Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this the dreaded "greasy brake"?

Had this 2016 313RLTS for about a year, light use by original owner. Still working on bugs. Have never been impressed with the TT brakes. Thanks to this Forum, I did the visual on all 4, and I'm not sure about the severity of these. Got pictures of all 4. The stock, "Lippert" brand, and I see the problem... the internal grease seal is basically free-floating and does not serve to keep grease from the shoe compartment. Will GD help to make this right, being second owner and all? Thanks for your time, Wally
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2811.jpg   IMG_2819.jpg   IMG_2815.jpg  
    Last edited by wallymann; 09-28-2019 at 04:46 PM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Wally,

The LCI/GDRV service recommendation/requirement is that the hubs be pulled at least once every year for cleaning and repacking of the bearings, replacement of the rear seal and inspection of the brakes. For a 2016 rig, this should have happened two or three times already. You can certainly ask GDRV . . . but I think you are well past the time where this should have been resolved.

Rob
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 09-28-2019 at 05:23 PM.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Contact Lippert Customer Service - 574-537-8900 , they in the past have helped resolved this issue for 2nd owners. There's nothing to loose by trying,
    You can try GD first but they'll likely toss you over to Lippert.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wise words! This was about 10K of mileage, judging by original tires. I don't see myself being comfortable with Lippert replacements (if offered), so I probably go with Dexter. Thanks much!
    Last edited by wallymann; 09-28-2019 at 05:45 PM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best way to resolve is to go with disc brake conversion. Amazing difference in braking ability and leaking grease seals rarely an issue. It will run you about $1500 in parts for a complete kit and about $500 in labor if you don’t want to install them yourself.
    Many of us bought kits from Bill at https://stopyourtrailer.com/
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disc's !

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    Best way to resolve is to go with disc brake conversion. Amazing difference in braking ability and leaking grease seals rarely an issue. It will run you about $1500 in parts for a complete kit and about $500 in labor if you don’t want to install them yourself.
    Jerry,
    Thanks much..a great idea..just put in my info for a quote!
    Wally & Jane Mann
    2016 313RLTS, Titan Disc brakes
    2016 Ram 3500 TD, 4x4 SRW, Crewcab, Longbed

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wally,

There’s no one who converted to disc brakes that I’ve ever read negative comments about the conversion.

Bill, the owner of stopyourtrailer.com recommended a local installer. I called the installer to confirm install labor price and Bill shipped the kit directly to the install shop. The kit is very heavy.

The installer wanted to inventory that all parts were received before they scheduled the installation. Two days later I drove to the shop and it was installed. It took them from 9am-5pm. One guy working in the am and 2 techs in the afternoon so it was about 10 man hours.

I just reviewed by bills and in March of 2017 it was $1,410 for the kit delivered and $640 for install labor.

Others may chime in with a shop, Performance Trailer Brakes, that has a traveling mobile team comes to you,
    Last edited by Jerryr; 09-29-2019 at 10:08 AM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Contact Lippert Customer Service - 574-537-8900 , they in the past have helped resolved this issue for 2nd owners. There's nothing to loose by trying,
    You can try GD first but they'll likely toss you over to Lippert.
    It's a well known issue with the earlier trailers. I think it was 2018 when they changed to Dexter.

Sent from my old rotary phone using Tapatalk [emoji3513]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used Performance Trailer Braking and cannot find words to express how wonderful the installation was done. I travel all winter up and down mountain passes to and from ski resorts and cannot believe the difference from the OEM brakes. Can usually do just fine with the brake control set at 7, sometimes 6.5.

Josh and Heather were the installers. They travel around the country and install after being dispatched from the main HQ. Parts were delivered to my house and the job was completed in 1 day in my driveway.

Also went with Morryde heavy duty shackles, wet bolts and x-factor brace at the same time as disk brake install.

Highly recommended.
    https://performancetrailerbraking.com
    2018 Solitude 310GK-R
    Titan Disk Brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000 with X Factor Crossmember
    2022 GMC 3500HD Duramax Crew Cab, 4x4, SRW 6’ box
    Factory 5th/Gooseneck Prep with 20K Reese Goosebox

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    I second what Jerry said. I had the same problem as you - bought a used 2016 313RLTS and discovered the greasy brakes. I paid about $800 out of my pocket to get them cleaned and repaired. Called GDRV on the phone, explained the situation (this was in 2017, trailer was just over 1 year old) and the moment they heard “used” they completely blew me off. I ended up getting in touch with Lippert directly, and they reimbursed me for what I spent. After that I went and got the disc brakes installed. $1,695 for parts and $1,000 labor. They came right to my house in Ft. Myers from Oklahoma to install them. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The trailer can truly stop the truck now.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast