User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: night travel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

night travel

Has anyone tried driving the interstates at night to avoid some of the automobile traffic? We are tired of being cut off by cars entering the highway without any thought of yielding.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It makes some sense if your circadian rhythms can handle it. There will be less opportunities for refueling except truck stops but that may or may not be an issue.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds like a good plan until you get tired at 7am and the campground you are headed to doesn't allow you to check in until sometime after noon.
    ~Dean

2019 Ford F250 Supercab, 6.2L
    2023 GD Imagine AIM 18BH
    2012 Harley FLHRC, Deep Purple,; 2012 Honda PCX150
    "Auctioneer, specializing in FL onsite auctions"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helicopter951 View Post
    Has anyone tried driving the interstates at night to avoid some of the automobile traffic? We are tired of being cut off by cars entering the highway without any thought of yielding.
    Way back in the early 70's I drove a tank truck for Texaco...I always liked driving at night compared to daytime driving. My shift was 6pm to 4am or whenever we finished our loads. Drivers today are not paying attention to what's going on...probably offspring of the bad driver's in the 60's and 70's that I was exposed to!! Rain..fog and even snow were things I didn't like driving in at night but we had no choice.
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 377MBS

2017 Ford F-350 Lariat DRW...FX4...4.10's...White Gold/Caribou with Black interior. Curt Q20 hitch. BakFlip MX4

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We haven't. I prefer traveling in the daytime, when your visibility is better. Especially for older drivers.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As pointed out, it can be nicer. In some cases it seems that even though there are fewer cars, there are more trucks! If you go through Ohio on their turnpike, the rest stops all have RV spots with power and water. AND they are empty during the day!
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too many times I've seen them merge without even looking. No signal and they just expect you to slow down or move over even when you can't. Last year I had someone merging and I got into the left lane to let him in and he kept coming into the lane I was in and we hit at 70 mph. Messed up my mirror and scuffed the doors. Knocked his mirror off and messed up his pickup's doors...could have been a lot worse. Said he wasn't paying attention and got a ticket for improper lane usage.
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 377MBS

2017 Ford F-350 Lariat DRW...FX4...4.10's...White Gold/Caribou with Black interior. Curt Q20 hitch. BakFlip MX4

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer night time or super early in the morning driving whenever possible. Less traffic, less waits at truck stops, all the passengers are sleeping and I can put on whatever I want on the radio, less bathroom stops too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MUCH prefer driving at night - especially if you have to drive through a metropolitan area like Atlanta. I had to make a few runs between Ft. Myers, FL and Blairsville GA. I would time it so that I was hitting Atlanta around 3:00 am. It was a very pleasant trip on I-75 in the middle of the night. I would hit a rest area and catch the occasional power nap as needed.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been doing it for years. Of course, I'm at a bit of an advantage, as I've worked night shift for 25+ years. Way less morons to deal with, and I usually have to navigate around Philly. Baltimore and D.C. It does make it a bit harder for the passengers, as they try to sleep in the truck, not so comfy. Got to the point I even do it when returning home from a 2 week trip and 650 miles. I'm always more alert with the camper hooked up anyway, so don't usually get too tired to drive. My son tried it a couple times, but he rather leaves early early morning rather than driving all night. Noticeable difference when it gets to be daylite!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast