders. I came into work one day biting everyone's head off, a little road rage buildup. Boss pulled me in and we had a chat. I realized I couldn't change the other drivers behavior, the only thing I could change was how I felt about it. So now I treat bad drivers pretty much the same way I do rain. I slow down, I am extra careful around them (and while it's raining), I don't fret about what should be, I deal with what is.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know how old you are (OP). I used to love to travel at night... when I was younger. As both my eyes and I age, I like it less and less. The glare from oncoming headlights really bothers me know. I also can't vary my sleep schedule like I could when I was young and in the Army working rotating shifts. The point brought up by Dean about check-in times at campgrounds is valid, too. All these things aside, the traffic - especially in major metropolitan areas - is much better.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I worked 19-years on the graveyard shift in law enforcement. I also see several of the same advantages to driving at night like minimal pedestrian & vehicular traffic, waiting lines are short or nonexistent.

But I can also say that there are also unique hazards to traveling during the "graveyard" hours. To name a few, animals cross the highways more frequently, impaired drivers & pedestrians, a certain criminal element tends to lurk during hours of darkness, roadways may, or may not be marked or lighted clearly/distinctly, some services are not available overnight, and the weather can be more extreme.

Just my 2-cents....safe travels!

-Diego

2017 Ford F350 DRW 6.7L Custom Ordered
    2018 GD Solitude 310GK
    40,900+Miles
    "Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself." -Potter Stewart

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s not just paranoia: Driving at night is actually more dangerous. Fatal accidents are three times more likely at night compared with the daytime, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Previous truck driver here. When my husband and I drive team, I had the night shift. I love driving at night because there is less traffic I've rarely had to sit in construction traffic or rush hour traffic driving at night. Being truck drivers, we are more comfortable in truck stops than most rv'er's so we would easily choose them over a rest area at night that might already be filled up. I don't know, for us we will probably do it but the other posters made great points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We purposely travel on Routes to avoid interstates. Its way more relaxing and stress free. You can site see and really see America. No need to drive at night this way. Yes it takes longer but worth it.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We usually leave for vacation trips after 6 Pm. It amazing how light the traffic gets after 8 Pm on Friday nights.

As for being cut off...you need to get and install a super, super loud...wet your pants...Horn! We have a 1950's 12V dual horn that someone gave us years ago from a semi. When my wife (driving the second vehicle) sees someone cut me off she asks if I, "Gave them the horn?".

Opinion: Don't buy a "toot" air horn. My brother bought one and we just laugh. Find one that sounds like a locomotive going down the freeway. People WILL look over their shoulder's next time!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helicopter951 View Post
    Has anyone tried driving the interstates at night to avoid some of the automobile traffic? We are tired of being cut off by cars entering the highway without any thought of yielding.
    Used to drive OTR with a trucking company and always enjoyed driving at night versus daytime for the exact same reason you are stating. Pick some nice truck stops along the way to stay at during the day (some noise will be heard) at or just hit a Walmart or another large parking lot and stay for the day in your camper.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like night too, have not done it for a long time. I do have a concern for the animals being more active, like deer or antelope for example.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We do a 7am to 3pm or 4pm drive time. I appreciate your post because you've figured out the key to a healthier life - reduce your stress!

One cannot change the way others drive, we can only change how we deal with it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast