Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Discs!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    Wally,

There’s no one who converted to disc brakes that I’ve ever read negative comments about the conversion.

Bill, the owner of stopyourtrailer.com recommended a local installer. I called the installer to confirm install labor price and Bill shipped the kit directly to the install shop. The kit is very heavy.

The installer wanted to inventory that all parts were received before they scheduled the installation. Two days later I drove to the shop and it was installed. It took them from 9am-5pm. One guy working in the am and 2 techs in the afternoon so it was about 10 man hours.

I just reviewed by bills and in March of 2017 it was $1,410 for the kit delivered and $640 for install labor.

Others may chime in with a shop, Performance Trailer Brakes, that has a traveling mobile team comes to you,
    Jerry!
    The price looks right, just trying to decide whether I should take on the installation myself. You and I have the same trailer, except mine is the travel trailer version. Where do you have your pump and controller mounted?. That is the only issue I have. Plus, trying to find routing with the undercarriage, being insulated and covered... largely inaccessible. Thanks so much for your help, Wally
    Last edited by wallymann; 09-30-2019 at 08:59 AM.
    Wally & Jane Mann
    2016 313RLTS, Titan Disc brakes
    2016 Ram 3500 TD, 4x4 SRW, Crewcab, Longbed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Mark! I 'll probably give them a call, installation options here not being numerous.
    Wally & Jane Mann

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jim! We're trailer twinkies! Where did they install the pump/control unit...that's what I'm scratching my head about, should I install myself.
    Wally & Jane Mann

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They installed it on the front of the trailer, curb side, on the frame just in front of the coach.

BTW, I used Performance Trailer Brakes.
    Last edited by jim1521; 09-30-2019 at 04:12 PM.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking that way would be the easiest, not having to enter then exit the coach like all the 5th wheelers do , as seen on some install vids... ( no TT install vids??? I am appalled) . Just was not sure about the durability of the unit mounted exteriorly. Thanks for responses and your time, wally
    Wally & Jane Mann

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wallymann View Post
    Had this 2016 313RLTS for about a year, light use by original owner. Still working on bugs. Have never been impressed with the TT brakes. Thanks to this Forum, I did the visual on all 4, and I'm not sure about the severity of these. Got pictures of all 4. The stock, "Lippert" brand, and I see the problem... the internal grease seal is basically free-floating and does not serve to keep grease from the shoe compartment. Will GD help to make this right, being second owner and all? Thanks for your time, Wally
    I read somewhere when GD changed over but can't seem to find it. Anybody know?
    Retired SF Sergeant Major
    Retired Sheriff's detective

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Contact Lippert Customer Service - 574-537-8900 , they in the past have helped resolved this issue for 2nd owners. There's nothing to loose by trying,
    You can try GD first but they'll likely toss you over to Lippert.
    Hi everyone. I confused (normal these days). We have a 2016 Solitude 379FL. We also bought ours from a private owner that used it exactly two weekends, and it looked that way. Ours was built late in the 2016 model year so we had hoped we were passed the grease leaking era. I called Lippert Customer Service to find out exactly which axles we had because we were contemplating a disc brake conversion. When I asked Lippert about the greasy brake problems they stated emphatically that they "have NEVER warranteed any parts for Grand Design for leaking grease into the brakes". I have already read about owners getting new brake parts. Hence the confusion.

That being said, I noticed that the stopping power for our unit was becoming somewhat anemic. As a precaution I took one apart and found a "film" on the drum. I cleaned it and put it back together. I almost let it go at that, but being so cynical I decided to look at another one. This one had obvious leakage outside the bearing. All four had leakage, but the last one was loaded up with grease and with oil from the grease running down the wall of the drum in several places. $18 worth of seals from General RV and some MEK to clean the parts it was all fixed. I could find nothing to cause this problem except that the seals leaked. I found out that there is another seal that is identical except for a few thousandths of an inch larger inside diameter. Maybe they got the wrong ones the first time? Kinda hard to stop 14,000 lbs. with slippery brakes...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SF-SGM View Post
    I read somewhere when GD changed over but can't seem to find it. Anybody know?
    They changed over to Dexter in 2018 (I believe). I know they changed, just not sure of the date.

Also, LCI didn’t reimburse me as a “warranty” claim, but rather as a “goodwill gesture”. That allows them to not set a precedent.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to update: My axels are right near max, with empty trailer. This is a "sort of" a practice industry wide...does save $$. That being the case and knowing that there exists a chuckhole with my axels name on it, I worked with Bill at stopmytrailer.com, and he made a deal I couldn't refuse, $2500 for Titans disc brakes and 2x 6K Dexter axels with springs. Labor will be around $1K. Thanks for all the help and info...and Everyday is a learning experience RVing! Wally
    Wally & Jane Mann

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine the same...all 4 inner seal were loose and floating.
    Wally & Jane Mann

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12