User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Experience Installing EMS-HW50C in Imagine?

I am getting ready to install the Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C in my Imagine 2670MK. Any feedback on installation appreciated. Particularly interested in recommended location of control unit and remote display.

Buckaroo
    Buckaroo
    2020 Imagine 2670MK
    2017 Tundra DC 4WD TRD

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too am interested in this modification. Anybody willing to share their results. Also, curious where everyone mounted their monitor.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i did the installation. Pulled out the fuse panel and the drawers above. Located it on the floor beside the furnace and the converter. I did install some foil bubble wrap insulation between the HW50C and the furnace although not sure it was necessary. I was going to install the display with the rest of the controls just inside the entry door but decided to just install it inside the closet above the unit. In use there is a continuous LED scroll so it's not a bad thing to have that hidden away - you only need the info occasionally. Working good.

Buckaroo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Imagine Electrical Panel Cubby.jpg   EMS Location.jpg  
    Last edited by Buckaroo; 03-24-2020 at 07:07 PM.
    Buckaroo
    2020 Imagine 2670MK
    2017 Tundra DC 4WD TRD

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
    i did the installation. Pulled out the fuse panel and the drawers above. Located it on the floor beside the furnace and the converter. I did install some foil bubble wrap insulation between the HW50C and the furnace although not sure it was necessary. I was going to install the display with the rest of the controls just inside the entry door but decided to just install it inside the closet above the unit. In use there is a continuous LED scroll so it's not a bad thing to have that hidden away - you only need the info occasionally. Working good.

Buckaroo
    I just started this install on my 2670MK. Those wires are tough to work with for sure. I ended up buying a 4' section of 6g and wired it into the output side. I am waiting to hear back from Progressive because they reference arrows on the current sensor. I could not find any arrows on my current sensors. Also, no green tape. Just a green line. Looks like a sharpie, so that's what I went with.

Next, I will disconnect input to panel and reconnect to input on unit. Then, take the output wires and connect to the panel. Plenty of wire in there so I may not even have to pull the panel.

Question. how did you mount the unit? Not sure how thick the floor is or what is underneath. My plan is to mount on a piece of 1/2" or 3/4 scrap then screw that to the floor in case of water intrusion.

I have been taking pictures, so my plan is to post when complete.

Jeff
    Last edited by McDugals; 03-29-2020 at 07:30 AM.
    Jeff & Sherry
    2020 Imagine 2670MK
    2019 F150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4,
    HDPP, Max Tow, 6.5, ProPride

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I recall, I had a question about the orientation of the sensors but forget exactly. The markings were not as described in the installation instruction. I think it may have been what you are experiencing and called them to verify. It was as I expected so you are probably right but best to verify. Yes, the wires are hard to manage. Very stiff. I used the existing cable on the input side but wired the output side at my dining room table so easier to deal with the sensors. The distribution panel comes out/goes back in easily so don't hesitate to do that if it helps. I just used handy screws (likely drywall screws or equivalent) to fasten it to the plywood floor. Something that has threads going almost to the head as the plywood is not all that thick. I mounted directly to the floor. You just don't want it flopping around in there. I rolled up the output wire and used a zip tie to secure it before I put the panel back in. Also, I put some bubble foil sided insulation in between the unit and the furnace because I didn't like it being so close. I was interested to fire it up on my 50 amp/240V garage outlet to see what would happen. Was very happy - no issues.

Buckaroo
    Last edited by Buckaroo; 03-29-2020 at 11:43 AM.
    Buckaroo
    2020 Imagine 2670MK
    2017 Tundra DC 4WD TRD

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put a pc of 1/2" plywood vertically on the inside of the cabinet (looking in with the drawers removed) to the right of the power center and then mounted the EMS to that. I made the plywood wide enough to screw them into the stiles of the cabinet. My wife is sensitive to flashing lights when we are trying to fall asleep, so I mounted the control panel in the bathroom, underneath the cubbies where the towels are stored. Real easy access from inside the cabinet when the drawers are removed. Bonus is that when I plug the trailer into the pedestal, or my house outlet, I just need to open the trailer door and look into the bathroom, the monitor panel is right there and I can watch it cycle thru until the power comes on. The EMS is the very first thing I installed when I brought the trailer home.

I just changed out the batteries to (2) 6v golf cart batteries, and bought a Victron 712 battery monitor. I am going to mount the monitor panel for that right under the panel for the EMS. It's a handy spot!
    Last edited by Misterpiano; 03-29-2020 at 03:35 PM.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally finished my install. I ran into a problem with the unit rubbing up against the propane line to the furnace. There is also a grommet there that prevented it from sitting flat on the floor. I fabricated a 3-sided box out of 2x4, attached a piece of aluminum angle to it to secure the box to the floor. It provided clearance from the propane line. Also added a piece of insulation to provide a thermal barrier from the furnace. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pics to share. Kind of a PIA to work in that area, but overall it's doable.
    Jeff & Sherry
    2020 Imagine 2670MK
    2019 F150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4,
    HDPP, Max Tow, 6.5, ProPride

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is too late for your project, but in case others look here for helpful info:
    - the arrows on the current sensor coils are molded into the plastic on the coil cover. If you look closely (or feel) you will find them on one side of the plastic coil cover. The coils should be positioned such that the side of the coil that has the arrow molded in is closest to the output/load terminals that you connected the output wires to. Hopefully that makes sense.
    - one of the coils has a green sharpie mark on the sticker - that is the one that is called "green".
    Mark
    2020 Reflection 303RLS 2019 Ram 3500 SRW Laramie HO Cummins
    2018 Flagstaff Shamrock 21SS Hybrid (previous)