User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suspension Ride Height

Ford trucks seem to have a higher bed rail height than other tow vehicles.
    I tow a Reflection 303RLS with an F150. Pin weight is OK with Max Payload truck suspension.
    I can trim my truck to a more comfortable ride with the Airlift bags, but this lifts the front of the trailer by a couple of inches, loading the rear trailer tires more than the front.
    What would fix this (and there are similar comments on this forum from F250 and F350 owners towing larger GD 5th's) would be a way to lift the trailer suspension by a couple of inches above the axles.
    This would be simply spacer blocks and longer U bolts. I have no idea what Lippert would think of this . . . but this is a GD-to-Ford tow vehicle concern . . . so I think this belongs to GD.

GD perspective ??

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you adjust the 5th wheel hitch that's on the 303 so it's sits closer to the frame. There are adjustable holes on the hitch. I have the AirLift bags and I set them at 40 lbs when I tow my 303. It rides great! I tow with a 2013 GMC Sierra 4x4 Extended cab 6.0 V8 Z71 package. I think part of the problem is they put 15 inch tires on the 303.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I done all this (Post is in the Reflection Forum) to gain 2" of ride height. This is not an easy fix

The 337 will make your truck squat 2", with 8" of bed clearance you will be 4" nose high. I actually installed correct track over the existing correct tract to gain 2" lift. To do what I described involves some fab work, so I don't know if you want to go that route or not. I cut the hanger bends that hold the correct tract cam in place off my trailer. You can't install the aftermarket correct track on top of correct track. After cutting the factory ears off the factory hanger you then have a smooth spring hanger to apply the aftermarket correct track on. Since the factory welded correct track hanger has a slotted adjustment hole at the bottom, and you put the aftermarket bolt through it you must weld the correct track to the factory hanger. This sounds like a lot of work to gain 2" of height, but I am very concerned with towing as level as possible, I am now very close. If you are not overly concerned, you will be around 4" nose high if you require 8" bed clearance. If you can get by with less than 8" bed clearance, you can get close to level right away.
    Steve and Schlonda- Virgie, Kentucky
    2017 Momentum 328M
    Morryde 8K Independent Suspension, Disk Brakes
    2021 GMC Denali 3500 SRW
    Airlift Wireless Air
    B&W Companion Slider

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Lucky View Post
    Can you adjust the 5th wheel hitch that's on the 303 so it's sits closer to the frame. There are adjustable holes on the hitch. I have the AirLift bags and I set them at 40 lbs when I tow my 303. It rides great! I tow with a 2013 GMC Sierra 4x4 Extended cab 6.0 V8 Z71 package. I think part of the problem is they put 15 inch tires on the 303.
    The pin box is set at the factory in the second set of holes from the bottom-most position and can be moved one set of holes up or down...they're on 1" centers. I had the opposite problem with our set-up in that the camper nose was lower than level and I didn't want to raise the hitch position in the truck so I lowered the pin box to it's lowest settings. If you want to raise the pin box one set holes it will bring the camper nose down 1" but you'll also lose a inch of clearance between the truck and the camper's overhang.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm already down to 5" between the trailer overhang and the truck box rails.
    So, further raising of the pin or lowering the hitch is probably not a good idea.
    Spacer blocks between the springs and axles looks to be a reasonable option.
    Check out http://www.trailerblocks.com/collect...in-wide-spring
    This would also add clearance for larger diameter tires on 16" rims.
    Elsewhere on this forum, GD recommends 4" jounce clearance unloaded and we are sitting at 3" clearance loaded.
    So, 1" blocks would allow 2" larger tire diameter, keeping current jounce clearance and gaining 2" frame lift at the suspension location. Unless I am missing something here ??
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS